Start by marking “Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #2)” as Want to Read:
Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #2)

Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #2)

3.63  ·  Rating Details ·  3,483 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
While Midnight and Adon stand trial for the alleged slaying of Elminster, Bane, god of murder, and his allies search for the lost Tablets of Fate, and Midnight and her companions face betrayal at every turn. Original.
Published June 1st 2003 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Tantras, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tantras

Aik
Jul 02, 2009 Aik rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was rather annoying how Cyric turned randomly EEEEEEEEEEEVIL. Throughout Shadowdale he seemed like a pretty normal sort of person - self-centred and ruthless, sure - but not power-obsessed evil.

It's like the author got to this book and went 'oshi-! I forgot to make Cyric a bad guy!' and then had him start being a complete dick.
David Sarkies
Mar 24, 2012 David Sarkies rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to David by: A friend from the State Library
Shelves: fantasy
A filler for the trilogy
24 March 2012

Well, the second instalment in the Avatar Trilogy, a series designed to explain the changes between the First and Second Edition Dungeon & Dragons rules. It seems, after a quick look at the blurb, that the heroes have been framed for the murder of Elminster (though I would be making them heroes rather than putting them on trial). However, as soon as I saw 'Bane: God of Murder' you sort of quickly realise who is behind it. It is also set in the city of Ta
Timothy Boyd
Very good fantasy trilogy based on the D&D game. Recommended
Marc-André
Mar 10, 2017 Marc-André rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, d-d
This is the novelisation of how TSR explained the rules changes from 1st edition to 2nd edition.

The plot, writing and story aren't great and only make sense to Forgotten Realms fans.
Marian York
Shivesh
Mar 01, 2011 Shivesh rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantastical
What to say about this unfortunate second volume in a dreadful trilogy? Where can I even start?

Well, some fanboy history is in order. The Forgotten Realms (FR) has always been a favorite setting for a lot of dungeon gaming, and even more popular for its series of stories set in its deep and populated world. The collaborative nature of this universe makes for some disjointed storytelling but makes room for quite a bit of character building and adventure. I came across FR mostly in two phases: fir
Danny Runkel
Dec 05, 2013 Danny Runkel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Let's take a look at the four main pillars of a story as applied to this work.

First, characters. The characters in this book were relatable enough, and though not completely developed as one would hope, they were easy to follow, understand, and run along side with. Though I will admit that Adon was pretty useless the entire time and never really pulled his own weight. I'm not for throwing the character overboard. I'm just saying, he needed to step up his game and contribute. However, one charact
Marc Lalonde
Jul 24, 2016 Marc Lalonde rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
On the plus side, the prose was slightly improved over the first installment in this trilogy. Perhaps Scott Ciencin had a bit more time to write this volume, or perhaps, as I surmised in my review of 'Shadowdale', since the pseudonym of "Richard Awlinson" was attributed in this book to both Scott Ciencin AND the editor, the earlier book did not in fact have an editor while this one did. In this event, the editing help paid off to some small extent.

Our lackluster characters Kelemvor the figher, M
Miss Ryoko
Jul 10, 2010 Miss Ryoko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miss Ryoko by: General H. Sassafras
Shelves: adult, borrowed
Tantras moved a lot slower than Shadowdale and I had a hard time keeping focused enough to read it. I definitely felt like the author thought "I know I want three books in the series, so here is the main thing my heroes need to do in this book, the second book, and the third book." But when he got to the second book he went "Huh.... well, this needs to be at least 300 pages long, what can I do to fill the pages up to make it longer."

The story just dragged on and on and on and I felt a lot of stu
Werehare
Mar 25, 2014 Werehare rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantatrash
2/10

[Recensione cumulativa per l'intera trilogia]
Immaginate di assistere in qualità di spettatore non giocante a una sessione di Dungeons&Dragons. Ora immaginate che tutti i giocatori siano lui. Ecco, la sensazione che si prova leggendo questa trilogia è più o meno questa: una successione di banalità accuratamente scelte per essere il più banali, generiche e mosce possibile. Non per niente Dungeons&Dragons è stato concepito sotto forma di gioco: leggere il resoconto di sessioni altrui è
Brian
Nov 01, 2011 Brian rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Picking up where Shadowdale left off, Tantras starts with some of the same questionable character motivations and disjointed plot elements but quickly moves into a much more cohesive narrative. Unfortunately, this advancement in storytelling quality is sullied by a story which, in itself, is fairly dull for three quarters of the book. Added to this are characters who are impossible to like (Adon for acting like a half-comotose five-year-old and Cyric for going out of his way to be cruel, even fo ...more
Peter Greenwell
Superior effort in nearly every way to its predecessor. It isn't boring, which of course is a huge plus, and it's almost a criminal offence for a D&D book to be tedious to read. Regardless of their value as literature, they should be popcorn page-turners.

Well, Tantras thankfully is. It's competently written though it has all the faults of this particular niche of fantasy fiction - that's to say minimal characterisation, few grey moral areas. overly tight plotting and character motivations t
David
Jan 21, 2014 David rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Aún sin esperar mucho de el, ni la estrellita factor nostalgia le doy esta vez. Los personajes pierden por completo el sentido, con un cambio en Cyric que aunque sabías que tenía que suceder, no hay por donde cogerlo. Sigue la historia de aventuras siendo más alocados los encuentros y perdiendo gancho los villanos. Los dioses son sencillamente cortitos en el relato, vale que algunos eventos suceden para adaptarse al cambio obligado de la editorial pero rompen por completo con las limitaciones qu ...more
Red Siegfried
Okay, so I think I see where they're going with that cliffhanger I referred to in my comments on the last book. However, that's only because having been a D&D geek for years, I have some foreknowledge of the ultimate fate of at least one of the characters. Not having known that, I would be wondering why the author bothered and assumed it was because his contract specified a certain number of words. More to follow ...

Okay, if I hear "the raven-haired mage, the green-eyed fighter, the hawk-nos
Jason Hoff
David
The second book felt similar to the first book, in that the characterisation was poorly done. Again, there was not much reflections or the delving into a character's thoughts and motives. The plot is getting interesting, but sadly it wasn't presented well. The earlier parts of the story, where it was nothing more than a plot event to drive the main characters into a fugitive status felt very forced and out of character for the people of Shadowdale. The finale titanic duel was a bit cliched when ...more
Jesse
Dec 27, 2008 Jesse rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: forgotten-realms
The biggest problem with Forgotten Realms, as a whole, is that they use so many authors to tell a story. As a result, the characters'personalitis changes (some time the entire flow of the story as well). It was never more apparent in this story. Cyric was not an evil character in the first book, and while he had a shady past, he was not the same character in the second book. As a reader, we need something to explain the change, some event, but this never happend in this book. So, that was really ...more
Ευθυμία Δεσποτάκη
Σάμπως και να βελτιώθηκαν λίγο τα πράγματα. Ή μάλλον ισορρόπησαν. Εντυπωσιακές εικόνες που βρωμίζονται από βλακώδη σχέδια μάχης. Ο Άντον αποκτά αξία λίγο μικρότερη ενός επίπλου, αλλά ο Ελμίνστερ είναι πιο μ@λ@κ@ς από ποτέ. Η Μίντναϊτ συμπεριφέρεται σαν ηλίθια κι όλοι όσοι τους κυνηγούν είναι κακοίιιιιιι, πιο κακοί κι από τον πανίσχυρο μεγιστάνα. Ωστόσο είναι κλάσεις ανώτερο της Κοιλάδας των Σκιών. Ελπίζω σε μια μικρή βελτίωση στο επόμενο (Βαθιά Νερά), βασιζόμενη στο ότι αλλάζει κι ο συγγραφέας.
Austin Newberry
Feb 26, 2015 Austin Newberry rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What failed to start strong with "Shadowdale" continues to sink in quality. The characters are diametrically opposed in belief, but stay together for the author's sake to continue the plot. Battle scenes are so far beyond plausibility, they are laughingly bad. Leaves the reader with the dreaded question "I've invested too much time already, but there is one more in the trilogy. Do I soldier on to see how it turns out?"
Nathan
Dec 08, 2009 Nathan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis - In this book Midnight, Adon, Cyric and Kelemvor got to the location of the first Tablet of Fate, Tantras.

Classification -
Audience: 13+
Purpose: Entertainment
Medium: Novel
Genre - Setting: Fantasy
Genre - Style: Idealism
Genre - Plot: Action/Adventure

Criticism - It was a great book. This book is good for anyone who likes fantasy and/or action/adventure novels. The only reason this book isn't five stars in my opinion is because there was too much romance.
Devi
Aug 27, 2014 Devi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book, the second volume of the Avatar trilogy, continues the story of the quest to return the tablet of fate to their rightful place. The story moves along at a good pace with enough action and twists to be interesting.

This is a re-read for me but it has been a lot of fun. Looking forward to the third volume.
Marie
Jan 20, 2013 Marie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Like the previous book in the series, the story was good but the writing was not that great. Biggest pet peeve this time: how many times can characters say something "flatly"!?! I have no problem with that being used occasionally, but no joke, that word was used at least a hundred times in this book. I began to groan every time I read it.
Annie Bass
The second book in this trilogy was a little more interesting than the first, but it was still fairly tedious. The second half of the story was more entertaining than the first, but I have a feeling that if I weren't reading this series as research for my D&D character (a cleric of Torm) (Hi, I'm a nerd.), I wouldn't have found it quite as interesting.
Mark
I guess Cyric turns evil or whatever? I don't know. I have this problem with these trilogies I read long ago, in that I never remember anything about the middle book. I remember where things start and I sort of remember where they end. In the middle? No. Not so much.
General H. Sassafras
Sep 29, 2010 General H. Sassafras rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like Shadowdale, I found the writing style awful.

However, the story keeps me coming back for more. I've read this trilogy more than once, and I always find that even if I hate Midnight and Kelemvor.... Cyric always has me coming back for more.
Vijayan Haridas
Feb 13, 2014 Vijayan Haridas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even as the heroes escape, Bane and his ally, Myrkul, God of Death, set in motion a plot. The plot just gets better and this is where friends become traitors. Chaos rules the Book 2 of the Avatar Trilogy.
Dhe
Sep 28, 2011 Dhe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
adoro leggere libri di vita visuta. anche quest lo è, ed è emozionante leggerlo e vivere ciò che è stato fatto. daà un punto di vista diverso a regate e similari, il punto di vista di chi le fa e non solo le racconta.
Robert
Sep 28, 2008 Robert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Honor, lycanthropes, betrayal and the fact that the characters become gods elevate this trilogy over some of the more mundane and predictable dungeons and dragons novels.
Stephan Schobloch
Not quite as bad as "Shadowdale" but that is not saying a lot.
Jwn
Mar 21, 2012 Jwn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are a fan of FR, these books tell an epic account of the doings of the gods. Subtle characterizations may be difficult to catch, but overall, the story itself is fascinating.
  • Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Darkwell (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #3)
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • Pools of Darkness (Forgotten Realms: Pools, #2)
  • Shadows of Doom (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #1)
  • Crypt of the Shadowking (Forgotten Realms: The Harpers, #6)
  • Thornhold (The Harpers, #16; Songs & Swords, #4)
  • Dangerous Games (Forgotten Realms: Netheril, #2)
  • Final Gate (Forgotten Realms: The Last Mythal, #3)
Richard Awlinson is the pseudonym used for the initial trilogy of the Avatar Series in the Forgotten Realms.

Book One, Shadowdale, was written by Scott Ciencin

Book Two, Tantras, was written by Scott Ciencin and edited by James Lowder

Book Three, Waterdeep, was written by Troy Denning
More about Richard Awlinson...

Forgotten Realms: Avatar (6 books)
  • Shadowdale (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #1)
  • Kampen om Tantras (Forgotten Realms: Avatar # 4)
  • Waterdeep (Forgotten Realms: Avatar #3)
  • Prince of Lies (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #4)
  • Crucible: The Trial of Cyric the Mad (Forgotten Realms: Avatar, #5)