Start by marking “Found” as Want to Read:
Found

Found

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Left to fend for herself in a deserted 21st-century countryside, Ren joins forces with three other teens to save an abandoned baby, as well as herself, in this epic adventure about finding one s place in the world. Richly imagined and powerful.
Published June 29th 1998 by Puffin (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found

Alison
This book was incredibly odd and intense in terms of what I could consider typical YA or kid lit. The description of the kids' surroundings--and the conditions the characters are living in-- are so intense, I found myself wondering every single time I picked it up whether I would've been able to get through it or even understand it when I was a kid. (I had a hard enough time getting through it as an adult!) I don't like futuristic-y, sci-fi -ish stuff very much at all, but this one was a good mi ...more
Kayleigh
It's been years since I read this book, but it's stuck with me--partly because it was one of my first encounters with dystopian literature, and partly because it was such a disappointment.

I really, really wanted to like it; the story sounded powerful and intriguing. But there were just too many things wrong with it.
First, that Ren's mother is so cavalier about just throwing her daughter away. Okay, I understand that she can't afford to take care of two children, but the woman not only makes abs
Nesa Sivagnanam
The time is the twenty-first century
when the countryside is almost deserted,
when people work at computers in living-work units,
and those without work live on the streets,
when in the living-work units there is a tax on excess children,
and when the street people are hounded by patrols.

Then some seek other places, passing through
the wide dales
and over the high fells.

And one late autumn, two fleeing from the towns
--and fearing pursuit---
make an unexpected discovery.
They are joined by two o
Darci
I read this so long ago, maybe before dystopian ya post-apocalypse novels became in vogue. However, I don't know why this didn't take off like The Hunger Games, because it is worthy of being compared to that, The Maze Runner, Divergent and The Giver. There are strong characters and a plot that will make you root for them. There is no e-copy on amazon or bn. Perhaps it is out of print, which would be very unfortunate. Buy a used copy! You won't regret it.
Tracy
Read with Ethan for his nightly reading assignment. Pretty dark and creepy story. Guess it's what you get when he's reading two grade levels above his own! Overall, it was a good read!
Emily
Found was... Okay. Just okay. It had its moments... And it definitely pulled on my heart strings every once in a while. But I didn't like how little we knew about their pasts (with the exception of Brocket), and I really didn't like how they didn't expand on the end. It frustrated me that the people I wanted to stick together after the story didn't... and, of course, there's Found's sickness. They never even say what it is, or (definitively) where she got it. They say she needs antibiotics... Bu ...more
Elizabeth Belyeu
I read this book at least a decade ago, and specific moments from it still pop into my head sometimes. It is a very strange and intense book, very dream-like. Not to say illogical; it definitely has a plot (very dark in places), and some very complex and appealing characters. But the setting--this future-world's abandoned countryside--is like something from "The World Without Us," and it's that sharp, empty, oddly beautiful melancholy that has stuck with me for so long. If you've ever been fasci ...more
Lorene
This book was OK. If it was sitting around near you, I wouldn't discourage you from reading it, but I would necessarily encourage it. Ultimately, it scared me a little bit. I would wake up during the night to check and make sure my baby was safe in his crib. But I'm a paranoid over-imaginer like that when it comes to books.
Artifice Magazine
There was a weird spot about seven pages into this book where it appeared that a sentence had been accidentally elided, and it's possible that I should have stopped reading then. This was one that I wanted to be good, and there are lots of plot points that might have made it good, and yet: not that good.
R.
Susan
Jun 26, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
Colchester Library Book Sale June 26, 2011
Alice
This was an entertaining, quick read.
Wendy
Wendy marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Rebecca Brett
Rebecca Brett marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Takier George
Takier George marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
Barbara Naugle
Barbara Naugle marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Sandhills
Sandhills marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Mar 12, 2014
Jane
Jane added it
Jan 30, 2014
Sarah Vecchi
Sarah Vecchi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Sarah added it
Aug 22, 2013
Trisha
Trisha marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2013