Start by marking “Dear Dead Days” as Want to Read:
Dear Dead Days

Dear Dead Days

4.50  ·  Rating Details  ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Addams' name is on the cover, but only a handful of the pages are his work - mostly its a collection of Ripley and Barnum style oddities that served as inspiration for his macabre creations.
Published 1959

To ask other readers questions about Dear Dead Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Dead Days

Popvoid
Jul 18, 2008 Popvoid rated it it was amazing
This is cartoonist Charles Addams' scrapbook of images and information that inspired him. This includes classic examples of gothic architecture, circus freaks, and various turn-of-the-century macabrabilia (okay, I made that word up). Wonderful stuff.
Robert
Jun 02, 2015 Robert rated it it was amazing
Not cartoons, but curiosities and oddities that inspired Addams - old newspaper advertisements, accident photos, sideshow performers and the like.
Robin
What I learned from this book is that I should read descriptions more carefully.
Rather than the Addams family cartoons I had hoped for, this is a scrapbook of the weird, odd, and disturbingly biological from the late 19th and early 20th century.
If you want a great copy with a dust jacket, mine's for sale on ebay. Look me up: rbnhood.
This book is not for the faint of heart or stomach. If you're either of those, don't say I didn't warn you.
In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you (or some
Kitty
Apr 21, 2015 Kitty rated it really liked it
This book was a morbid delight. I hope this leads to many more fruitful forays into Addams and old oddities.
Avis Black
I used to love this book when I was a kid; now I can't believe it. Dear Dead Days is one of the least well known of Addams' books, and it isn't one of his cartoon anthologies. Rather, this is an assemblage of old photographs, advertisments, etc., collected from the 1800s. Only when you see everything together do you realize what an eye for the utterly appalling Addams has. Dear Dead Days is a masterpiece of a sort, but I'm rather distressed I used to like it so much.
Roxie Vegas
Jun 19, 2008 Roxie Vegas rated it it was amazing
I have a friend who is also an Addams fan. I myself grew up with the fascinating "Addmas and Evil," which I read over and over again.

I was blown away by the sheer genius of "Dear Dead Days." Each picture and image is craftfully selected by Chas himself. I loved it. I think it is positively brilliant and I'm NOT shamed to admit it.
Sparkles
Oct 21, 2010 Sparkles rated it it was amazing
I checked out this book out over and over and over again from the library when I was very little.

Siamese twins, loch ness monster, and bells to ring in case you were buried alive?

LOVE it.
Dorinde De Tempe
Aug 02, 2009 Dorinde De Tempe rated it it was amazing
wonderful collection of curious images
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
May 16, 2016
Storyheart
Storyheart marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Nikki
Nikki marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Monique
Monique marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2016
Karen-Leigh
Karen-Leigh rated it liked it
Feb 20, 2016
Di
Di rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2016
Serene Lim
Serene Lim marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Winter Moon
Winter Moon marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2016
Chris Ripley
Chris Ripley marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2015
Merav Taylor
Merav Taylor marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Georgia
Georgia rated it really liked it
Jul 05, 2015
Desmira Willow
Desmira Willow marked it as to-read
May 23, 2015
Chris Jones
Chris Jones marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Roberto
Roberto marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Deannerowland
Deannerowland marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Deannerowland
Deannerowland marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Denny
Denny rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2014
Michael O.
Michael O. marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.
More about Charles Addams...