Start by marking “Dear Dead Days” as Want to Read:

Dear Dead Days

4.55 of 5 stars 4.55  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Hardcover
Published 1959

To ask other readers questions about Dear Dead Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Dead Days

Popvoid
This is cartoonist Charles Addams' scrapbook of images and information that inspired him. This includes classic examples of gothic architecture, circus freaks, and various turn-of-the-century macabrabilia (okay, I made that word up). Wonderful stuff.
Robin
What I learned from this book is that I should read descriptions more carefully.
Rather than the Addams family cartoons I had hoped for, this is a scrapbook of the weird, odd, and disturbingly biological from the late 19th and early 20th century.
If you want a great copy with a dust jacket, mine's for sale on ebay. Look me up: rbnhood.
This book is not for the faint of heart or stomach. If you're either of those, don't say I didn't warn you.
In the meantime, I would be most grateful if you (or some
Avis Black
I used to love this book when I was a kid; now I can't believe it. Dear Dead Days is one of the least well known of Addams' books, and it isn't one of his cartoon anthologies. Rather, this is an assemblage of old photographs, advertisments, etc., collected from the 1800s. Only when you see everything together do you realize what an eye for the utterly appalling Addams has. Dear Dead Days is a masterpiece of a sort, but I'm rather distressed I used to like it so much.
Roxie Vegas
I have a friend who is also an Addams fan. I myself grew up with the fascinating "Addmas and Evil," which I read over and over again.

I was blown away by the sheer genius of "Dear Dead Days." Each picture and image is craftfully selected by Chas himself. I loved it. I think it is positively brilliant and I'm NOT shamed to admit it.
Sparkles
I checked out this book out over and over and over again from the library when I was very little.

Siamese twins, loch ness monster, and bells to ring in case you were buried alive?

LOVE it.
Dorinde De Tempe
wonderful collection of curious images
Deannerowland
Deannerowland marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Deannerowland
Deannerowland marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Michael O.
Michael O. marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza)
Elizabeth (Miss Eliza) marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
joe
joe marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2014
Camila
Camila marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Christina Dawn
Christina Dawn marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2013
Aleksandra
Aleksandra marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2013
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 27, 2013
Megan=]
Megan=] marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2013
Marisol
Marisol marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2013
Jan
Jan marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2013
Atticus Redghost, esq.
Atticus Redghost, esq. marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2013
John Lang
John Lang marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2013
Nick Leong
Nick Leong marked it as to-read
Feb 05, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Chas Addams was a cartoonist best known for creating "The Addams Family" comic characters which have been adapted for a variety of media. His signature style was single panels of macabre humor.
More about Charles Addams...
The World of Chas Addams My Crowd The Addams Family: An Evilution The Charles Addams Mother Goose Chas Addams Happily Ever After: A Collection of Cartoons to Chill the Heart of Your Loved One