Start by marking “Found” as Want to Read:
Found

Found

3.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  60 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Left to fend for herself in a deserted 21st-century countryside, Ren joins forces with three other teens to save an abandoned baby, as well as herself, in this epic adventure about finding one
Published June 29th 1998 by Puffin (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Found, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Found

Alison
Apr 03, 2009 Alison rated it liked it
This book was incredibly odd and intense in terms of what I could consider typical YA or kid lit. The description of the kids' surroundings--and the conditions the characters are living in-- are so intense, I found myself wondering every single time I picked it up whether I would've been able to get through it or even understand it when I was a kid. (I had a hard enough time getting through it as an adult!) I don't like futuristic-y, sci-fi -ish stuff very much at all, but this one was a good mi ...more
Pam Baddeley
Vividly written and an evocative description of the fells "up north" in a dystopian future where cities are made up of living-work units that the inhabitants rarely leave and in which they live a claustrophobic screen based existence, and where the countryside is largely deserted, inhabited by a few hardy old women, and absconders like Ren.

Ren is a girl whose mum is basically illiterate - we eventually learn that she named her daughter after the wren, a small bird seen on TV. When her mum becam
Kayleigh
It's been years since I read this book, but it's stuck with me--partly because it was one of my first encounters with dystopian literature, and partly because it was such a disappointment.

I really, really wanted to like it; the story sounded powerful and intriguing. But there were just too many things wrong with it.
First, that Ren's mother is so cavalier about just throwing her daughter away. Okay, I understand that she can't afford to take care of two children, but the woman not only makes abs
Nesa Sivagnanam
May 27, 2012 Nesa Sivagnanam rated it it was amazing
The time is the twenty-first century
when the countryside is almost deserted,
when people work at computers in living-work units,
and those without work live on the streets,
when in the living-work units there is a tax on excess children,
and when the street people are hounded by patrols.

Then some seek other places, passing through
the wide dales
and over the high fells.

And one late autumn, two fleeing from the towns
--and fearing pursuit---
make an unexpected discovery.
They are joined by two o
Darci
Aug 30, 2014 Darci rated it really liked it
I read this so long ago, maybe before dystopian ya post-apocalypse novels became in vogue. However, I don't know why this didn't take off like The Hunger Games, because it is worthy of being compared to that, The Maze Runner, Divergent and The Giver. There are strong characters and a plot that will make you root for them. There is no e-copy on amazon or bn. Perhaps it is out of print, which would be very unfortunate. Buy a used copy! You won't regret it.
Katy Ann
Mar 14, 2016 Katy Ann rated it really liked it
Found is a haunting dystopia about a group of children in a world that has decided there are too many children. Reader warning there are many scary scenes and real adult situations the kids face. My main fault with the book is the lack of closure. But perhaps in this eerily similar to our world dystopia this is as close to closure as you can get.
Samantha Boyette
Mar 06, 2015 Samantha Boyette rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2015
Maybe it was my own lack of time to read this, but I found it very hard to ever really get in to. There was so much more I wanted to know about the setting and the characters, but it just wasn't there.
Tracy
Sep 16, 2014 Tracy rated it really liked it
Read with Ethan for his nightly reading assignment. Pretty dark and creepy story. Guess it's what you get when he's reading two grade levels above his own! Overall, it was a good read!
Emily
Dec 02, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
Found was... Okay. Just okay. It had its moments... And it definitely pulled on my heart strings every once in a while. But I didn't like how little we knew about their pasts (with the exception of Brocket), and I really didn't like how they didn't expand on the end. It frustrated me that the people I wanted to stick together after the story didn't... and, of course, there's Found's sickness. They never even say what it is, or (definitively) where she got it. They say she needs antibiotics... Bu ...more
Elizabeth Belyeu
Feb 28, 2010 Elizabeth Belyeu rated it it was amazing
I read this book at least a decade ago, and specific moments from it still pop into my head sometimes. It is a very strange and intense book, very dream-like. Not to say illogical; it definitely has a plot (very dark in places), and some very complex and appealing characters. But the setting--this future-world's abandoned countryside--is like something from "The World Without Us," and it's that sharp, empty, oddly beautiful melancholy that has stuck with me for so long. If you've ever been fasci ...more
Lorene
Mar 01, 2010 Lorene rated it it was ok
This book was OK. If it was sitting around near you, I wouldn't discourage you from reading it, but I would necessarily encourage it. Ultimately, it scared me a little bit. I would wake up during the night to check and make sure my baby was safe in his crib. But I'm a paranoid over-imaginer like that when it comes to books.
Artifice Magazine
Jun 07, 2009 Artifice Magazine rated it it was ok
Shelves: rebekah
There was a weird spot about seven pages into this book where it appeared that a sentence had been accidentally elided, and it's possible that I should have stopped reading then. This was one that I wanted to be good, and there are lots of plot points that might have made it good, and yet: not that good.
R.
May 27, 2012 R. rated it it was ok
Susan
Jun 26, 2011 Susan marked it as to-read
Colchester Library Book Sale June 26, 2011
Alice
May 17, 2012 Alice rated it liked it
This was an entertaining, quick read.
ER
ER is currently reading it
Apr 18, 2016
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Sonia Twibeegirl
Sonia Twibeegirl marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Jan 30, 2016
Laney Gardner
Laney Gardner marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Kae
Kae marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2016
Hallie Adams
Hallie Adams rated it liked it
Dec 07, 2015
Terri Dactyl
Terri Dactyl rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Samantha
Samantha rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2015
Peggy
Peggy added it
Oct 24, 2015
Michele Dee
Michele Dee rated it did not like it
Dec 26, 2015
Mackenzie Lamb
Mackenzie Lamb rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2015