Start by marking “The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States” as Want to Read:
The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States

The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States

4.6 of 5 stars 4.60  ·  rating details  ·  20 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This monumental work by Benjamin Morris documents the extensive and essential Christian contribution to the development of the United States of America.
Published January 1st 2010 by American Vision Press (first published 1864)

Be the first to ask a question about The Christian Life and Character of the Civil Institutions of the United States

Rob
This book is fascinating. What a fine collection of the founding of the United States.
Compare modern America to the Founding Father's and you will see that the apple has fallen VERY FAR from the tree. Very few Americans would honestly consider themselves Christians after seeing the piety and Christian devotion of the founders of our great land. Shame on us for failing to teach these things to our children and hold ourselves to these same high and noble ideals.

I would love to see someone provide
Argin Gerigorian
Ben. Morris' magnum opus is a well documented book with tons of citations validating the position he is arguing for, which is a Christian America, or at the very least the influence of Christianity in our nation's political birth.

Morris traces his theory back to the Reformation and even writes, quoting Bancroft, "He that will not honor the memory and respect the influence of Calvin knows but little of the origin of American liberty." (pg. 79) Thus we see that the Reformation was the foundation
Bob Mullins
Sometime tough reading in the text and verbiage of 1853. However there are many amazingly wonderful writen words in a style long gone that will be found here.

Historical details are priceless for understanding our early citizens serving in Congress, all the way back to Washington. Our country's Christian origins and foundations are undeniable in the massive presentation of actual documents, letters and notes.

There is a lack of footnotes/endnotes. However much was taken from works of the time and
Arjelia
Aug 17, 2010 Arjelia added it
Shelves: history, politics
Thus far, this is a fascinating read, it definitely makes you think about the pacifist tendencies that are displayed by Christians today. This book is challenging and puts the blame of our current political climate squarely on Christians, due to the lack of attention to political matters that they have. The Christian values that this country was founded upon has made this the country what it is and the lack of holding those principles up, has produced the U.S.A. that we now have.

I highly recomm
Mark
Great Book. A must read for every American~
Sam Hall
Sam Hall marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Pedro
Pedro marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Igor
Igor marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
David Morris
David Morris marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Mark Ehresman
Mark Ehresman marked it as to-read
May 08, 2014
Mike
Mike marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Hallie
Hallie marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Isaac Arthur
Isaac Arthur marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
Prarnaldo Coelho
Prarnaldo Coelho marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2014
Kimberly Lord
Kimberly Lord is currently reading it
Jan 18, 2014
Alvaro
Alvaro marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2014
Sean
Sean added it
Dec 06, 2013
Bruno Menezes
Bruno Menezes marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
Andrew
Andrew added it
Nov 10, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Analogy4u
Analogy4u marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Nivine Zakhari
Nivine Zakhari marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2013
Kathryn
Kathryn marked it as to-read
May 20, 2013
Jay Williams
Jay Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2013