Start by marking “The Best Man” as Want to Read:
The Best Man

The Best Man

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  383 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Cyril Gordon, a handsome government agent, possesses vital information that, in the wrong hands, would threaten national security. And he is being pursued by desperate men who will stop at nothing to get that information from him. Cyril seeks refuge in a church where he stumbles in upon a wedding party. Amazingly, everyone seems delighted to see Cyril, mistaking him for th ...more
Published March 7th 1996 by Living Books (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about The Best Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best Man

Thom Swennes
Do you believe in love at first sight? In The Best Man by Grace L. Hill she takes this precept a few steps further. This story was first published in 1908 and, in my opinion, is far ahead of its time in both style and concept. Cyril Gordon, a secret agent unlike the rather blundering Pinkerton agents that spied for the Union during and after the Civil War, resembles more the 007 of Ian Fleming. Sent on a mission to obtain a damaging document, gets tied up in a domestic intrigue and marriage. The ...more
Sara
I was on a Grace Livingston Hill kick a while back and read several of her novels. They are always quaint and old-fashioned, sometimes a little preachy, but almost always a nice relaxing read.
Christopher
A fun story containing spy work, action, and romance. The hero is sent out in the field to save his country, is accidentally mistaken for someone in a wedding ceremony. He thinks he is filling in for the best man... until he finds himself unexpectedly married! The groom-to-be was blackmailing the heroine into the marriage though, so naturally all ends well. The ending was a bit overly sappy, but overall an old, clean read that is still enjoyable.
Lin Stepp
Another Grace Livingston Hill title - originally published in 1914.
This one started right away with intrigue, a secret service officer caught in a a quandry, with a charming twist of how in trying to escape capture he ends up in a wedding ... and, unbelievable, is thought to be the groom. Then the girl's own story of intrigue comes out as the two combine ... making for a truly charming read.
Timothy Ferguson
This is an odd little romance novel, which is mixed in with a naive spy drama. It was entertaining, but I find it hard to recommend to anyone. The romance is of the old, odd type where a man falls for a woman just by seeing her. The espionage story contains a secret which could destroy the country, but an agent who hesitates to break a woman’s heart to deliver it to his superiors. There are better works in each genre. This book is also available in audio through Librivox.

This review was first po
Linda Hoover
Unusual plot and very enjoyable.
Mary
This book was a fun read, although I had to completely engage in "suspension of disbelief" because of the too many coincidences and a too-trusting major character. Published in 1908, the book is about Cyril Gordon, a secret service agent who works in Washington, DC. He is sent to New York City on a dangerous mission of major national importance, and through a bizarre circumstance, ends up married to a woman who thinks he is someone else, and the entire wedding party buys into this notion as well ...more
Anna
I picked up a bunch of Grace Livingston Hill romances at the library book sale because I have always liked her books. They are early Christian romance novels and as such usually have more than a little preaching. What made this title unique is that although the hero and heroine are very moral, upright, good-hearted people there is almost no mention of religion in this book. It is an exciting story of espionage and mistaken identity that is not perhaps entirely plausible but good fun. I don't usu ...more
Lori Myers
My favorite of her books.
I really wanted to give this more stars. In the simplest from it was a really good book. The plot was complex and exciting. The characters were lovable. When the book was done though, it just had no redeeming value. All it was was a "cute book." There wasn't really even one moral point that I could find. The relationship in the book was pretty superficial. A little more depth would have been nice.
Julia
I enjoyed the intrigue and suspense of this story, and loved the developing relationship between the bride and groom. It’s fun to see proved, once again, that a wholesome novel with characters of integrity can still be exciting and absorbing.
Sheryl Tribble
When I think "secret service man romance," Grace Livingston Hill is not an author who comes to mind. I think she did an okay job but I prefer her more domestic books.
Mrsinserra
another cute, lighthearted love story by Ms. Hill. I love being able to listen to her books via Librivox. can't wait to get another one!
Linda
"flower of delicate womanhood".
Jan
Listened while driving.
Bailey
GLH rocks my world.
Sweetpea
Sweetpea marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Quazelle
Quazelle is currently reading it
Apr 03, 2015
Karen d'Agrella
Karen d'Agrella marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2015
  • A Bride for Donnigan
  • Damsel in Green
  • Elyza
  • Her Father's Daughter
  • The Crossed Sabres: 1875 (The House of Winslow)
  • Pollyanna of the Orange Blossoms (Pollyanna, #3)
also wrote under the pseudonym Marcia MacDonald

A popular author of her day she wrote over 100 novels and numerous short stories of religious and Christian fiction. Her characters were most often young female ingénues, frequently strong Christian women or those who become so within the confines of the story.
More about Grace Livingston Hill...
The Enchanted Barn Marcia Schuyler (Miranda Trilogy #1) The Girl from Montana (GLH #66) The Substitute Guest Crimson Roses