Start by marking “Abomination” as Want to Read:
Abomination

Abomination

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  829 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews
Martha is twelve - and very different from other kids, because of her parents. Strict members of a religious group - the Brethren - their rules dominate Martha's life. And one rule is the most important of all: she must never ever invite anyone home. If she does, their shameful secret - Abomination - could be revealed. But as Martha makes her first real friend in Scott, a ...more
Published January 4th 2007 by Corgi Childrens (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Abomination, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Abomination

Sam Pryce
Apr 25, 2010 Sam Pryce rated it it was amazing
This book is my favourite children's book of all time. Never mind Charles Dickens or Roald Dahl; Robert Swindells is the man. I read this in a few hours and I could not put it down. I have never been so tense! I strongly recommend this book to any child, adult or even elderly person. This book is a real treat! 5 STARS!
Yanpeng
Mar 05, 2013 Yanpeng rated it really liked it
Manuel Jerico
Mar 05, 2013 Manuel Jerico rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Abomination Review
Plot:

Abomination is about two kids, Martha and Scott. Martha lives a life controlled by the Righteous, a religious group. The Righteous are very different from the rest of society. The Righteous have lots of rules that are enforced through the different Righteous families. Due to being part of the Righteous, Martha struggles to fit in with everyone else and even has to face torment in her school for being so “different”. One rule in her family is heavily enforced and if broke
Agent Aaliyah
Jan 14, 2011 Agent Aaliyah rated it it was amazing
i strongly like this book because it is hard for me to find books like this but this book was brillant from start to finish. i also love the way the author wrote this book using split narrative. Abomination is about a girl named martha who has to keep a very important secret about whats in her house. This book was so powerful that i couldnt put it down.
05MonicaW
Nov 26, 2012 05MonicaW rated it really liked it
I think this book was intended for young adults or even adults. The main issue in this book is a little girl named Martha grows up different then many other children and has a hard time making desicions not knowing right or wrong. It takes place at Taylor Hill where her house and school are located. It's a little earlier in time around the 1980's maybe 90's around the time when people first started computers in their homes. The main characters are
Martha - girl who was a righteous, shes confused
Krystl Louwagie
Aug 29, 2010 Krystl Louwagie rated it liked it
Audio book review from 2008:

Yup, the book Lacey listened to some time ago. She was disappointed about how soon she found out who/what abomination was, and so was I. However, I did enjoy the audio book for the purposes it served for me-I listened to it while I was working out, and it was pretty perfect for that because it's very simple and moves along very quickly and is direct. Boring descriptions are not good for making time go by fast when you're working out (I'm currently listening to Louis L
Jennifer Wardrip
Jan 19, 2009 Jennifer Wardrip rated it really liked it
Reviewed by Grandma Bev for TeensReadToo.com

Martha is bullied at school because of her clothes and introverted personality, but Scott is also new at this school, and feels sorry for Martha. Soon he, too, is being bullied by the other kids.

Giulia Teufel
Rating: 3.0

Since we're dealing with this book in my English class I had VERY low expectations. I expected dull characters with no real backstories and a boring plot. Instead of that the characters were so human that I could relate to them very easily, even though never encountering a situation like they did. The plot had a nice (and obvious) twist and the happy ending didn't seem to be too far fetched.
Abomination isn't life changing in any kind of way, but in conclusion I can state that it is a
K. Carters
Feb 01, 2014 K. Carters rated it really liked it
Like Stone Cold, I loved the writing style and the switching of viewpoint to move the story on. I felt the build up was perfect and really wanted to keep reading. The problem was that the ending didn't feel right and seemed to move a million times quicker than the rest of the plot. Chapters are manageable and offer a lot of discussion points.
Sammy
May 23, 2012 Sammy rated it really liked it
I read this when I was about 11/12, at the time I really loved it as it was different to a lot of the books I read at around that time, it was dark in some places but really made you think when you went to bed at night.

One of these day's I'm going to read it again as an adult, for the sake of nostalgia I'm holding off at the minute.
Krista
Sep 04, 2014 Krista rated it really liked it
In ABOMINATION, the bad guys are a religious extremist group that encourages child abuse, dictates what its parishioners wear, and regulates how they behave. It is a condemning look at a religious faction in which the families do not have television, computers, or cell phones. This sort of reminds me of different sects in real life.

Swindells writing style and story is one I wont forget. I was expecting a thriller/horror but what I read was filled with friendship,conflict and I took from it was
Alyson
Aug 19, 2015 Alyson rated it it was amazing
This is the second time I've read this book by Robert Swindells and I thoroughly enjoyed it both times through. It is the story of Martha, who is brought up by ultra religious parents, who believe they are part of the 'chosen'. Martha's older sister Mary left home at sixteen after having a child out of wedlock. She believed her parents had had the child adopted.
Martha is befriended in school by a new boy, called Scott and the story is told alternatively from Martha and Scott's viewpoints. It ma
Alec Dunn
Nov 24, 2012 Alec Dunn rated it really liked it
To start with, cards on the table, I like Robert Swindells. At times I find that he writes a little 'by the numbers' but he has written some great books for children. And Abomination is another cracking good read from the master of the dual narrative.
He keeps the story racing along with short chapters, corking cliffhangers, constant questions for the reader and intense moral dilemmas for the characters.
Despite having younger central characters - only twelve years of age - the novel has at its h
Lacey Louwagie
Jun 28, 2007 Lacey Louwagie rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fundies
This book was about 12-year-old Martha whose very religious family had "a secret." Because of this secret, she can never keep any friends because she's not allowed to bring them home. But then she meets Scott, the new boy at school, and his friendship is persistent. He's the vehicle through which the readers finally find out about the secret.

I was disappointed by this book on a few levels. I wasn't sure the development of Scott's and Martha's friendship was totally believable, although Scott's a
Alexander
Dec 16, 2014 Alexander rated it really liked it
This is a gripping and intriguing book that looks in onthe life of a girl called Martha, who's life is ruled by her strict and religious parents, worshiping a strange cult that bans computers, TVs, and all aspects of a modern lifestyle. One day, she meets a normal boy called Scott, who doesn't care about her strict beliefs. The story that follows is Martha caught in a mental struggle, is it right for abomination to remain secret? Or should it remain hidden forever?
niksipiksi
Sep 02, 2015 niksipiksi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enkratna knjiga s temačno vsebino, ki bi jo priporočala tudi odraslim.
Všeč mi je bil odnos Marthe in Scotta in kako se je Martha ob novem prijatelju začela odpirati in soočati s skrivnostjo svoje družine ter prišla do ugotovitve, da je nekaj potrebno spremeniti.
Edino razočaranje je bil zame osebno konec, kajti kljub razpletu zgodbe, se mi je zdelo, da se je vse prehitro in preveč enostavno končalo.
Electra7
Jun 15, 2016 Electra7 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: teen-fiction
Such a powerful book.
Having had bad experiences of my own this book gave me hope when i was a child, and reading it again now... tears, so many tears and memories. Incredible book that i would love to give to my children at the same age that i had the chance to read it (12) if i ever have a family of my own.
Lala
Jun 09, 2010 Lala rated it it was amazing
Martha has a secret - a shameful secret. It's name is Abomination.

Matha is twelve, and very different from other kids. No TV. No computer. No cool clothes. Expecially, no friends.

It's all because of her parents. Strict members of a religious group, their rules dominate Martha's life. But one rule is the most important of all: Martha must never ever invite anyone home. If she does, their terrible secret - Abomination - could be revealed...

Then comes Scott. The unlikely friendship blooms. And then
Nicholas
May 03, 2016 Nicholas rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book with the ending as well because it really goes in deep about the characters and there life and how it switches from each others life every chapter
Priya
Oct 29, 2015 Priya rated it it was amazing
Mirko Liang
Dec 08, 2015 Mirko Liang rated it it was ok
The concept is intriguing but the story drags itself way too much, 70% in and still these kids are debating whether or not the guy should go to the girl's place. Not terrible, but not that good.
Shamir
Jan 14, 2015 Shamir rated it it was amazing
The books was awesome! Although the ending was a bit boring and wired. I highly recommend it!
Melissa
Apr 26, 2014 Melissa rated it liked it
This story is incredibly creepy, though it "ends well." I don't even know what to say.
Keerti
Mar 02, 2016 Keerti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good book. It doesn't let you stop until you finish and then you want to read it again. Good mystery. Love it <3
Book De Groot
the ending is absolutely horrible
Casimir W.
Jan 12, 2015 Casimir W. rated it really liked it
Pretty weird book, twist ending.
Henry_sheen
Mar 07, 2016 Henry_sheen rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobook, tape
Audiobook (tape)
Rachel
Aug 02, 2013 Rachel rated it did not like it
This book is easily among the worst I've ever read. The story entirely lacked plausibility (ironically, the 'abomination' is perhaps the most believable aspect of it). Martha's interaction with her parents was badly written, and, even when disregarding that, there is still the gaping plotholes and painful presentation of Scott and Martha's friendship-and-something-more to contend with. The ending left me horrified and unsatisfied - neither in a good way. This book was a struggle to read; I had g ...more
Ailine
Oct 22, 2014 Ailine rated it really liked it
it's good
Gail Thompson
Apr 10, 2015 Gail Thompson rated it it was ok
This is a book that I borrowed from the English stock room at the school where I work. We use it as a class reader for year seven pupils (11-12 years). The kids all seam to like the suspense and keep reading as they want to find out exactly what the "abomination" is in the cellar. It also helps that the lead character is also 12. This book was not one of my favourites but I can appreciate that it is well thought out and appeals to its target audience; school kids.
  • Missing Judy
  • Loving April
  • Socks Are Not Enough
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • Blood Trail
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Trouble with Lemons
  • Unhooking the Moon
  • Now You See Me
  • Possess (Mary Hades #2)
  • Kuidas elad, Ann? Mis teha, Ann?
  • Alone at Ninety Foot
  • A Hairy Tail (A Hairy Tail, #1)
  • Baltos durys
  • The Oracle Rebounds (The Oracle of Dating, #2)
  • Irish History for Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Mission Improbable (Geekhood, #2)
  • Mondays Are Red