Brothers in Arms (Dragonlance: Raistlin Chronicles, #2)

Brothers in Arms (Dragonlance: Raistlin Chronicles #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  4,608 ratings  ·  50 reviews
In the months after the events of The Soulforge, Raistlin and Caramon join a mercenary army. The army's first assignment is to capture a city that holds a secret known only to Lord Ariakas, commander of the newly formed dragonarmies.
Published August 1st 1999 by Wizards of the Coast (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Brothers in Arms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brothers in Arms

Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret WeisDragons of Winter Night by Margaret WeisDragons of Spring Dawning by Margaret WeisTime of the Twins by Margaret WeisTest of the Twins by Margaret Weis
The Best of Dragonlance
16th out of 49 books — 67 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienMagician by Raymond E. FeistLegend by David Gemmell
Best Heroic Fantasy
121st out of 425 books — 600 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeff Yoak
This story both fills in the 5 years prior to the scheduled reunion of the companions for both the Majere Brothers and Kitiara. The story for the brothers is a little weak, but the story helps to understand the transformation of their sister.

One of the things that disappoints me about the tales, preludes and other works added to the very successful Dragonlance universe is that they filled in the gaps with every little thing that ever came close to the heroes had deep significance and provided th...more
Rita Arcidiacono
Come al solito, c'è da dire "grazie" ai pochi denari spesi per tradurre libri fantasy in Italia. Già dal titolo, cui è stato furbescamente aggiunto "Raistlin" che nella versione originale non c'era, si cerca di trarre il lettore in inganno. Nulla di ché come libro... ho fatto fatica a leggerlo tutto sia per la scarsa qualità della traduzione, sia per il contenuto in sé. Troppa "realtà" in questa presentazione del passato dei famosi gemelli di Dragonlance. Li si vede prendere posto tra le fila di...more
Manny
You cannot lose if you read anything containing this Raistlin fellow!
Modern Girl
Two stars seems harsh - but compared to the other Dragonlance books, this one really dropped the ball. Yes, I liked it, I guess. I was kinda bored. I just re-read the Chronicles Triology, and they blew my mind. Then I re-read the Legends Trilogy and discovered new twists and understanding and emotions, and it was great. But The Soulforge and Brothers in Arms are let downs compared to the original six. I mean, the War of Lance is a world wide war, with lots of twists. Both of these books are just...more
This rating may seem a little harsh, but it's mainly in comparison to the other Dragonlance books I've read - which I have really enjoyed - and also because I feel like this book failed to live up to both my own expectations and its own potential.

I expected a series of adventures with Caramon and Raistlin, wherein we would cover the five years between Raistlin's test and the meeting of the companions at the beginning of the Chronicles series. Instead, we get only the beginning of their adventure...more
Anastasia
As a continuation of Soulforge, Brothers in Arms is only slightly disappointing: the changed dynamic between the twins following Raistlin's test in the tower of high sorcery is an important part of the Dragonlance mythos, and here it at times falls apart. The addition of a half kender character that isn't too reminiscent of the famous Tasslehoff Burrfoot works fairly well, and the lives of the twins as well as their absent sibling Kitiara are nicely interwoven. Those unfamiliar with the Dragonla...more
Russman
I moderately enjoyed this book. Staples of the mercenary life are there, and there is plenty of action. Through most of the "Raistlin Chronicles" though, we see him and Caramon talking and behaving as they did in Chronicles and Legends. There was no feeling that I was experiencing a more juvenile Raistlin. Another thing that throws me off is that for guys who did this much in this book they should know a little more about the state of the world in Chronicles before the war started. It's as if th...more
Jim C
The second book of The Raistlin Chronicles in the Dragonlance realm. This book is about the first real adventure of Raistlin and Caramon after Raistlin took the test. This book also devotes a good amount to Kitiara, their half-sister. This is a must read if you are a dragonlance fan. I liked how the authors portrayed the characters development before the original books. The reader gets a deeper insight how Raistlin develops and his growth in power of magic. I really enjoyed Kitiara's story in th...more
Ubiquitousbastard
It seems some other faithful readers agree with my rating of this book. There just wasn't that certain something that the other books in the series had. Raistlin was toned down, and not quite up to his usual snarkiness (odd, considering that this is a Weis book). I've always found Caramon to be sort of bland and uninteresting unless there is a heavy Raistlin influence on him at the time. And really, the plot just did not do anything for me. I kind of had to work my way through this one, which I...more
Craig
Truly the tragedy of two brothers could not be more epitomized by any other novel more than this one. Raistlin is, for lack of better terminology, a badass who doesn't care about anyone but himself and accomplishes all his goals while his brother Caramon turns into one fighting for the good of everything bearing the griefs brought on by his brother. Raistlin ultimately doesn't shame the bond of brotherhood but for the longest time you are smiling while he does appalling act after act. You grin a...more
Bert Janssens
Entertaining as it should be. Nothing more....
Lady Belinda
A deeper look into my favorite character, Raistlin Majere, after taking the Test in the Tower of High Sorcery at Wayreth. This is an excellent book that shows how Raistlin came to find out some of the secrets that his Staff of Magius held and how Caramon progressed from a farm hand to a mercenary soldier. This book details the twins joining the mercenary army of the Mad Baron, Baron Ivor of Langtree. An excellent read if you are looking to find out more about the twins and their half sister, Kit...more
casapazzo
Not Margaret Weis' finest work on the twins. The book suffers from an overabundance of knowledge about the future - and the strange need to show it off. It's enjoyable reading purely because the characters are old friends (if one grew up on the other Dragonlance novels), but their characterisation occasionally strains belief. Caramon couldn't possibly be this stupid and still be alive to be the simple -- but not a dumb-ass -- man we came to appreciate in Chronicles.
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
This was a nice addition to Raistlin's Saga. Unfortunally there were only two books in it because I could figure Margaret Weis writing more adventures about Caramon and Raistlin.

In this book we learn more of how Raistlin turn to be a warmage. How he fought in the mercenary company and such. Unfortunally being written after the Dragonlance chronicles the writers (Don Perrin and Weis) were tied up a little bit.

Nevertheless... Excelent.
Josh
I enjoyed this book more than I did the first one. It had less Raistlin and his extremely annoying attitude. This book featured more of the other main characters we meet in the first book. I enjoyed seeing Kitiara more and learning about what she was going through. This book has a very strong cast and I enjoy reading about all of them. I will read the other books in the series, but I really hope they don't feature Raistlin as much.
Paul
After taking the test at the Tower of High Sorcery, Raistlin and Caramon set out to Langtree to become mercenaries. Caramon is trained as a warrior, and Raistlin is trained as a battle mage by a brown robed wizard Horkin. when their training is complete the army is given marching orders to go to the city of Hope's End to quell a rebellion. Meanwhile Kitiara is in Sanction, rising through the ranks of the dragon army.
Guin
I'm confused here...wasn't this series supposed to be about Raistlin and Caramon? Why is there a large portion of it devoted to their sister? This book was a big dissapointment for me, especially since I enjoyed The Soulforge so much. Ms. Weis writes better on her own than she does with Perrin. Honestly, I'd rather see the series left hanging if they're going to keep following Kitiara, rather than the twins.
Dara
One of my absolute favourite in the Dragonlance series. Just can't get enough of Raistlin, and his early days of compassion and self-inflicted turmoil are so interesting. Also learning of how Kitiara grew into her character shown in later books is amazing... I wish there were a third book in this series, and one more tail of Raistlin and Caramon's adventures in Baron Langtree's mercenary army.
Miriam
I'd say I recommended this for Majere completists, but honestly nothing significant happens that we haven't already learned about in previous installments. Sure there are more details here but they are mainly lard. Why bother throwing in some new, half-developed characters and other filler elements? Probably just because the authors new it would sell and make them an easy buck.
Adam
Engaging and well-paced fantasy novel with very likable characters. Definitely inclined to check out more of the Dragonlance novels.
Scott Block
What a great duo! Of all the Companions, these two have the deepest history and the most weight. I continuously go back and forth between chastising Raistlin for his treatment of his brother and commending Caramon for putting up with it. But when it comes down to it, no to are better together in a fight.
Nisha
Book Two of the Raistlin Chronicles-- I didn't like this one as much as The Soulforge, simply because there was less Raistlin (and more time taken up with his boring half-sister Kitiara and her rise to power as a Dragon Highlord.) Still, worth reading if you're a Dragonlance fan.
Tim
Knap, zeer knap geschreven. En hoewel het draaide rond de broertjes Majere, vind ik ook hier dat er nog veel materiaal is voor een vervolg met dan eventueel de nadruk op Kitiara bijv. en hoe ze verder in het leger evolueerde. Maar mss komt er ooit wel een dergelijk vervolg.
Quinn
Jan 04, 2014 Quinn added it
To be honest,Raistlin FREAKS ME OUT!I was introduced o him reading the Dragonlance chronicles
Jeff
I enjoyed this book more that its predecessor. This book portrays Raistlin in a more empathetic light, as a young mage getting some early, real-life experience as a would-be mercenary battle mage. He's nowhere near as obnoxious as portrayed in the previous book.
Philana Walker
This book continues with the story of the twins, and introduces their half-sister Kitiara. We really get into the heads of the characters we love and watch as they travel the path to become the powerful twisted people we need them to be for the sake of Dragonlance.
Curtis
Better than the last one, but I still didn't like the way that they seemed to have some crappy characturization of themselves. Plus the thing with the moon should really have been revisited in other books, or not brought up at all for that matter.
Ki
PG-- maybe slightly offensive to those with really high standards.

I enjoyed this one a lot. Much more fun than some other Dragonlance books, and you can actually read the book without screaming at the main characters.
Lorinda
The books in this series are really giving a more in depth look into the motivations of the Raistlin character. Though not one of my favorites, I don't dislike him near as much now that I understand him better.
Elizabeth
This book was a little slower than the others but still enjoyable. This book is where you get to see Raist and Caramon fight together in their first battle and when the dragons start really coming out to play.
  • Dalamar the Dark (Dragonlance: Classics, #2)
  • Tides of Blood (Dragonlance: The Minotaur Wars, #2)
  • Lord of the Rose (Dragonlance: Rise of Solamnia, #1)
  • Sanctuary (Dragonlance: Elven Exiles, #1)
  • Redemption (Dragonlance: Dhamon Saga, #3)
  • Firstborn (Dragonlance:  Elven Nations, #1)
  • The Rose and the Skull (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #4)
  • Night of the Eye (Dragonlance: Defenders of Magic, #1)
  • Legacy of Steel (Dragonlance: Bridges of Time, #2)
  • Knights of the Sword (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #3)
  • The Gully Dwarves (Dragonlance: Lost Histories, #5)
  • Lord Soth (Dragonlance: The Warriors, #6)
  • Lord Toede (Dragonlance: Villains, #5)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para...more
More about Margaret Weis...
Dragons of Autumn Twilight  (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #1) Dragons of Spring Dawning (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #3) Dragons of Winter Night (Dragonlance: Chronicles, #2) Time of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #1) War of the Twins (Dragonlance: Legends, #2)

“Uh, Lunitaris idish, shirak, damen du!” 3 likes
“And he enjoyed listening to Caramon's gossip. Raistlin enjoyed proving to his own satisfaction that his fellow mortals were fools and idiots, while Caramon took immense pleasure in bringing a smile - albeit a sardonic smile - to his twin's lips.” 2 likes