Start by marking “Horselords (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #1)” as Want to Read:
Horselords (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #1)

Horselords (Forgotten Realms: Empires #1)

Between the valiant kingdoms of the western Realms and the exotic eastern lands of Kara-Tur lies a vast, unexplored kingdom. For centuries, the "civilized" peoples of the Forgotten Realms have given little notice to these barbarians. Now, a powerful leader has united the wild horsemen into a mighty force--an army powerful enough to challenge the world.

Horselords is the f
Published December 31st 1990 by TSR Inc. (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Horselords, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horselords

Adrian Ciuleanu
Feb 03, 2011 Adrian Ciuleanu rated it really liked it
This is a very good book. It tells us about the adventures of an Khazari priest, Koja, who is sent by his prince as an ambassador to the barbarians people called the Tuigans. These people are the mongols counterparts from real history and they're lead by Yamun Khahan, which is basically Genghis Khan. The plot is strong, the characters are well described with both their strengths and weaknesses, the paceing is good. However, I can't give it a full five starts because in the end the book feels a ...more
Steve
Oct 09, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Horselords is the first book in the Empires trilogy, that features Koja of Khazari and Yamun Khahan. It takes place in a wide variety of places, mainly in the Tuigan Steppes, and Khazari. All in all, the book is fairly straightforward, and doesn't have much in "twists and turns", or in...'flavor prose'. It's a pretty nitty, gritty novel, just like the events that go on within it's pages. My book is even ripped (I accidentally cut a line in the cover with a razor blade when I was opening the box ...more
David Sarkies
Jun 20, 2015 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who really like the Forgotten Realms
Recommended to David by: A friend
Genghis in the Forgotten Realms
25 March 2013

Well, I am currently sitting at boarding gate 43 at the Hong Kong International Airport waiting for my plane to Germany to begin boarding and I don't think I have enough time to see if I can get myself a beer (not that I could see any bars as such, mostly restaurants that will serve you a beer if you have the money to pay for it). Then again, that is probably like most places around the world, though they do have bars here in Hong Kong, but it really
Marc Lalonde
Oct 02, 2016 Marc Lalonde rated it really liked it
I was not sure what to expect with this book, given its place in the publishing order of Forgotten Realms novel and beginning a trilogy written by three different authors. I was very pleasantly surprised, however. The 'Empires' trilogy takes a different empire's perspective in each book, allowing each entry to plot its own course and work reasonably well as standalone novels.

Horselords takes place in lands to the East of the usual happenings of the Forgotten Realms, leading to the lands of Kara
Jesse
Jul 01, 2009 Jesse rated it liked it
Shelves: forgotten-realms
This book was hardly a fantasy novel, in that there was very little of the aspects of what I would say make up the fantasy genre. No monsters or magical people (elves and dwarves and stuff) and very little magic as well. I take that back, there is a dragon's spirit in the last chapter. This is more a study of a culture, which is completely based on the Mongols, and presented in a fantasy setting, and I say fantasy meaning fictional.
Okay, so having said that, it could just be the slow begining o
Sicofonia
Dec 31, 2011 Sicofonia rated it it was amazing
This is the first book of the "Empires Trilogy", as such, it introduces the world and people who take part into the whole story. Because of that, the first chapters introduce each character and develop the story from there. Despite of this fact, this initial introduction to the peculiarities and traits of the different people and races is not a boring one. I found it very easy to follow and pleasant.
The plot slowly unfolds in the middle chapters, and from there on the book turns out to be truly
PickinDavis
Jun 11, 2015 PickinDavis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
Without a doubt the most well-written Forgotten Realms novel I've read. No elves that take on armies by themselves (Salvatore), no tired and repeated story lines (Kemp), no incessant bad guy monologs. This book suffers mainly from a poor cover. In fact, if you removed the Forgotten Realms setting from the book, you would have a very good stand alone fantasy.
General H. Sassafras
Sep 29, 2010 General H. Sassafras rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This is not a bad book at all.

In fact, if you like Tuigan, it's amazing and would be a great resource for role playing ideas for your character.

I just found it really hard to get into, even though Yamun Khahan is actually pretty bad ass. I plan to finish the trilogy, but I'm not as zealous about it as I am about the Avatar Trilogy.
Steve Ragusin
Jul 17, 2014 Steve Ragusin rated it really liked it
So far the best of the old novels I'm pushing through. Horselords is a Ghengis Khan type story set in Forgotten Realms and has a great story and pace. Have to say Cook knocks this one out of the park. A horde of horsemen hellbent on global domination...oh and a little monk.

Up next is the 2nd in the series originally released in 1990, Dragonwall.
Peter Greenwell
Jul 22, 2015 Peter Greenwell rated it liked it
I read this and the two sequels back in the 90s - just adding them to my collection now. The Dungeons and Dragons take on the Mongol invasions of China and Eastern Europe. Not particularly brilliant in any area, but fun in its own harmless, popcorn way.
Jason Hoff
Jun 06, 2013 Jason Hoff rated it really liked it
I was surprised at the lack of magic and monsters, but Cook more than makes up for it with his pacing and political conspiracy.
James
James rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Alicia stonebraker
Alicia stonebraker rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2015
carla
carla rated it it was amazing
Jan 01, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2011
Bespelled22 Luikes
Bespelled22 Luikes rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Brandon Luthi
Brandon Luthi rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2013
Georges
Georges rated it did not like it
Jan 29, 2015
Logan Howlett
Logan Howlett rated it really liked it
Sep 06, 2016
Dj
Dj rated it it was amazing
Jun 28, 2008
Jesse Young
Jesse Young rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
David Rodriguez
David Rodriguez rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2013
Beau
Beau rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2015
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Feb 05, 2011
Christopher Oliver
Christopher Oliver rated it it was amazing
Sep 12, 2014
Chris Blakley
Chris Blakley rated it liked it
Sep 05, 2014
Peter Otavsky
Peter Otavsky rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Aug 14, 2012
Wbeasinger
Wbeasinger rated it liked it
Mar 24, 2015
Harold
Harold rated it really liked it
Jun 26, 2016
  • Dragonwall (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #2 )
  • Crusade (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #3)
  • Ironhelm (Forgotten Realms: Maztica, #1)
  • Masquerades (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #10)
  • Realms of the Arcane (Forgotten Realms: Anthologies, #5)
  • War in Tethyr (Forgotten Realms: The Nobles, #2)
  • The Nether Scroll (Lost Empires #4)
  • The Lost Library of Cormanthyr (Forgotten Realms: Lost Empires, #1)
  • The Council of Blades (Forgotten Realms: The Nobles, #5)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
  • Dangerous Games (Forgotten Realms: Netheril, #2)
  • Whisper of Waves (Forgotten Realms: Watercourse, #1)
  • Pools of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #2)
  • The Sapphire Crescent (Forgotten Realms: The Scions of Arrabar, #1)
David "Zeb" Cook is an American game designer best known for his work at TSR, Inc., where he was employed for over fifteen years. Cook grew up on a farm in Iowa where his father worked as a farmer and a college professor. In junior high school, Cook playing wargames such as Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg and Afrika Korps. "I was primarily a wargamer, but there wasn't any role-playing available then," al ...more
More about David Zeb Cook...

Forgotten Realms: Empires (3 books)
  • Dragonwall (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #2 )
  • Crusade (Forgotten Realms: Empires, #3)