Start by marking “Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and Post-War Pop” as Want to Read:
Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and Post-War Pop

Crosstown Traffic: Jimi Hendrix and Post-War Pop

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  9 reviews
This volume traces the sources of Jimi Hendrix's talent, showing how his knowledge of black musical traditions enabled him to cross racial barriers and achieve legendary status as both musician and performer. In the 30 years since his death his influence has not diminished.
Unknown Binding, Revised edition, 326 pages
Published May 21st 2001 by Not Avail (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Crosstown Traffic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crosstown Traffic

Neil Kernohan
This is by far a better book about Jimi Hendrix than most other biographies and hagiographies on the market. Murray is a superb rock critic and writer and here he examines in some depth the musical and cultural influences on Hendrix the artist - jazz, soul and blues - as well as the cultural and technological revolutions that helped shape the 1960s as the most significant decade in the history of popular music. In a series of well argued and very informative chapters he explains how Hendrix went ...more
Carole Tyrrell
It’s been over 20 years since I acquired my autographed copy of this and I have written my review on this edition.
This was a fascinating read as it told me so much I didn’t know about Jimi Hendrix. He appeared to have a guitar permanently welded to his body and even slept with it.
Murray describes in detail Hendrix’s pre-fame years on the ‘chittlin circuit’ which was a circuit of exclusively black clubs where a lot of black musicians started out. They paid their dues in this way and Hendrix was
James Rozoff
A unique take on the Jimi Hendrix story. If you read only one book on Jimi Hendrix, this is probably not the one you'll want to pick up. But if you have read one and are looking to pick up another, this should be the one. This book is not complete as far of details, but it gives you good understanding of the world Jimi was born into as well as the one he eventually found himself.
Joe
Aug 29, 2007 Joe rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Air twitchers
I was familiar with Mr Shaar Murray from his numerous "talking head" type appearances on music-related shows with titles like the "Top 100 Rock Albums of all Time" or "We Love Seventies Disco" or "Did You Know, Your Dad Spent The Entire Sixties Out Of His Head Chasing Skirt and Listening to Santana?". I had a very negative view of Mr Murray, in fact I thought he was a pretentious, narcissistic, er, bloke.
I couldn't have been more wrong. This guy is a brilliant writer, a true music enthusiast an
Rog Harrison
I bought this book to read on a train journey and was not sure what to expect. It is not a biography of Hendrix, though it does give some details of his life, but rather seeks to explain the influences on Hendrix and also the influence Hendrix has had on modern music. It's a fascinating read even if my tastes and the author's tastes are sometimes quite different. At the end the author conducts a what might have been ten page interview with Hendrix as if he had not died in 1970 which gives him th ...more
Greg
Crosstown Traffic explores the Jimi Hendrix mythos from an Englishman's perspective. This book contains less details on Hendrix life and more on who he played with when, how his music developed and why. Once again a fun read but recommend readers check out other Hendrix biographies for more insight into the man.
Neil Clarke
Just done! One of the best music books I've ever read. CSM writes like a dream and is so knowledgeable of the history of Hendrix, his place in music; all the genres he touched upon; what he was influenced by; what he was an influence on.
Simply a stunning read.
Maishah
This book was well written, however is not a biography. If you are looking for a good book on some of Hendrix's influences, this would be the one.
Rhianna
didn't take much for me to love this. a powerful insight into one of the greatest guitar heroes that ever lived.
Ash Wilson
Ash Wilson marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Samantha Silver
Samantha Silver marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2015
Karen Villanueva
Karen Villanueva marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2015
Alex Camarillo
Alex Camarillo marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Dick
Dick marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2015
Alec Heehs
Alec Heehs is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Sam Bray
Sam Bray marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Diamond
Diamond marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
  • Rolling With The Stones
  • Bird Lives!: The High Life & Hard Times of Charlie (Yardbird) Parker
  • Tunesmith: Inside the Art of Songwriting
  • Ocean of Sound: Aether Talk, Ambient Sound and Imaginary Worlds
  • Storming the Reality Studio: A Casebook of Cyberpunk & Postmodern Science Fiction
  • The Runaway Soul
  • White Bicycles: Making Music in the 1960s
  • Leonard Bernstein
  • Krautrocksampler
  • The Art of Hunger: Essays, Prefaces, Interviews, The Red Notebook
  • Pride
  • Elvis
  • Jimi Hendrix: The Man, the Magic, the Truth
Boogie Man: The Adventures of John Lee Hooker in the American Twentieth Century Shots from the Hip Jimi Hendrix - Vie et legende The Guitar Geek Dossier Blues On Cd: The Essential Guide