Start by marking “Karma-Yoga” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Karma-Yoga

Swami Vivekananda

Karma-Yoga

The practice of Yoga through action is the subject of this book. Karma also has to do with the effects of our actions. One important thing about karma yoga is that you don't need to believe in God to practice this yoga.

The author talks about the different kinds of work, and how our karma affects us, and what we can do about it. More important, he explains how to work to b

Published June 28th 1934 by Vedanta Pr (first published January 1st 70)

To ask other readers questions about Karma-Yoga, please sign up.

Ankur "Action without expecting the Benefits" -
"Action without expecting the Benefits" -
would translate as doing something without any self interest or motive. Altruism...selfless service...living for the greater good. The ego does not exist...the notion of propagating the self is not there. right?
So, the ultimate perfection of doing is the Karma Yoga, where your karma (both gross and subtle) are aligned in such a way that they are in perfect harmony for your evolution.
Similarly, when devotion moves towards the perfection it becomes Bhakti Yoga and when your awareness strives for perfection it becomes the path of Jnana Yoga. Lastly, when your energies are aligned in a perfect geometrical sense with the gross body ...the path is Kriya Yoga.
So, the aim is the same but paths may differ according to your samakaras. Apart from these, there is no other way ever described by anyone. If you find your niche in this spiritual quadrangle, just stick to that and forget about others.
But then the question arises, How should one act so that the Karma does not bind you and the karmic cycle is not created?

from Wiki:
"Karma yoga is described as a way of acting, thinking and willing by which one orients oneself towards realization by acting in accordance with one's duty (dharma) without consideration of personal self-centered desires, likes or dislikes. One acts without being attached to the fruits of one's deeds."
or
"Gita also talks about "Meta"-Karma Yoga. I.e. not getting irritated, annoyed or unhappy when one gets attached to the result even after trying to practice Karma Yoga."

Having heard and read about Karma, i reached a conclusion that it is something to be grasped as working knowledge under the guidance of the Guru. It is not something that can be realized just by reading about it.
Since, even to act as it something is a duty, as is mostly stated, is misleading due to certain reasons. First, if something is my duty, then the desire would be to perform excellently. This will start the cycle of expectations. Even if one tries hard and not think about anything else yet the perfection of your task would be the goal. Everything collapses after that. Second, that the nature of mind is such that the action that takes birth as a seed in mind comes out of the desire to reach fruition. How do you destroy that?
So, in my understanding it is best to be actively involved in Karma Yoga under an able guidance.(less)

Roxanne
Dec 08, 2011 Roxanne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality, yoga
Swami Vivekananda lived from 1863 to 1902 and is best known for his address at the Parliament of Religions in 1893, which helped to bring Hinduism to the modern world as a major religion. Vivekananda wrote a number of books, some of which are based on his lectures, and Karma-Yoga is one of these. In this book, Vivekananda expands on the concept of Karma yoga as set out in the Bhagavad Gita. The copy that I read is borrowed from the library at the college where my husband works; it's a tiny littl ...more
Luis Francisco Contreras
I remember the first time I worked through Leaves of Grass. It probably took me at least a couple weeks of sweat and tears until it finally "clicked". I finally understood what Whitman was getting at when he tried to describe his Democracy of being. How he could "sing and celebrate himself" yet informing us that whatever glimpses of the Divine he could see in himself we can assume as well. The moment Leaves of Grass "clicked" with me I knew that that moment was to become the beginning of Whitman ...more
Rohit Amberker
Nov 18, 2014 Rohit Amberker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A practical guide to live Karma Yoga

very engaging and intellectually stimulating. helps build a mental model and shifts the paradigm as it relates to work attitude and reward motivations. it shows the way and encourages the reader to explore more through practice and experimentation. does not provide any recipe or checklist if that is what one is interested in. having the foundational knowledge of Bhagavadgita helps to better appreciate this book.
Manu
Aug 25, 2012 Manu rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book i read in my life. Trying to practice the values from the book in my life.

It is a must read book, definitely it can guide you in the proper track in life.
Arun Jawarlal
Apr 23, 2016 Arun Jawarlal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Indian readers, the concept of Karma and Karma yoga isn't peculiar or strange. Vivekananda is what you would call the educated, well-read Vedantist. The man holds the highest regard for Buddha and his selfless approach to the world. There are two things that have deeply affected me in this book. one - Helping a man physically is good, helping a man intellectually is better and helping someone spititually is the best. Two - The whole world is made up of
Space, time and causation and even thoug
Kayla Newman
Dec 30, 2014 Kayla Newman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I really enjoy the thoughts Vivekananda shares. Definitely worth reading again.
Sheehan
Mar 25, 2009 Sheehan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book along with the others in the series changed my whole world outlook.
Avinash Pandey
Mar 26, 2016 Avinash Pandey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Never thought that step philosophy of self abnegation would stand its merit in modern ultracompetitive world. This book reinforces 'The Bhagavad Gita' that good and evil, happiness and misery, restlessness and peace are dependent upon the perception and deeds of individual. The idea of unattached love and work without expecting results can make us equanimous, whose mind be as still as caveman in busy street traffic. Vivekanand suggests that most important is this world is to grow spiritually.Thi ...more
Ravikiran
Mar 08, 2012 Ravikiran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply a fantastic telling of some of the most ancient Indian philosophical works. The power of this man's thinking is simply amazing. Truly a must read. A fantastic philosophy, based on the ideas from the Gita. I am not too religious a person, but the ideals here appeal to the most practical aspect of a person.
Soumitro Roy
May 04, 2016 Soumitro Roy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have always felt that there is a co-relation between Physics, Chemistry and other hardcore Science subjects with Spirituality and Philosophy. And reading this book my thought was turned into belief. Everything in this world is striving for freedom; Stars, Planets, Atoms, Molecules and so is our Life. We came from Freedom, Living in Bondage and we will again return to Freedom. Thats the cycle of life. In this book it is said that our Bhagavad Gita has many criticism as it preaches " work withou ...more
Ted Canaday
Feb 17, 2016 Ted Canaday rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A beautiful treatise on the spiritual power of "work." I'd like to share some choice quotes:

"The greatest... is (s)he who in the midst of the greatest silence and solitude finds the intensest activity, and in the midst of the intensest activity finds the silence and solitude of the desert. He has learned the secret of restraint; he has controlled himself. He goes through the streets of a big city with all its traffic and his mind is as calm as if he were in a cave where not a sound could reach h
Yash Sinojia
It's a chapter from The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda. An Ultimate Philosophy on The Art of Living.
Vikrant Singh
Apr 17, 2013 Vikrant Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is no need for a review/ratings. His divine words are more than enough to wake you up.
Michelle
Jul 24, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Powerful values in this book, but many of them are hard to live up to.
Nikunj Dang
Oct 01, 2015 Nikunj Dang rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swami Vivekananda... what an amazing thought process and ability to communicate the most complex concepts of life. It was an awesome read and was completely bowled over. Rest of the frameworks and books in the modern world seem nothing on similar topics when compared to Vivekananda's thoughts and wisdom.. these are just timeless virtues and I cannot imagine that so much of wisdom in Vivekananda's books is just available for 50 Indian Rupees ! Strongly recommend to all my friends
ChandraPrakash
Great Philosophy. Swami Vivekanand speaks clearly to leave all superstitions and to follow one's own convictions but choosen wisely from scripture or experienxe. He refers infirmity as the greatest sin and fearlessness as life. His words has powerful impact. His explaination of the Karamyoga introduced in Bhagavad Gita is unparallel.
Amit Srivastava
Dec 18, 2015 Amit Srivastava rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book when I was in high school. This book has ever lasting impact on my life. It explain how the Karma plays important role in shaping every dimension of our life.
Nikhil Sharathchandran
Just one word., awesome... :) :0
Aum
Jan 16, 2016 Aum rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book.

It changed my perspective on everything.
Vivekananda is a very wise man. He must be read.
Vasudev
Oct 06, 2014 Vasudev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy

Many have pondered over the question "Which life is better? Life of renunciation or life of action. A life led by ascetic or A life of Householder?". Karma Yoga is a beautiful answer to that question and much more.

In this book, Swami Vivekananda tells us what is the true purpose of self. What is freedom and why do we have to strive for freedom. Through different stories he conveys the beautiful philosophical outlook. This is a book I definitely want to re-read.
Tamara Tenebrosa
Karma Yoga is great approach to one's self-development. Although it is one of four major Yoga paths, it doesn't exclude philosophy of the rest. What lays in heart of Karma Yoga is action; the action which sets us free from this illusional determination and whose aim is to become detached and reach unselfishness. It is one philosophy book worth reading no matter if you are religious or not.
Tejas
Oct 30, 2015 Tejas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you want to understand what is Hinduism, you must read this book.
Aman Kalia
Dec 05, 2013 Aman Kalia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hmmmmmm.......

I will read it again i think.. and again.. and again... to differentiate Abstract from concrete. That is where we all falter.

If i really care about what he is trying to say in here.. i cant even say he was a genius.. because the genius does not care.. :)
Christy
May 11, 2016 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Golden nuggets of wisdom throughout. I will be rereading and referring to often. A comfort and a guide. Somewhat outdated in certain tales and references but that should be expected since it was written near the end of the 19th century.
Gaurav Khurana
Oct 06, 2013 Gaurav Khurana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book. I've read it, re-read it and now reading again. As time goes by this book makes more and more sense. Brilliantly written - all of mankind should read this.
Alpesh Gaikwad
Sep 07, 2013 Alpesh Gaikwad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best part about Swami Vivekananda's teachings is that he tells you to first experience and then believe. And he tells us exactly the same through the Karma-Yoga.
Varun Raj
Dec 29, 2012 Varun Raj rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The only book which tell how ultimate goal of attaining god can be
achieved just by doing your work unselfishly.
Amazing book to read...
bookshelf
Aug 06, 2012 bookshelf marked it as available  ·  review of another edition
Available
Rent/Deposit: 20/50
Order
Ravdeep Singh
Aug 02, 2008 Ravdeep Singh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most important books in my life. One of those books on which I can fall upon when lost in life
Pritish Kumar
Apr 23, 2012 Pritish Kumar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great
This book changed my life for good.I just hoped that why I didn't read this book earlier in my life.
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • Vivekananda: A Biography
  • Metaphysical Meditations
  • Ramakrishna and His Disciples
  • Yoga Self-Taught
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • Pot Culture: The A-Z Guide to Stoner Language & Life
  • The End of Sorrow: The Bhagavad Gita for Daily Living, Volume I [India's timeless and practical scripture presented as a manual for everyday use]
  • Yoga: Immortality and Freedom
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • Myth and Ritual In Christianity
  • Breatheology
"Arise Awake and Stop not til the goal is reached"

Vivekananda left a body of philosophical works (see Vivekananda's complete works). His books (compiled from lectures given around the world) on the four Yogas (Raja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Bhakti Yoga and Jnana Yoga) are very influential and still seen as fundamental texts for anyone interested in the Hindu practice of Yoga. His letters are of great lite
More about Swami Vivekananda...

“The very reason for nature's existence is for the education of the soul.” 22 likes
“The help which tends to make us spiritually strong is the highest help, next to it comes intellectual help and after that comes physical help.” 8 likes