Start by marking “A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell, #1)

A Perfect Evil (Maggie O'Dell #1)

4.02  ·  Rating Details ·  14,333 Ratings  ·  550 Reviews
The brutal murders of three young boys paralyze the citizens of Platte City, Nebraska. What's worse is the grim realization that the man recently executed for the crimes was a copycat. When Sheriff Nick Morrelli is called to the scene of another grisly murder, it becomes clear that the real predator is still at large, waiting to kill again.Morrelli understands the urgency ...more
Published August 1st 2008 by Mira Books (first published June 17th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Perfect Evil, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Perfect Evil

Jilly
Dec 20, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ooh, almost Christmas time. Tis the season.... for murder! (make sure you say murder in a creepy voice in your head. What, you trying to tell me that you DON'T have a creepy voice in your head? Then, you are a liar!)

Now that I have thoroughly offended anyone who has actually stuck around to read this review, here's the dealio:

So, there's a serial killer who is killing kids in a small town. The town's sheriff is a good-ol-boy, a fuck-boy, and totally out of his league. Send in the FBI expert prof
Phrynne
I found this book to be a bit of a mixture and therefore not easy to review. On the one hand it was very readable and I never actually put it to one side and went off to read something else! On the other hand neither did I wave it in the air at the end and say what a good book it was. The characters were somehow too flawed and Nick in particular never really redeemed himself at all. But the biggest problem was realising who the murderer was far too early in the book and then watching the so call ...more
Jonetta
When a young boy goes missing and is found brutally murdered in Platte City Nebraska days later, Sheriff Nick Morelli is advised to get help from FBI profiler Maggie O'Dell, especially after it appears to match previous crimes of a serial killer who was executed months earlier. O'Dell, however, is still reeling from a harrowing capture of a vicious killer a month ago where she almost lost her life.

The case was extremely interesting and captured my interest immediately. However, I found the rela
Alex is The Romance Fox
A Perfect Evil is Alex Kava's debut novel and the 1st book in her Maggie O'Dell Series.

We are introduced to FBI profiler, Maggie O'Dell, who has been tasked with investigating the kidnap/murders of three young boys in the small town of Platte City, Nebraska.

Working with the town's sheriff, Nick Morelli, she becomes part of a very dangerous game when the devious and evil killer becomes obsessed with her and begins playing a cat and mouse game with her.

The chemistry build up between Maggie and Nic
Mary Beth
I did like the story but it did have some issues. I liked the character Maggie O'Dell. It did have good character development. I did not like the ending. I am looking forward to the next book in the series. I hear it is much better.

There is animal cruelty.
Cupcakencorset
Jun 11, 2011 Cupcakencorset rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I discovered I had won book 8 in this series in a Goodreads drawing, my usual inability to read a series kicked in... especially when I realized I had, in fact, already read book 3 in 2006. Yes, by itself and out of order! I don't know how I did it, or why, but I decided to rectify the situation. Thus, I acquired the entire series (except, strangely, book 3) and started at the beginning. And what a beginning!

Kava's series features Maggie O'Dell, an 8-year veteran of the FBI when A Perfect E
Giselle
Jan 12, 2011 Giselle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Alex Kava back in 2007 when my husband bought it randomly as a birthday gift. I was always into mystery and suspense novels so I knew I would probably like it, but I had no idea I was going to love it this much.

Maggie is an FBI agent - a profiler - who's on the hunt for a serial killer. It sounds like your average murder mystery I know, but no it's really awesome! This is the first book in the Maggie O'Dell series, but it doesn't read like one. The writing is great and the characte
The North Wall
Oct 08, 2013 The North Wall rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to know where to start with this one. I thought I was on the verge of kicking off a new, smart female-centric series that I could get my teeth into. What I ended up with was a sub-par, not very thrilling thriller with a ridiculous Mills & Boon-esque romance simmering, panting, and almost but never quite cavorting in the background.

I was surprised to find alleged series lead Maggie O'Dell relegated to one of many POVs, with the bulk of the initial plot being driven by blander-than-
Karyn Niedert
Nicole
Mar 25, 2014 Nicole rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This books was truly terrible. I wanted to quit by the 10th chapter, but I usually finish a book once it's started. In this case it's a decision I deeply regret. Time in my life that I could have spent reading something good, is now gone forever.

None of the characters are at all likable and they are all downright stupid. The author had cops destroying evidence and bumbling around like fools. She somehow even made the poor little 10 year old victims stupid. Two children have been kidnapped and ki
Vanessa
May 16, 2010 Vanessa rated it it was ok
"A perfect Evil" started out really good but tetered out pretty fast. Overall it was okay, but it's still nowhere near a very good thriller.

The story is pretty predictable --- even though there are several suspects thrown in throughout the story I daresay that anyone with half a brain will know after just a few chapters who the killer is.

The characters are okay (nothing special, though). One thing that I found kinda strange is that even though the book is called "A Perfect Evil - A Maggie O'Dell
Robin
Jan 08, 2016 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, 2016
When a Death Row inmate awaiting execution confesses that he didn't kill two of the three boys he was convicted of murdering, Father Francis was not surprised. He had already heard the confession of the other killer.

A few months later, a young boy disappears. Sheriff Nick Morrelli knows he and his deputies are not prepared for the situation and when the boy's body is found and another child disappears, he contacts FBI Criminal Profiler Maggie O'Dell to put together a picture of the killer.

This
Diane
Jul 22, 2013 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely, truly enjoyed this book. Captivating, twists and twisted, difficult subject matter, very well written, really likeable characters, and a cliff hanger to boot!

Alex Kava knows how to write a book and keep your attention - the killer wasn't always that obvious, she makes you think and second guess yourself - love it!

A bit of romance, just enough and not over done - like that about this book. I don't need graphic sex in my reading - that is what your imagination is for if it is that much
Elvan
Nov 05, 2013 Elvan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love a book that keeps me up late reading and gets me out of bed early to grab just a few more pages before I start my day. Kava has done a stellar job building characters and settings and her Maggie O'Dell is my kind of strong if tortured protagonist.

I liked the fast pace of this thriller. If the sign of a great book is that you feel like you are scrambling along a cold muddy river bank running and hiding for your life along side the victims and hunters then this is a great book. There are th
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
I've just discoved the show "Criminal Minds" and it's become one of my very favorites. So when I picked up this book featuring Maggie O'Dell and she is a criminal profiler for the FBI I just jumped for joy.
CD {Boulder Blvd}
3.5 Stars rounded up...

I liked this book and the author's writing style. I liked the potential of the Maggie O'Dell character. Maggie has come face to face with a brutal serial killer and the experience has left its scars both physically and emotionally. Now she is in the small town of Platte City, NE helping an inexperienced sheriff by profiling a kidnapper/killer of little boys. Maggie becomes more wrapped up in the case than just a profiler as another little boy has been kidnapped and killed
Muthulakshmi
Dec 27, 2013 Muthulakshmi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nobody
Recommended to Muthulakshmi by: Nobody
I finished 5 chapters. Then I said profane things for a while because I am disappointed that yet another book with good reviews, turned out to be such a cop out. Where do I even begin?

Oh yes, the beginning. There we are, getting introduced to a man who raped and killed a little boy and is about to be put to death. Kids, do you know what time it is??

It is confession to Jesus time!!

Dialogue(he strangled the boy): "I waited until he was dead before I cut him. He didn't feel a thing"

Dead people
Sharon L
Jan 11, 2013 Sharon L rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
on the one hand, this book had kept me on the edge of my seat while reading it. and O'delle was great- with her fears, her problems, her past and her professionalism.

then, what's the problem? i didn't take me long to realize who the murderer is. and i took me a long time to finish that book. it was(!) a good book, but at some point i felt like the end wasn't going to come. because it dragged.

i'll be the first to admit, when deciding whether i love a book or not it is a question of:
1. the char
Michelle Maas
Ugh, I quit at page 127. By then Kava has given away the murderer's identity, his motive, his next victim, the love interest. The next 200 pages would reveal how the good guys finally (if ever) catch the bad guy, along with, I assume, more detailed descriptions of child sexual assault, misogynist torture, bludgeonings, drugging, strangling, stabbings, desecrations of corpses. Not my idea of a relaxing summer night's read. I wanted to read it because it was a writer setting her action in Nebraska ...more
D.B. Reynolds
Aug 01, 2012 D.B. Reynolds rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first book in the Maggie O'Dell series of romantic suspense ... although there really isn't much romance. I've read the first four books in the series, and so far Maggie has met, been attracted to, and deflected at least two very handsome and charming men. I like these books because the suspense is quite well done, and the mysteries are intriguing. Maggie's self-destructive behavior in the first three books was less attractive, but, aside from her serious issues with personal relationships, ...more
Black Butterfly
Apr 09, 2013 Black Butterfly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ADULTS
Recommended to Black Butterfly by: AMAZON
I THOUGHT THIS BOOK WOULD BE GOOD, BOY WAS I WRONG. THE LAW ENFORCMENT COMMUNITY SHOULD BE OUTRAGED THEY WERE DEPICTED AS BUFFOONS OR KEYSTONE COPS. I KNEW WHO THE KILLER WAS BY 15% OF THE BOOK BUT THE COPS SURE DIDN'T. THE BOOK DRAGGED ON AND ON I WANTED TO STOP READING BEFORE 45% BUT I CONTINUED TO STRUGGLE TRYING TO COMPLETE IT. THIS BOOK IS A SERIES SO WHEN I GOT TO THE END I GOT CLIFF-HUNG. I WILL NOT BE READING ANYMORE IN THIS SERIES, DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT ANYMOE STUPID COPS OR ALMOST R ...more
Timaz
Jan 06, 2017 Timaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This review has 2 parts: English and Türkçe:

English:
this is my first book of Alex Kava. I cannot say it was full of mystery, twists and turns, but I felt this criminal story which was about abduction and abuse, from within. this kind of stories makes you feel everything all together; you may thrilled, got excited and worried at the same time. in total, I enjoyed the book and the story, specially the end of it, that was not actually an end!
one irritating thing that I can mention is the feelings
Wendy
Dec 18, 2013 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: apr-15
Loved it!
Ingo
May 13, 2017 Ingo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not very suspenseful, even if some reviews say otherwise.
Nice romance, but way too much, and no real sex scenes.
Ending saved it somehow, as I really liked the cliffhanger ending leading into the next book. Also not everything is solved with history repeating itself, not to spoil anything I will tell no more.
What disturbed my reading-flow most, was the POV changing a lot, with POV from 5 or more different persons. The Killer could have been more fleshed out.
But also, despite the solid 3 stars (wi
Netta
Jan 02, 2017 Netta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
ספר מתח קצבי ומעניין. היה יכול להיות מעולה לולא נחשפה זהות הרוצח בפני הקוראים כבר בתחילת הספר.
William
Feb 17, 2017 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sharon
(3.5 stars). I thought it was a bit long. I thought that the character of Nick was written as incompetent. And as though he didn't have a clue how to do his job. I realize that this is a small town with only minor crimes. It's just that I really liked the character and wanted him to be portrayed as though he, at least, had an idea of how to do his job. The investigation was written in a sloppy way. Kind of all over the place. It didn't seem like they followed the clues or one clue led to another ...more
Johnsergeant
Narrated by Richard Rowan

10 hrs and 45 mins

Some of the story felt like a Harlequin romance book. It was ok, but the writing was disappointing.

Publisher's Summary

Gea
Dec 31, 2013 Gea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Een hele spannende thriller. Echt wel leuk alleen wel een beetje bouquet reeks achtig, zo nu en dan, wat ik weer niet zo heel erg leuk vind. Gelukkig was dat maar minimaal dus daar heb ik maar zo’n beetje overheen gelezen.
Sheila
May 14, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow I loved this book. I am now a die hard Alex Kava fan after only reading the first in the Maggie O'Dell series.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 15 17 Mar 13, 2016 10:54AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question P 17 15 Mar 12, 2016 09:10PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question O 17 16 Mar 12, 2016 09:04PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question M 12 14 Mar 12, 2016 08:45PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question L 9 14 Mar 12, 2016 08:38PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 12 15 Mar 12, 2016 08:14PM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 16 15 Mar 12, 2016 08:07PM
  • Bone Cold (The Malones, #1)
  • 14 (Taylor Jackson, #2)
  • The Dirty Secrets Club (Jo Beckett #1)
  • The Prey (Predator Trilogy, #1)
  • Edge of Midnight (Chasing Evil, #3)
  • Final Jeopardy (Alexandra Cooper, #1)
  • The Missing (Darby McCormick #1)
  • Twisted
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
  • Hot Blooded (New Orleans #1)
  • Shadow Man (Smoky Barrett, #1)
ALEX KAVA IS A NEW YORK TIMES BEST-SELLING AUTHOR of the critically acclaimed Maggie O’Dell series and a new series featuring former Marine, Ryder Creed and his K9 dogs. Her stand-alone novel, One False Move, was the 2006 One Book One Nebraska. Published in over thirty countries, Kava’s novels have made the bestseller lists in the UK, Australia, Germany, Japan, Italy and Poland. Her novel Stranded ...more
More about Alex Kava...

Maggie O'Dell (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Split Second (Maggie O'Dell, #2)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • At the Stroke of Madness (Maggie O'Dell, #4)
  • A Necessary Evil (Maggie O'Dell #5)
  • Exposed (Maggie O'Dell, #6)
  • Black Friday (Maggie O'Dell, #7)
  • Damaged (Maggie O'Dell, #8)
  • Hotwire (Maggie O'Dell, #9)
  • Fireproof (Maggie O'Dell, #10)
  • Stranded (Maggie O'Dell, #11)