Start by marking “A Home for Dixie: The True Story of a Rescued Puppy” as Want to Read:
A Home for Dixie: The True Story of a Rescued Puppy

A Home for Dixie: The True Story of a Rescued Puppy

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For as long as she could remember, Emma had wanted a dog. Instead, she got a fish, a hamster, and even a guinea pig. And although Emma loved all these pets, it was not the same as having a dog. Meanwhile, an abandoned puppy was brought to an animal rescue. And although this little puppy had a warm place to sleep and food to eat, she dreamed of having her very own family to ...more
Published May 1st 2008 by Collins Publishers (first published April 22nd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Home for Dixie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Home for Dixie

IrenesBookReviews
A woman named Mary Cody has a place for unwanted dogs. Her place is called Aunt Mary’s Doghouse. This is the story of a girl named Emma and her search for a dog. Emma asks and asks for a dog and when her parents finally give in they take here to the local Aunt Mary’s Doghouse location. There are actual photo’s of Emma and the dogs she chooses from. She finds a dog that is just right for her and names it Dixie. The story goes on to show her and Dixie at home together. The last pages of the book a ...more
Mary Ann
The students in my library love books about dogs & cats. This is a sweet picture book, perfect for the kid who dreams about getting a dog of their own. It tells Dixie and Emma's story - from when the little puppy is rescued and brought to a shelter (no scary drama, though), to Emma's family deciding that it was time to get a dog, to Dixie's adjustment to her new home. It's written by a high school girl of her real life experience with her dog, and the pictures are of the real dog with her fa ...more
babyhippoface
This photo essay tells the trule tale of a homeless puppy's journey from a dog shelter to her new home. The story is slight but children will like the sharp, full-page photos of the pup. A note about how to find an animal shelter near you for pet adoption or volunteer work is included.

On a personal note, I would have preferred the story to follow the adoption of an adult dog, since they're generally harder to place in homes than puppies.
Marcia
This is basically an advertisement for Aunt Mary's Doghouse and pet adoption. Those are good things indeed, and the young author shares her road to pet adoption through photos. The audience for this book would be children trying to convince their family to adopt pets. I believe the book was a fund-raiser for the shelter. A good cause--a mediocre book.
Marcie
I was tempted to give this 1 star, but I couldn't be that mean seeing as the author was a High School Student. The photos are lovely, but seemed awfully staged. I think this was just published to cash in on the Marley craze. I hope it did well. Children's book of the month promotes it.
Alida
I would make this book mandatory reading in every school in the United States. As a firm believer of NEVER EVER buying a pet, I have always adopted from city shelters (or the streets). This book is a wonderful way to introduce the topic to kids that want a dog for the first time.
Jennie
May 08, 2009 Jennie added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Recommend
Recommended to Jennie by: K.G. at LD
Endearing photographs by Bob Carey help tell the story of Dixie a rescue puppy that finds a home with Emma and her family. A good introduction to the rescue dog world and the importance of adopting dogs who need a home. Kids can hardly wait to check this one out. gr. K-6.
Rebecca
Cute little true story about a rescued dog. Not s super great story liek Hero Cat (who rescued her kittens from a burning building), but the thing that makes this book fun is the great pictures. It is also fun to point out that a young girl wrote this book.

Katie
Oct 04, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-12
I LOVE this book! I enjoyed this book partially because I am a dog-lover, but the heartwarming story and great photographs could be enjoyed by readers of all ages. The story is about Dixie, a dog who is rescued from a shelter and adopted by a loving family.
Julie
This is a true story and is illustrated with photographs. The photographs really make the book because they are so adorable! The book would be a good read aloud but it is non-fiction so it may get overlooked.
Pam
Great intro for kids on choosing to adopt a homeless animal. Wish they would have gone a little more into why there are so many homeless animals, though.
Loren
A nice approach to homeless pets and adoption of dogs ... plus the photos are fab. A great nonfiction book that reads like a picture book. Well Done!
Annie Michelle
a most excellent 5 star read for me!
I love the story, the title and the dog, the kids loved this one too...:)
Tracie
Non-fiction, longer text for those dog lovers - good story and pictures.
Amber
This is a very cute and true story about a puppy finding a forever home.
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2015
Ava Calhoun
Ava Calhoun marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Irene Olivo
Irene Olivo marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Suzy Raley
Suzy Raley marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Exploited The End of My World: The Shocking True Story of a Young Girl Forced to Become a Sex Slave Wannabe In My Gang? Stories of Cosmopolitan Belonging: Emotion and Location The Middle Classes and the City: A Study of Paris and London