I Started Crying Monday

I Started Crying Monday

3.25 of 5 stars 3.25  ·  rating details  ·  8 ratings  ·  2 reviews
Laurene Kelly’s first young adult novel introduces us to fourteen-year-old Julie, who is struggling with a terrible home life, but could never imagine the horror that is about to destroy her family forever. She dreams of a new life, away from her abusive father, but when her mother doesn’t arrive to meet Julie and her brother Toby after school as planned, her hopes are sha...more
Published April 28th 1999 by Spinifex Press (first published April 1st 1999)

Watermelon Daisy
I Started Crying Monday would’ve been a brilliant book if it was longer.

For starters, I barely cared about Julie. I realise the whole story was concise and written in the fewest words possible, but that didn’t help my impression of the main character. From my perspective, she was just another kid at school with problems. No personality, no depth –there was nothing allowing me to relate to her.

Also, the sentence structure was terrible. Short sentences without commas, even when they’re required. N...more
The Book Mystress
AMAZING REview soon!!
Gothsparkleprincess
Gothsparkleprincess marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Melissa Lamb
Melissa Lamb marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Ramisa
Ramisa added it
Nov 30, 2013
Melissa Taurima
Melissa Taurima marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Adele
Adele marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2013
Rae Hachton
Rae Hachton marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2012
J.N.
J.N. marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2012
Kimberley
Kimberley marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2011
Laurene Kelly has worked with abused children and women in refuges for many years and now works part time as a carer of children. She is the author of a trilogy of novels, I Started Crying Monday, The Crowded Beach, and Still Waving. Her books are widely read in secondary schools.

Her interest in young adult fiction derives from a wish to give hope to teenagers in our often chaotic and confusing w...more
More about Laurene Kelly...
The Crowded Beach Still Waving I Started Crying Monday Give Me Shelter Sledgehammer: Women's Imprisonment At The Millennium