Start by marking “Summer in Eclipse Bay” as Want to Read:
Summer in Eclipse Bay

Summer in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  2,104 ratings  ·  52 reviews
One of the hottest writers in romance returns to small-town Eclipse Bay, Oregon, to to ignite scandalous passions between a pair of star-crossed lovers -- and rekindle a decades-old feud between their families -- in this third installment in her New York Times bestselling trilogy.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published June 1st 2002 by Books On Tape (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Summer in Eclipse Bay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Summer in Eclipse Bay

Barks & Bites
I listened to this as an unabridged audiobook and if it weren't for the fact that I was trapped in a car with no other form of entertainment to be found I more than likely would've given up on this one mid-way through. The characters were too blah to hold my attention and their attraction to each other just didn't come alive for me.

It turns out this story is the third in a series but it easily stands alone since its plot isn't exactly complicated. Octavia Brightwell is relatively new to Eclipse...more
Andrea Hussey
plot spoilers*
I hated that he had a kid. That can ruin a book for me. I don’t see the appeal of getting with a man whose already created a family with someone else. And the intellectual 5 yr old was annoying and ridiculous. The whole he’s-smarter than-his-years thing and showing business tactics was ridiculous.

She had worn a pale, fluttery dress that fell to her ankles and a pair of dainty, strappy little heels that had emphasized her elegantly arched feet.
Her elegantly arched feet?
Am I to belie...more
Farah
Nick's way of putting people in their places and standing up for Octavia was swoon worthy .. he was also kinda of adorable whenever he tried to make Octavia happy by going along with her plans. Octavia was a little bland but her scene with the two gossipers in the supermarket had me giggling uncontrollably *instant like* love a heroine that can stand up for herself and do it with attitude.

I liked Jeremy and enjoyed the little bits and pieces of him with Gail and I liked how he and Nick repair...more
Sandy
This is like a movie; everything ends up happily ever after. It was too perfect. The story was bland. It's not a page-turner and I was very disappointed with the ending. Not recommended. 1/5 stars.
Angela James
One of my least favorite books by her, I've remembered. I probably will not reread again.
Pat Cromwell
The last book of the trilogy and of course there are no more Madison brothers for hero's so this book is all about Hannah and Lillian's brother Nick and the great grand-daughter of the woman who started the entire Madison-Harte feud. It is only fitting that Nick and Olivia be the couple that completely ends the feud. As with Gabe and Rafe (hero's from book 1 & 2) as I read the book, all I could picture was this brooding guy standing against the wall in deep thought assimilating a plan to get...more
Debbie
This is the third book in the Eclipse Bay trilogy and I liked it the best.

This book revolves around Nick Harte and Octavia Brightwell.

Nick is Hannah and Lillian's brother. His wife Amelia had died in a plane crash nearly four years ago leaving Nick and his now five year old son, Carson. Nick has developed a reputation for not letting any woman get close to him in a relationship and has acquired the nickname 'Hardhearted Harte'.

Octavia Brightwell is a successful art gallery owner and the niece of...more
Kathy
Nick... a Harte (and it is repeated - Harte's 'know what they want', 'go after what they want', 'are honest', 'know their passion', 'stay with their woman', etc.) with his precocious 6 year old son... return to Eclipse Bay because he can't get Octavia off his mind - but being a man who's wife was running off with another man when she was killed, he doesn't admit to himself that he might fall in love with her. Octavia's aunt caused the rift between the grandfathers, and she has come to help, but...more
Art
This one I got, without reading the earlier ones, so I'll deal with it as stand-alone.
Krentz's books are usually well-written, with multiple layers of plot and twisty mystery. I was pleased that she kept me wondering as to the thief right to the end. It was an easy-going love story, an easy read for a day when I wanted no stress, and didn't want to think too deeply. In this, shevdid admirably well.
Jilly
Through this entire series I keep waiting for one of the women to tell Mitchell to fuck right off and let her get laid. He keeps saying he doesn't want these men "fooling around" and/or "shacking up" with the women and it's like, what if she wants to get shacked?? This is not the dark ages and Mitchell is not the keeper of the keys to her chastity belt. Fuck off!!
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is the third book in the Eclipse Bay series and I think this was the best one. The third Harte sibling is the main character in this book. Nick Harte returns to Eclipse Bay for the summer with his 5 year old son Carson. He is hoping to get Octavia Brightwell to go out with him. Carson develops a friendship with Octavia and is entering a picture in her art show. He does not want his dad to mess things up. A valuable picture disappears from her gallery and Nick is hired to help her find out w...more
Lauren
Summer in Eclipse Bay
2 Stars

Synopsis
Octavia Butler has come to Eclipse Bay to heal the rift between the Hartes and the Madisons caused by her aunt. But Octavia finds more than she counted on when she becomes the object of affection for heart-breaker Nick Harte as well as the prime suspect in the case of a missing painting.

Review
Unfortunately, Nick and Octavia are as bland as a couple can get and it is difficult to care about their romance.
The mystery of the stolen painting is trite and the inve...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
Nick Harte has been raising his son since the death of his wife five years before. He has dated, but not been serious in all that time. His eye is fixed by Octavia Brightwell, who runs the local art gallery. His son has fallen under her spell, but she continually turns him down. They end up dating and he is thrown into some feelings he is not expecting. He is being berated by the old men in the family, and he must convince Octavia to remain in Eclipse Bay. They finally get to solve some very old...more
Mary
fun read did not read previous books in series but the story stood on its own a little mystery, and love
Dannielle
Once again I wasn't able to figure out who the thief was, so that is always nice.

I did think Octavia was manipulative with Nick. I'm just not a fan of those kind of females. It wasn't like any harm was done, but at least Nick called her on it. I really liked both Nick and Octavia. Carson was really cute and so serious at times. What a great little boy.

Mitchell tried to interfere with their relationship but thankfully he didn't do much harm. I guess it helped a little that neither of them is ac...more
Michelle Tempted By Books
Long feuding families the Hartes and the Madisons are well known through Eclipse Bay. A small tourist town on the Oregon coast has a host of interesting characters, not the least of which is Arizona Snow. I think she was likely the most enjoyable character in these books. We meet her also in the Arcane Society books. That said this series follows the newest generation of the Hartes and Madisons, will they follow the rivalry or will they repair the rift. I found this to be one of the more enjoyab...more
Max Bolongaita
Finally, after 12 years, I finally finished reading this series. I found the first book second hand and I thought it would be great if I got the entire series from a store that sold pre-loved books. It was mehh compared to the first one. I think time changes perspectives on books and after more than a decade of books in between the first and the last, I think my preferences have changed drastically, especially in regards to the writing style.

Jayne Anne Krentz is okay, but I've moved on.
Barbara ★
I really liked Nick Harte and his son Carson. When Nick met Octavia Brightwell, he was hurting from a previous marriage though not why everyone thinks. And Octavia had family issues of her own. The attraction is instant but Octavia knows that getting involved with hard-hearted Nick would be a huge mistake. It's fun to watch them connect and back-pedal. This is romantic courting at it's finest. Jayne Ann does it again. A great conclusion to the Eclipse Bay trilogy.
Maria
The third and last in the Eclipse Bay series, on first reading I felt this one lacked something, but now that I've had time to read it three more times, I have grown to appreciate the plot, which I thought somewhat tame the first time. Now it seems subtle rather than tame, the characters have grown on me, and the dialogue, as usual, is believable and entertaining. This book has a particularly good beginning.
Denise
I enjoyed this book. The author managed to create a lot of chemistry between the two main characters. There were parts of the story that was a little far fetched... much ado about a children's art show, the constant gossip & the fascination with the two families, the famous mating ritual of the main character, however the story was cute and very enjoyable.

This was my second time reading it.
Katy
I think any of Krenz's books, under any of her pen names, could be made into a movie. I like the lightness of this story--an unknown masterpiece inherited by the local eccentrics, the painting stolen, trying to heal the wounds of a long ago past, good romantic reading.

BUT! my heroine is Arizona Snow! I want an AZ Snow story!
Julie
My least favorite of the trilogy. I'd say the first book was the one I liked the most. There is a bit of a mystery in this one, and it's fairly easy to solve right away. Also, I'm not sure why the two leads like each other. I get that they are supposed to, but I don't find any evidence for it in the book.
Liz
Listened to the whole series in the drive to and from Atlanta while on vacation the past week. It was great to listen to, really enjoy these stories. It was refreshing to return to her earlier books, without the domination of the paranormal sub-story; good stories with lots of humor.
Donna
this was the 3rd in the series. I liked all 3. They flowed very well from one to the next. Each book would stand alone if needed because each character is described in each book but best starting with the first and reading through to the last.
Mem
Eclipse Bay # 3
Nick Harte is a successful author who has lost his touch. Octavia Brightwell is back in Eclipse Bay and knows her family's past is best kept hidden.
Small town and the families in it deal with the problems of the past.
Peggy
Fun series. Not much in the mystery department because I figured out the "bad guy" in all three of the books almost as soon as it was clear there was a mystery involved. Still they were all fun books.
Bj Hoover
I enjoyed rereading this third in the Eclipse Bay trilogy. Best read with the previous two to follow all the characters and this wrap up of their troubles and reconciliations.
C K
This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that.
penelopewanders
Really should give this three and a half stars, I guess. Enjoyable, feel-good rather predictable story. Just what the doctor ordered for a day not feeling well in bed.
Carrie
Not bad, especially good secondary characters, but I don't know if that was enough to make me want to go back and read the rest of the series.
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Summer in Eclipse Bay (2002) Book 3 1 1 Sep 27, 2012 11:34AM
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Wait Until Midnight
  • Fabulous Beast

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Sant...more
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, # 5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7; Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) All Night Long Smoke in Mirrors Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3)

“Guys don't get romantically involved."
"What do they get?"
"Involved, period.”
8 likes
“Later we can go to dinner.”
“I suppose that might work,” she said.
She sounded so damn casual, he thought. As if the decision she had just made weren’t staggering in its implications. As if it weren’t going to alter destinies and change the fate of nations.”
3 likes