Start by marking “Beowulf: The Script Book” as Want to Read:
Beowulf: The Script Book

Beowulf: The Script Book

Who will come to the aid of beleaguered King Hrothgar, whose warriors have become the prey of the vengeful outcast monster Grendel?

In the able hands of #1 New York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman (Anansi Boys, American Gods) and Academy Award-winning screenwriter Roger Avary (Pulp Fiction, Silent Hill), a timeless classic adventure takes on a astonishing new life. Her
Published October 23rd 2007 by William Morrow Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about Beowulf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beowulf

Cecilia
Oct 02, 2015 Cecilia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Me gustó mucho la historia así como la ilustración...
En cuanto a la película lo único que me causa un poco de ruido es lo visual, pero la historia en sí es muy buena y en el Cómic lo sigue siendo.
¿Recomendable? Si, definitivamente.
Philip
Aug 27, 2016 Philip rated it really liked it
Want to read John Gardner's Grendel, but thought I should first refamiliarize myself with the Beowulf legend, and so figured this would be a fun way to do so.

Besides just being the final screenplay for the Robert Zemekis motion-capture film, this book also contains the first draft of that screenplay written eight years earlier. And so for anyone interested in the writing process, this is a fascinating book to see how things change from original draft to final product - how the authors add chara
Brittany
May 11, 2012 Brittany rated it it was amazing
Finding this book was a steal for me. I literally found it in a discount bin for five dollars and I knew I couldn't pass up an opportunity to get it. Honestly, where else was I going to find a Beowulf script book? This book is brilliant (and I do not use that word lightly). I've read my share of plays with striking lines and to die for sequences but a movie script is entirely different. I had already seen the Beowulf movie by the time I found this one so visualizing wasn't a challenge but I fee ...more
Mar
Jun 24, 2015 Mar rated it liked it
I read the graphic. Follows the film closely and uses Anthony Hopkins and Angelina Jolie
Patricia Milanes
Jul 12, 2014 Patricia Milanes rated it liked it
Autographed copy! <3
Mary
Jul 19, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
I thought this was pretty fun to read - it's too bad the movie was SOOOOO awful. I enjoy Neil Gaiman and Roger's work, and this was definitely them shining and having fun. It was a good weekend read and interesting to see the difference between the 2 script versions along with their stories.

It's a shame cause i enjoyed this book, but it must've spoiled the movie cause I couldn't believe how unbelievably painful the movie was.
Chuck Newton
Sep 12, 2015 Chuck Newton rated it did not like it
Shelves: literature
The script and the film are ugly and shallow and bear little semblance to the themes found in Beowulf. The script panders to all that a 13 year old boy wants to see and has none of the depth (ironic for a 3D movie) of the original Anglo-Saxon epic.
PurplyCookie
Aug 29, 2009 PurplyCookie marked it as to-read
Book Details:

Title Beowulf: The Script Book
Author Neil Gaiman & Roger Avary
Reviewed By Purplycookie

purply's library, neil gaiman, purply's reviews, movie tie-in, books
Brett
Jun 25, 2008 Brett rated it liked it
Kind of cool to read the script that DIDN'T get made. Although, to be honest, it's not radically different from what was "filmed". It is always a pleasure to read Mr. Gaiman's dialogue, though.
Loyd
Jun 29, 2009 Loyd rated it liked it
Reading this screenplay was interesting, but the best part of the book was the history of the path the screenplay took before actually being produced. Good for movie buffs only.
Aramis
Oct 24, 2008 Aramis rated it really liked it
I really put the book on here just as an excuse to talk up how great the movie based on this script is.
Queen
Jan 26, 2013 Queen added it
Shelves: tangible-library
actually, I've got the comic book version based on this script.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Leeann
Leeann marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Renee Cote
Renee Cote marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Deborah Mike
Deborah Mike marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
John
John rated it it was ok
Sep 03, 2016
Katana
Katana marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2016
Pamela
Pamela marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2016
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Munhib Shah
Munhib Shah rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2016
Nicole Flowers frye
Nicole Flowers frye marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Samantha Williams
Samantha Williams rated it really liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Jessika
Jessika marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Cheryl S.
Cheryl S. marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2016
Angie
Angie rated it liked it
Jul 20, 2016
  • Pugad Baboy 3 (Pugad Baboy, #3)
  • Tw7sted
  • Midnight Tribunal (Trese, # 5)
  • Beowulf
  • Who Killed Amanda Palmer?: A Collection of Photographic Evidence
  • Dark City: The Lost World of Film Noir
  • Patrick: Patron Saint of Ireland
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • The Christmas Chronicles: The Legend of Santa Claus
  • Powers of Two
  • The SAS Self-Defense Handbook: A Complete Guide to Unarmed Combat Techniques
  • Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila (Part One) (Zsazsa Zaturnnah sa Kalakhang Maynila, #1)
  • Modern Strategy