Start by marking “Mungo and the Spiders from Space” as Want to Read:
Mungo and the Spiders from Space

Mungo and the Spiders from Space

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  43 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . . Blast off! Mungo is set for the space adventure of a lifetime, until he fi nds the final pages of his new comic book have been - noooo! - ripped out. Even more alarming, Mungo has been pulled in! Into the book, that is. Can this pajama-clad boy defeat the evil Dr. Frankenstinker? Can he stand his ground against a gnashing, slashing Gobblebeast? Can ...more
Published April 2nd 2009 by Dial (first published December 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mungo and the Spiders from Space, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mungo and the Spiders from Space

Katie Antrobus
Nov 03, 2013 Katie Antrobus rated it really liked it
10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…lift off! Mungo and the Spider’s from Space is a fantastic read. It explores the adventure of young Mungo who’s got a new comic book which his mother bought for him. Even though it’s used, ripped and torn his mother knew that he’d love it. That very night he asks her to read it to him and she agrees. He takes an instant interest in the comic and is thoroughly enjoying the read until he realises that some of the pages are missing, unfortunately they've been ripped out. Howeve ...more
Tasha
Mar 17, 2009 Tasha rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Mungo has just gotten a new comic book. It’s used, battered and torn but his mother knew he would love it. So when he asks to have it read to him that very night, she agrees. The story is about Captain Galacticus of Star Squadron and his robotic sidekick, Gizmo. They are taking the Gobblebeast to the space prison when they are caught in a giant spider web. A spider web created by giant robot spiders that are controlled and created by Dr. Frankenstinker. When Captain Galacticus is trapped by the ...more
Norman
Jan 15, 2016 Norman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good children's picture book romp. The story of a boy, whose Mum buys a secomdhand taty copy of a space adventure and the climax is missing so he makes it up and has an exciting adventure himself. Beautiful illustrations by Adam Stower
Shelli
May 23, 2015 Shelli rated it it was amazing
This is an exciting comic/picture book adventure through space that kids will love! A fantastic read aloud where readers can showcase their voice changeup skills to add to the fun. Loved it!
Roger
May 22, 2015 Roger rated it liked it
Shelves: children
The pictures are way better than the story. They are reminiscent of Calvin & Hobbes. Fantastic colors and perspectives that bring you right in.
Kathy
Aug 11, 2014 Kathy rated it it was amazing
my little boy loved this. we read it over and over. the pictures are very detailed and fun for the little ones to examine
Garren
Jan 23, 2016 Garren rated it liked it
Pulpy space adventure with a postmodern picturebook twist. There's a lot to enjoy here.
Tara
Jul 04, 2011 Tara rated it liked it
Shelves: kristi-books
I like the story within a story concept of this book. I think boys (and girls!) ages 5-7 would go crazy over this book because it has a cute comic-book like format. At almost 2 years, K wasn't too interested in the book, I think mostly because there aren't any everyday items in the pictures for her to connect with (we don't really have aliens hanging around all the time, crazy, huh?)
Doni
Feb 11, 2011 Doni added it
Shelves: picture-book
I'm beginning to recognize the complexity of picture books. This one emulates the style of a comic book and is recommended in Teaching Visual Literacy as a means of focusing on the visual structure of the narrative. It has a very silly, colorful to it.
Hillary Hayman
Oct 21, 2012 Hillary Hayman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-book
Attention grabing picturebook about a boy who gets swept into his own story. The art in this part traditional part comic book story is great. My reluctant reader little brother has read it to everyone in the house!
Ame
This is the best freaking book! I totally got it for my reading pleasure and not for Warren in the least bit. Why? Dr. Frankenstinker. That's all the reason you need. Get this damn book!
Laura Rogers
Dec 05, 2009 Laura Rogers rated it really liked it
Shelves: whitman
Having a six year old boy, I have to give this a big thumbs up. I anticipate the shared glee in reading this one tonight.
Superhero story with a all the trimmings...
Feb 12, 2010 Laura rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
This is an excellent book for practicing your reading-out-loud robot, super-hero, and super-villian voices. A bit hit with both the 3 and the 6 year old.
Maria
Jan 08, 2014 Maria rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scifriday
This book was so much fun! I loved the language, and how they incorporated comic style panels and phrasing.
Mahdi
Jan 25, 2013 Mahdi rated it really liked it
that was amazing how did you make it wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwooooooooooooo
Alfajirikali
Sep 27, 2009 Alfajirikali rated it did not like it
Athena enjoyed the concept of this book.
Kim
Kim rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2016
Tara
Tara added it
Feb 17, 2016
Sissi Schiegg-Zeiser
Sissi Schiegg-Zeiser rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2015
Joshua
Joshua rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2015
Leeta
Leeta marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Aiyah
Aiyah marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
Josh
Josh marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2015
Eric Weilnau
Eric Weilnau rated it liked it
May 28, 2015
Jake
Jake marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Elfin
Elfin marked it as to-read
May 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 next »
Timothy Knapman has written many books for children, including Mungo and the Picture Book Pirates, Dinosaurs in the Supermarket and Eleanor's Eyebrows. He also writes plays and co-writes musicals.

Timothy Knapman is available in a range of colours, and is washable.
More about Timothy Knapman...