Start by marking “Moon (Marie Laveau Mystery #2)” as Want to Read:
Moon (Marie Laveau Mystery #2)

Moon (Voodoo #3)

Part two of the New Orleans trilogy that began with Voodoo Season, Yellow Moon is magical realist fiction that takes the legend of the voodoo priestess Marie Laveau into the present day.
Published August 19th 2008 by Atria (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon

Kate
I loved the first book in this series, but this one felt like she was under the gun from her publisher and she just rushed something out. It read like a bad made-for-TV movie. It was mostly pithy dialogue - stuff no one would ever say in real life, and everything happened so fast that it was really hard to follow. She needed another 100 pages or so to flesh it all out. Bummer, I had high hopes for it.
Mocha Girl
Oct 12, 2009 Mocha Girl rated it liked it
Yellow Moon is the second in a trilogy inspired by New Orleans's infamous Voodoo Priestess, Marie Laveau; a woman still revered (and feared in some circles) centuries after her death. The first novel, Voodoo Season, is a suspenseful tale centering on a young woman's apprehensive discovery of her kinship to Marie and the unwanted "gifts"; she inherits from her grandmother; powers such as the ability to heal nearly everyone, an uncanny sense of foresight, and the ability to see spirits. These powe ...more
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2009 Stephanie rated it liked it
This is the second book in a trilogy, the first being Voodoo Season. I wish I had read the first book before reading this one as some of the things would have made more sense as the author assumes you are familiar with the main characters and their situations.

Dr. Marie Laveau, now a full-fledged doctor, is leading a quiet life as a doctor at Charity Hospital, a single mom, and a voodoo priestess. She is learning about her gifts of healing, foresight, and the ability to see ghosts inherited from
Julia
Mar 29, 2010 Julia rated it liked it
It was OK, up and down, at times nearly brilliant and at other times preachy. I didn't put it down saying "I have to go get the next one" but I did read it all the way through, and may eventually read the others in the series. It successfully captured the New Orleans I remember from long ago...
Brooke
Oct 15, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
A murder mystery set in New Orleans with Voodoo. A great read. I read this book in two evenings!
Angela Ryser Bahling
Jan 01, 2009 Angela Ryser Bahling rated it it was ok
just an "ok" book.
Katherine
May 08, 2009 Katherine rated it liked it
Meh.
Kimberly
Feb 23, 2017 Kimberly rated it liked it
I'm disappointed in this book especially since some of my favorite characters didn't survive...I'm hoping the next installment is better. I gave 3 stars because I liked the narrator who kept me engaged in the book.
Claudia
New Orleans lives in this book...the contemporary New Orleans, and the city from years past. It's vibrant, and yet there are foreshadowing clues to the dangers it faces from Katrina. We, the readers, know what's coming.

Marie has become comfortable with her dual-role as healer...doctor and voodoo queen of New Orleans. She seeks and finds a balance, and I believe each role complements the other. She has found a balance in her private life as well, after her losses in the first book. She has little
Jen
Marie Laveau is an ER doctor at Charity Hospital in New Orleans, where the city's poor, uninsured, and disenfranchised go for medical treatment. She is also the great-great-great granddaughter of the infamous Marie Laveau, Voodoo Queen of New Orleans, and she has inherited her ancestor's gift for sight and healing. When a dead body turns up on the docks at the Port of New Orleans, killed in a very unusual and puzzling manner, the NOPD directs a relatively new detective from New Jersey to Dr. Lav ...more
Ingrid Jennings
Dec 29, 2013 Ingrid Jennings rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jewel Parker Rhodes is an awesome author. When you read her books on Marie Laveau, you get to explore the past and the voodoo that occurs in New Orleans. She mentions a silver man that poses like a statue; being from Louisiana and visiting New Orleans I could clearly see the scene she painted. Moon is about a vampire like creature that is killing people in New Orleans. This is not a normal vampire like the ones from Anne Rice books or Charlaine Harris books but this is a wazimamoto. Rhodes creat ...more
Ice
May 03, 2011 Ice rated it really liked it
Faith
Jul 04, 2012 Faith rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nola-love
I read Moon in one day. Couldn't put it down.

I'm actually very surprised by how much I liked this book, considering that I keep my distance from most vampire -- and other remotely spooky -- media. I was drawn to the book (purchased at a little book shop behind St. Louis Cathedral!) initially because I was excited about reading New Orleans-based fiction with a black female main character.

The story is so imaginative, with the main character being a modern-day descendant of Marie Laveau, infamous
Bridget
Nov 13, 2009 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Marie is the great-great granddaughter of a Voodoo Queen. Marie works in a hospital and knows all to well the horrors that reek havoc on the people of New Orleans.

An African vampire wazimamoto is after Marie and wants her and her family dead. Dreams of blood, rain and a yellow moon plague her in her sleep. Her will is put to the test. Will love be enough to save them?

Books like this are the reason I read.
Ruth Ferguson
This book provided an interesting look at the blend of faiths and voodoo in New Orleans. The audio version was excellent in building the tension and portraying the heat and passion of the city and those who do believe.
Teresa
Dec 13, 2012 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminds me viscerally of New Orleans--sites, sounds, smells. Bring in a bit of occult and music and a sexy story and I have a summer read that satisfies me to the core.
Jodi
Feb 24, 2010 Jodi rated it did not like it
not worth your time
Lisa
Jul 29, 2011 Lisa rated it liked it
this is the first in this series that i've read. thought it was between ok and good. read more like a movie to me.
Amy
Aug 18, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it
Heather
May 15, 2013 Heather rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first book in the trilogy more than this one. This reminded me a bit of one of the Preston and Child novel - Relic or Reliquary. Can't wait to read the final book.
Andrew Carter
Jan 16, 2016 Andrew Carter rated it liked it
A little too spooky with ghosts and vampireswith a little voodoo thrown in..
Mary Lou
Jun 26, 2014 Mary Lou rated it really liked it
The book started slowly for me. My interest was held by my curiosity concerning voodoo and New Orleans . Once I got into the style I was hooked.
Katherine
Mar 12, 2011 Katherine rated it liked it
I enjoyed this follow up to Voodoo Dreams on my plane ride to the UK.
mysticbookworm
Mar 05, 2013 mysticbookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror-thrillers
Couldn't put it down!
Lynne
Sep 24, 2013 Lynne rated it liked it
Part of a trilogy, engaging.
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2009
Jennifer Campbell
Jennifer Campbell rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Dawn Morris
Dawn Morris rated it it was ok
Oct 28, 2012
Quintessia
Quintessia rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
ManaChelle
ManaChelle rated it liked it
May 13, 2014
  • The Queen of Harlem: A Novel
  • Seen It All and Done the Rest
  • Dark Matter: Reading the Bones
  • Vaporetto 13
  • Blood Colony (African Immortals, #3)
  • Voodoo Queen: The Spirited Lives of Marie Laveau
  • Bluesday
  • Hell Has No Fury
  • Year the Colored Sisters Came to Town
  • Where Evil Sleeps (Tamara Hayle, #3)
  • Peace
  • The Messenger of Magnolia Street: A Novel
  • Inner City Blues (Charlotte Justice, #1)
  • Floodgates (Faye Longchamp, #5)
Jewell Parker Rhodes has always loved reading and writing stories. Born and raised in Manchester, a largely African-American neighborhood on the North Side of Pittsburgh, she was a voracious reader as a child. She began college as a dance major, but when she discovered there were novels by African Americans, for African Americans, she knew she wanted to be an author. She wrote six novels for adult ...more
More about Jewell Parker Rhodes...

Voodoo (3 books)