The Love of My Life

The Love of My Life

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  1,954 ratings  ·  232 reviews
'I miss him with every breath and heartbeat. He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story.'

Olivia and Luca Felicone had known each other nearly all their lives, but when they fell in love as teenagers and eloped to London they broke the hearts of those closest to them. Luca's parents run Marinella's restaurant, the colourful hub of life...more
Published by MacMillan (first published 2008)

Tea Jovanović
Nemojte da vas naslov zavede... Nije u pitanju sladunjava limunadica... Lepa ljubavna priča... i komplikovana... :)
Anne
I read this over the weekend and loved every page of it - it's certainly up there in this year's favourite books. I'm not usually a 'soppy romantic read' kind of girl but this is so much more than a love story - it's beautifully written and the characters are flawed but believeable and likeable.

There were certain phrases relating the Liv and Luca's relationship and romance that really struck a chord with me and there were times that I was so deeply moved by parts of the story that I had to put t...more
Lauren
I really identified with this book. I didn't know what to expect, but it blew me away. The story is about a young woman who has lost her husband, who was Italian with a big family with traditional values and how they treated her during her childhood and after their son had died. This book is SO realistic about how families like this one, believe outsiders are to blame for everything bad that happens, and how they just cannot accept her as one of their own, I related an awful lot as this was how...more
Lily
After finishing rereading The Love Of My Life, I was left feeling immensely conflicted, and I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about this book. I guess I should start from the very beginning.

I was about fifteen or sixteen when I read The Love Of My Life for the first time. Back then, I was in the habit of borrowing horribly cheesy and clichéd romance novels that had me choke and my stomach churn at its corniness, but I read them anyway, because they were the only kind of English literature my...more
Kari
1. I really wish this was not only in an e-reader format, but sold in bookstores in America. I had to get this imported from the U.K.
2. I put a lot of quotes into this review to give you a sample of the writing and direction this book went in. I did my best to pick quotes that were meaningful to the story but did NOT spoil the hidden surprises.
3. To me spoilers are subject to one’s own opinion, what may entice and intrigue some into learning more may ruin the story for others. I have not reveale...more
KJ
Just horrible! That there is actually a market for this kind of bilge is incredibly depressing!

There was even a lovely continuity error. On page 206 our "heroine" describes her room in a B&B establishment and makes a point of stating that there was no TV in the room. Yet on page 227 she's settling down on her bed for an evening of watching TV!

Apart from this the characters are wooden and the narrator is an immature bitch who seems to measure her success in the world by her success with men a...more
Leah
I’ve been wanting to read one of Louise Douglas’ books for quite a while now. I got a copy of Missing You back when it first came out, but it’s not appealed to me as of yet. I then picked up The Love of my Life at a charity shop a little while ago and because I was looking for a fairly shortish read, I plumped for it one day. I’ve heard many great things about the book, but it has to be said, I wasn’t entirely enamoured with the book.

The central premise of the book is the affair that occurs betw...more
Laurenx
I really enjoyed this book, it was about a woman whose husband had died in a carcrash and it starts off with the family attending the funeral. From early on you begin to learn that 'Liv' is not a welcomed member of the family, and as the book progresses it explains why. The book runs in a very nice way and each chapter alernates between the present and the past, and as the past chapters progress the stoy begins to tie together. The chapter set in the past tell how she met her husband and it came...more
Nic
I liked this more than I thought I would. It was an Amazon cheapy (under £1) so I thought I'd give it a go.

Olivia turns up at her sister's house in tears after leaving her in-laws' restaurant. Lynette, her ever faithful older sister, tucks her in to bed and asks no questions. Later, she gives Liv a laptop and suggests that she right it all down, and this is the novel.

We are presented with two timelines - the teenage Liv and the development of her romance with the gorgeous Luca, and the adult Liv...more
Chloe
Olivia Felicone has just been made a widow after her husband Luca died in a car accident.

Luca was the love of Olivia’s life, and she’s not sure how she can go on without him. She isn’t close to the Felicone family, but begins an affair with Luca’s twin brother Marc behind everyone’s backs, as it makes them both feel closer to Luca.

But is it really the best thing for both of them?

When I read the plot of the book, I thought it sounded very interesting, and I was intrigued to see how the author was...more
Hrvoje
Baš je slaka :)
" On je u svakom dahu i otkucaju srca "
Zemira Warner
A nice love story. Very touching.
Jeanette
Read this book on holdiay - thought it would just be a quick beach read - and to be fair, I did get through it pretty quickly.... because I couldnt put it down. Douglas uses an easy flowing style to get the reader very quickly interested. It starts with her walking out on her old life after the death of her husband - the rest of the book switches from the 'now' and the 'then' - telling the story of her life within a close knit coastal community and an even closer knit Italian family.

It could be...more
Melanie

I didn't like this book at all! I didn't find it moving in the slightest, in fact I didn't even like Olivia least of all feel empathy for her. She only seemed to care about her own selfish needs and this propensity was displayed in all three of her affairs described in the book.

I found the plot jolted alarmingly its pace and structure. There were times when the characters behaved incongruously which made it hard to believe in them.

This was just a badly-written sickening mix of forbidden love,...more
Rebekah
I struggled with this book. I wanted to find this a gripping emotional read, as several reviews I read suggested it was, but it was hit and miss. I think there was a lot of potential for it to be a good book, but it's hard to enjoy a book when you dislike the main character. I felt sympathy for her, but she was not a particularly nice person and she seemed to not feel at all bad for the way she behaved. The ending was a bit rubbish too, all the way through its leading up to a big show down, and...more
Nell  (andnellwrites)
Synopsis: After the sudden death of husband Luca, Olivia [Liv] finds herself bereft of her companion in life. Spurned by their families for the embarrassment and emotional ramifications of their ill advised union and subsequent elopement, Liv makes the gut wrenching decision to relocate back to where she and Luca first met. The Love of My Life is set to the picturesque beach front town of Watersford, home to Marinella's, the family restaurant and backdrop to Liv and Luca's early life, both toget...more
Melissa
I read this is one day. Well, technically two since I stayed up until 1 in the morning to finish. It is extremely well written with interesting and believable characters. It is not overly sentimental or soppy. So many books about losing a spouse just get bogged down with emotion. This is a woman who has made mistakes, quite a few actually, but manages to learn to live with herself. I absolutely loved it but I don't have the ability in my writing to convey just what a gem it is.
Blair
Jun 28, 2012 Blair marked it as unsuccessful-attempt
Thought I'd give this a go after unexpectedly enjoying The Secrets Between Us by the same author. Unfortunately, it seemed to be about as good as I'd have expected with a title like that. Very awkward and stilted writing style and the plot (from what I could make out) was almost unbearably mawkish. Not my cup of tea.
Librarian Lavender
The love of my life is a book about loss. Olivia has suffered the very painful loss of her beloved husband. Because his family wants to have him buried close to home and she misses him too much she moves to where Luca's grave is. Things aren't going well and Olivia's grief leads to destructive behavior. She's back at the place where she grew up, but she isn't welcome there.
Luca's family is cruel to Olivia and even after losing someone so dear to them they still can't behave normally towards her....more
Claire Dobson

A tale full of bitterness, slyness and selfishness. Not one character was really likeable - all out for themselves with no thought for anyone else.
Olivia was a product of her mother's hate for her father, always compared unfavourably with her older sister leading to low self esteem. What a mess she made of her life! And don't get me started on Luca and his back stabbing obnoxious family!
Chiz
Apr 06, 2014 Chiz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Chiz by: Elspeth
The love of my life is really a novel about grief. I have experienced multiple sighs and had to take a moment of deep breath because it was real and I felt the feelings of Olivia immensely at one part. There are many characters discussed in parallel to Olivia's grief.

Olivia, the main character of the book was someone of courage and very real. Although I would not say I liked her personality totally, I could identify with some beliefs which she held that were really radical.

I also appreciate that...more
Hella
Have you ever found a main character that piss you off (sorry!) ? One that is more and more unbearable while the pages go on? There you are, this is exactly what Olivia is for me. I can't stand her and I hate the fact that I love the name "Olivia". Fortunately, she is called Liz in the book...
I don't want to look like Liz's mother but if I was her I would give her slaps. From the first page she admits that her ace in the hole is the fact that men really likes her, but she goes too far! Married m...more
Mandy

I don't know what made me to choose this book, but it was such a powerful read! Louise Douglas's writing was pretty much flawless, I got angry when 'liv' did, got swept up in her emotions and fought back tears at the many sad moments. how she describes everything was so clear and well written that I could picture everything, even down to her metaphorical black dog of grief, I was totally absorbed in this book from the first page and could not put it down until it was finished. she made...more
Tina
Aug 16, 2012 Tina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kindle
I am starting to worry about myself, this is so not my usual type of book, or so I keep saying, but it is a love story with a couple of twists and turns. I loved it though. I didn't tax my brain too much, but from the very beginning I cared, I was interested and I kept turning those pages. Great story, strong characters, good read.
Liza
this story is just so unbelievably sad :( ...i cry when i read it.
it's really a beautiful story about love.. but still i don't like reading this kind of stories because i'm so sad after reading it and i can't stop thinking why it must be like that..but i won't say like what because if you want to know you must read it yourself :)
Amanda
Apr 17, 2014 Amanda rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
The story begins at the funeral of Olivia's husband Luca, the eponymous Love of her life. It continues in alternating chapters between the past (how they met etc, and the present, how Olivia deals with her grief and handles her husbands family who hate her. It's an interesting look at grief ,love,and recovery.
It was a perfect vacation read. Once I got past the first three chapters or so I couldn't put it down and finished it in less than a day. Which is pretty good considering the way...more
Terri
I paid $15 + shipping to have this book shipped from UK!(and it's a paperback!) I wanted to check out a contempary British novel and the literary style. I'm glad I did because aside from the british jargon, I think overall, this book was pretty fun to read. Not too bad....
Hazel
I read this very quickly. To begin this I really disliked all the characters and found them annoying. But by the end, despite not liking them I really enjoyed the story and really felt for them.
Emma Harris
Lovely story, felt really sorry for Liv with her in laws not accepting her, and the awful thing they did at the end too was sad.
Agnes Stewart
A very enjoyable easy read which made me cry!
A bit of this and...: Feb/March 2014 The Love of My Life 7 6 Jan 08, 2014 05:45AM
is it just me 5 37 Nov 11, 2013 04:39AM
  • All That Mullarkey
  • The Long Weekend
  • Yours Truly
  • You Had Me At Hello
I've always loved reading and writing and all I ever wanted to be was an author. I've had four books published now, the fifth is written and is due to be published in August 2013 and I'm working on the sixth. I live with Kevin in the Mendips, not far from Bristol, a city that I love, and have three beautiful sons. We also have two dogs, Lil and Lola. The Love of My Life is my first book. It was lo...more
More about Louise Douglas...
The Secrets Between Us Missing You In Her Shadow Your Beautiful Lies