Start by marking “The Block Mess Monster” as Want to Read:
The Block Mess Monster

The Block Mess Monster

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  59 ratings  ·  24 reviews
The Block Mess Monster is huge. He’s really scary. And he does not like it when Calpurnia’s room has to be cleaned up. Even though Mom can’t see the monster, the monster can see her, and Calpurnia has had to save her many times.

This time, though,Mom might just have a few tricks up her sleeve . . .
Published May 27th 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about The Block Mess Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Block Mess Monster

Brigid Keely
Calpurnia is a serial-costume-wearer and she has a problem. Namely, her messy room has taken on a life of its own, a threatening one. Her mom wants her to clean it up, but Calpurnia is scared of the monster mess. How can her mom not see it?

It's a cute book with cute illustrations. However, my one big nitpick is that Calpurnia seems to dress up as a Native American, complete with feathered headband. Cultures are not costumes and it's disheartening to see a vibrant group of human beings reduced to
Jessica
Jul 12, 2008 Jessica rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves reading their kids' books with a little bit of feeling
Shelves: picture-books
Here's a new book my daughter and I found at the library and have had a lot of fun with. Calpurnia's mom wants her to clean up her room, but Calpurnia is prevented from doing so because of the ever lurking "Block Mess Monster."

I love reading this book because I can really throw myself into the role with lines like "Clean up your room, Calpurnia!" and "Calpurnia, I'm losing my patience!" My daughter has also integrated "Goodness gracious, Calpurnia!" into her daily repertoire of retorts and rand
Genevieve Geiser
My little brother got this book from the library.I thought I might like it so I read it . But I didn't like it much.
Kelly
The main character--a kid--has a problem, and an adult solves it for her. How boring for a kid to have to listen to a story like that. Listen to this ending: "Sometimes it's hard for Mom to pay attention. But when she finally does, she comes up with the best ideas."[return][return]I'm a mom, and reading that made even *me* cringe![return][return]Don't waste your time on this book. There are so many other great picture books out there.
Joenna
Calpurnia has a monster in her room made out of building blocks, the Block Mess Monster. She can't clean it up, or the monster will get mad at her. Her mother is loosing her patience and has an idea to have the monster help clean Calpurnia's room. It seems to work, and the Block Mess Monster can finally be put away.
Kyla
This book had a lot of good illustrations. I think it would be good when trying to get students to learn about cleaning up. This books all about a young child who doesn't want to clean because the blocks have turned into a monster and they must fight them off first. It reminded me a lot of an Amelia Bedilia book.
Elizabeth S
I was told that this book is great for starting discussions with your kids about cleaning their rooms. And it is! Plus creative and clever and fun to read. I just wish that after reading it together my kids had responded by cleaning their rooms, rather than handing me the next book to read out-loud. :)
Becky
Calpurnia has a problem. There is a block mess monster in her room that will not go away, but Calpurnia's mother wants Calpurnia to clean her room and get rid of the monster. One can sense the frustration Calpurnia has as well as her mother. A different way at looking at a common problem.
Larecia
Cute story about a young girl with a very messy room, she is convinced that her messy pile of blocks in her room is really a monster and tries to convince her mom to come attack it for her, or really clean up her daughter's mess. About responsibility and learning to take care of your own messes.
Kaylee Gallup
The little girl in this room won't clean her room because of a monster. But in the end, her mom finds a way to play along and get the monster to clean itself up. Not a great book-no moral or lesson or problem solving for the child/main character.
Melanie
Found this little gem at the library. After repeated check-outs/renewals due to overwhelming request to have it read, coupled with pure sadness each time it was returned, we ended up buying this book.
Tricia
More of a challenge in cleaning up than a straight monster book, this title starring sometimes snarky Calpurnia is just plain cute. May or may not be part of the Monster Mash!
Erin
Illustrations are nice. I like the concept of "block mess monster" but the ending was quick. Overall, a cute book with a great point of view of a child.
bookme4life
3.5 STARS

A cute story of a little girl whose mother keeps telling her to clean her room, but she can't.... because the mess is actually a monster!
Guadalupe Ramirez
I think this book is cute to read to younger children. It talks about taking responsibility to clean up after yourself.
Katharine Sadler
We just got this from the library yesterday and we have already read it about fifteen times. My two-year-old loves it!
Savannah
A good book to use to get young students to understand the importance of cleaning up behind themselves.
Mary Ann
This is a delightful book told from a child's point of view on cleaning up her room.
Leslie Mello

Illustrations are wonderful!!!! C.B. Decker is unbelievable!
Polly
I like the pictures, but the story is somehow lacking.
Suzanne
The concept was cute but it fell kinda flat.
Nov 05, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
cute book.
Carrie
Jun 27, 2009 Carrie added it
Shelves: childrens-books
Very cute
Mirissa Foust
Mirissa Foust marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Callie's Tally: An Accounting of Baby's First Year (Or, What My Daughter Owes Me) Dustfinger's Magical World Of Inkheart Snow unscripted Unfamous by Lainey McBride (Drama Diaries, #2)