If I'd Known Then: Women in their 20s and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves

3.35 of 5 stars 3.35  ·  rating details  ·  133 ratings  ·  34 reviews
If you could send a letter back in time to yourself, what would it say? Following in the tradition of the bestselling What I Know Now™ comes a new collection that will speak directly to young women. Editor Ellyn Spragins asked women under forty to write letters to the girls they once were, filled with the advice and insights they wish they’d had when they were younger. Rea...more
Published April 22nd 2008 by Da Capo Press (first published April 21st 2008)

Elevate Difference
If I'd Known Then is a collection of letters and stories about successful women, some of them celebrities, looking back at their younger selves with grains of experiential wisdom. Actress Jessica Alba, singer/songwriter Lisa Loeb, and Flickr founder Caterina Fake are some of the participants. It is meant to be an inspirational book, giving extrapolative advice about self-esteem and perseverance in the face of unkind conditions, peers, and standards.

Each featured participant has an entire chapter...more
Ummu Auni
I picked this book because the title intrigued me. I read through this leisurely. The author added background on each personality portrayed in this book. The letters were short, but remarkable. Most of it on our insecurities-the elders writing to their younger version-to give life a chance, to not be heart broken when the cute boy you met didn't call you,to address your insecurities (it's no wonder that most of us despite how beautiful or talented someone is, we feel insecure enough about oursel...more
anahashim
assalamualaikum wbt,

alhamdulillah i am able to finish this novel.this books resembles and reflects my life as a 23 years old lady.somehow i felt i am loser, while mostly i feel i lost my tracks.oh Allah, please guide me.

i will read this book again and again to remind myself and learn how to build my future.insyaAllah.
Julie
I really wanted to like this book. However, instead of feeling inspired, I was mainly bored.
Cindy Hudson
Have you ever wished you could write a letter to yourself when you were younger to give yourself hope or encouragement to get through a difficult time? That's what the 35 women did who appear in If I'd Know Then, Women in Their 20s and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves.

Readers will recognize many of the writers as well as receive introductions to remarkable women they may not have heard of before. The letters are all heartfelt, with the authors talking directly to the young girls they on...more
Rianna B
Going in, I didn't know very many females interviewed in this book, but it seemed cool. & I LOVE Jessica Alba from since she was in PUNKS.. & that was a big factor in me reading this. lol, but not in a sexual way. There were probably 5-10 other folks I've heard of & half of whom I knew who they were.

On the expositions and letters, most were decent. Childhood-teenage years are pretty much difficult for everyone for 1 reason or multiple. A fair amount of these people/chapters were craz...more
Lu
The letters focus more on personal reflections rather than drawing broader, sweeping conclusions. The quality of the conclusions varies widely from authors. Its target audience is more suited toward preteens and teenagers. Anyone older will find the content regarding high school and college irrelevant. Some nuggets of wisdom and entertainment for a rather short book.
Rebecca
I did really like it. If I'd known then is Famous people writing to them selves when they either first started their career or any time younger than 19. People like Natasha Bettingfield and Bethany Hamilton. They realize that now the know and wish the would have known then. There is about 20 people that wrote to them selves and some I've never even heard of. Most of the stories and letters are really good there is just one that I didn't like. The theme is regret and simply life. It is shown thro...more
Limau Nipis
A different self motivation book, this book focuses on famous people writing to their younger self.

I like the introduction part, acknowledging the background of these famous females.

One of the most heartfelt story is on Mindy Lam, the girl who is considered unlucky because she, as a female is the first born in the family.

And when she was sick and bedridden, she created her first piece of jewellery using crystal. Here is an example of elaborate pieces by her company.

[image error]

Oh wow, a fairyta...more
Chantel
If I'd Known Then: Women Under 35 Write Letters to Their Younger Selves
Author: Ellyn Spragins

I'm 34. I should have gotten the one that was by/for women much older than me. As it was, I still felt a tug at the heart and the tear ducts while reading this book but I didn't get as much out of it as a younger person might. This book would be great for a school age girl (high school or college) to gain a better perspective on what they are going through and how it will and especially won't affect them...more
Katakgirl
I picked up this book because it was on sale and it has a very intriguing title I was curious about. I started reading the first few bios letters (includes Jessica Alba and Natasha Beddingfield)and i was literally hooked into it. I would say its a really inspiring book for young teens and young women. It made me miss my teenage years so much and realized that I actually couldn't buy back the time I wasted. But with these letters, it encourages us that sometimes is okay, as long as you make up to...more
Serene
This was a great book the theme of this book would be accomplishment and struggle. An example of accomplish is in every letter they either became famous, a dancer, a swimmer etc. An example of struggle is when in the letters they say without the struggle they wouldn't be where they are now. What I think the author was trying to say is that first comes struggle then come reward. I would recommend this book to ages 13 and up.
Diana
Brad Paisley made me read this.
This is one of those books everyone should take time to read. Most of us usually compare our lives to the perfect lives we think these women have, but now we learn that they had some pretty hard times too.
It kind of makes you want to say "Hey my life really isn't that bad."
This book is for young woman to realized that they are not alone in what they're feeling or going through.
Hailey Story
I absolutely loved this book If I'd Known Then. Its about women from their 20's through 30's talking about either mistakes they made while they were younger of things that they remember that was a exciting thing in their life. Each Women's story's were in this book that Ellyn Spragins (the Author..) interviewed. The theme would be realism because your able to relate to a lot of the story's in this book.
Fariza
It'S great to read those letters written to the younger self of the writers, some of them were really relevant to me now. I do learn a lot from this great works. Life used to be a bunch of shit for certain peoples but it will become a great experience that you know you'll remember for the whole of your life. Live your life now as happy as you can because you know one it's going to be better. It always be.
Lyla Ibrahim
Inspiring. It's always a good feeling to read stories about successful people and how they overcome all hurdles in their lives, turn their lives around. Not every aspects in our lives is a good one, but as they say, every cloud has a silver lining.

I wonder what I would write to my younger self...
Jodi
I enjoyed this and am anxious to read the next book of hers. It was interesting to learn about how these women came to be where they are - from the widow that started Tarte cosmetics (hello, love it!) to Hussein's prospect that moved to the US to avoid him. Jessica Alba's was lame though ;)
Mya
I thought this was an interesting premise for a book and overall it was okay. However, the introductory stories could have been improved with some careful editing. The letters themselves were fairly similar in their message and not particularly enlightening or inspiring.
kyersten
Oct 03, 2008 kyersten rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
This was a real fast read. You can't help but think of your own younger self. I know exacally how old I was when I could have used a letter from my future self. Too bad we can't really give our younger selves advice like that. Read it. You'll probably learn something.
Peggy
This was an ok book about some half way famous people who overcame obstacles to achieve objectives. The book gives a brief bio of each person and the obstacles they overcame and then has the person write a letter to their younger self giving advice.
Adeline Myers
inspiring reflections of successful women, looking back at themselves. Some of them are really moving and it is a reminder we all struggle with similar things, especially in our teens and as young women. it will all get better, that is the consensus!
Claire
I'm biased here, as my pal Magali has a letter in this book, but I genuinely enjoyed this collection, and found the essays inspiring. The timing of the book's release is perfect--this would make an excellent graduation gift, particularly for teens.
Sofia
Not as good as I was expecting, kind of boring actually. It only took me one evening to read... You'll get a gem or two out of this book, but otherwise, the "letters to myself" are bland, short, common and uninspiring.
Rhonda
Very quick read. Short bio on each contributing author, then a letter from herself to her as a sixth or seventh grader with advice on how to get through what brings them to who they are now.

Mary
Selected women under forty write letters to the girls they once were to communicate the wisdom they wish they had possessed when they were younger. Very so-so IMHO.
Valerie Barcinal
I know this book means well, but I think it failed in its purpose. I guess I'm just used to more drama, and not just one or two pages of description about each person.
Chanin
I don't think I've ever given only 1 star before. This looked so promising. Write your younger self a letter and don't bother with the book.
Katie
seemed more like a long list of cliches than anything else... maybe the original was better?
Shafaza Zara
I wonder what would I write to myself later on. Should try write something as well.
Stephanie
This book almost had me crying in parts. I wish I'd read it when I was a teen.
  • The Intellectual Devotional Modern Culture: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Converse Confidently with the Culturati
  • We Are the Ones We Have Been Waiting for: Inner Light in a Time of Darkness
  • My Brother's Voice: How a Young Hungarian Boy Survived the Holocaust: A True Story
  • Cafe Europa: Life After Communism
  • Why Sh*t Happens: The Science of a Really Bad Day
  • Note to Self: On Keeping a Journal and Other Dangerous Pursuits
  • Sarajevo Marlboro
  • What Did I Do Wrong?: When Women Don't Tell Each Other the Friendship Is Over
  • Sex for One: The Joy of Selfloving
  • Twenty-five Books That Shaped America: How White Whales, Green Lights, and Restless Spirits Forged Our National Identity
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • Monkey Bridge
  • Oceana: Our Endangered Oceans and What We Can Do to Save Them
  • The Big Sea
  • Uncle John's Unsinkable Bathroom Reader
  • For a Future to Be Possible: Buddhist Ethics for Everyday Life
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Weird Hauntings: True Tales of Ghostly Places
What I Know Now: Letters to My Younger Self What I Know Now About Success: Letters from Extraordinary Women to Their Younger Selves What I Know Now About Success: Letters from Extraordinary Women to Their Younger Selves Choosing and Using an HMO (Bloomberg Personal Bookshelf) If I'd Known Then: Women in Their 20s and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves (What I Know Now)