Start by marking “The Love of My Life” as Want to Read:
The Love of My Life

The Love of My Life

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,437 Ratings  ·  290 Reviews
‘I miss him with every breath and heartbeat. He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story.’

When Olivia and Luca fell in love as teenagers and eloped to London, they broke the hearts of those closest to them. Luca’s parents run Marinella’s restaurant, the colourful hub of life in an otherwise bleak seaside town, and his mother, Angela
Published March 6th 2015 by Bookouture (first published January 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Love of My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love of My Life

Tea Jovanović
Nemojte da vas naslov zavede... Nije u pitanju sladunjava limunadica... Lepa ljubavna priča... i komplikovana... :)
Ashton Gibbs ♥ BB&B

The Love of My Life - Louise Douglas
Beauty, Books and Babble

★★★★✩

I would like start by saying thank you to Bookouture for sending me a copy of this via NetGalley. It's a wonderful story and I gave it 4 heartstring-tugging stars.

"He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story."

When Liv was a teenager, she never fit in with her family, nor did she fit in with the Felicone family. After falling in love with Luca Felicone, Liv took the giant step of eloping to
Lily
After finishing rereading The Love Of My Life, I was left feeling immensely conflicted, and I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about this book. I guess I should start from the very beginning.

I was about fifteen or sixteen when I read The Love Of My Life for the first time. Back then, I was in the habit of borrowing horribly cheesy and clichéd romance novels that had me choke and my stomach churn at its corniness, but I read them anyway, because they were the only kind of English literature my
Anne
Nov 20, 2009 Anne rated it it was amazing
I read this over the weekend and loved every page of it - it's certainly up there in this year's favourite books. I'm not usually a 'soppy romantic read' kind of girl but this is so much more than a love story - it's beautifully written and the characters are flawed but believeable and likeable.

There were certain phrases relating the Liv and Luca's relationship and romance that really struck a chord with me and there were times that I was so deeply moved by parts of the story that I had to put t
Leah
I've been wanting to read one of Louise Douglas' books for quite a while now. I got a copy of Missing You back when it first came out, but it's not appealed to me as of yet. I then picked up The Love of my Life at a charity shop a little while ago and because I was looking for a fairly shortish read, I plumped for it one day. I've heard many great things about the book, but it has to be said, I wasn't entirely enamored with the book.

The central premise of the book is the affair that occurs betwe
Lauren
Oct 08, 2012 Lauren rated it really liked it
I really identified with this book. I didn't know what to expect, but it blew me away. The story is about a young woman who has lost her husband, who was Italian with a big family with traditional values and how they treated her during her childhood and after their son had died. This book is SO realistic about how families like this one, believe outsiders are to blame for everything bad that happens, and how they just cannot accept her as one of their own, I related an awful lot as this was how ...more
KJ
Nov 20, 2009 KJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Just horrible! That there is actually a market for this kind of bilge is incredibly depressing!

There was even a lovely continuity error. On page 206 our "heroine" describes her room in a B&B establishment and makes a point of stating that there was no TV in the room. Yet on page 227 she's settling down on her bed for an evening of watching TV!

Apart from this the characters are wooden and the narrator is an immature bitch who seems to measure her success in the world by her success with men a
Kari
1. I really wish this was not only in an e-reader format, but sold in bookstores in America. I had to get this imported from the U.K.
2. I put a lot of quotes into this review to give you a sample of the writing and direction this book went in. I did my best to pick quotes that were meaningful to the story but did NOT spoil the hidden surprises.
3. To me spoilers are subject to one’s own opinion, what may entice and intrigue some into learning more may ruin the story for others. I have not reveale
NicoleHasRead
Jul 30, 2012 NicoleHasRead rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this more than I thought I would. It was an Amazon cheapy (under £1) so I thought I'd give it a go.

Olivia turns up at her sister's house in tears after leaving her in-laws' restaurant. Lynette, her ever faithful older sister, tucks her in to bed and asks no questions. Later, she gives Liv a laptop and suggests that she right it all down, and this is the novel.

We are presented with two timelines - the teenage Liv and the development of her romance with the gorgeous Luca, and the adult Liv
Chloe
Dec 04, 2009 Chloe rated it it was amazing
Olivia Felicone has just been made a widow after her husband Luca died in a car accident.

Luca was the love of Olivia’s life, and she’s not sure how she can go on without him. She isn’t close to the Felicone family, but begins an affair with Luca’s twin brother Marc behind everyone’s backs, as it makes them both feel closer to Luca.

But is it really the best thing for both of them?

When I read the plot of the book, I thought it sounded very interesting, and I was intrigued to see how the author was
*P
Feb 11, 2015 *P rated it liked it
This book had an interesting premise so I figured I would give it a shot. For those that have issues with cheating or love triangle type stories, just don't bother. Typically I don't have a problem with those stories but this one just didn't sit right with me. At the beginning of the story we meet Olivia, a young woman who has just lost her husband and now has to face his family for the funeral. Despite spending their married years together in London, Liv is having Luca buried back in his home t ...more
Lauren
Oct 24, 2012 Lauren rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book, it was about a woman whose husband had died in a carcrash and it starts off with the family attending the funeral. From early on you begin to learn that 'Liv' is not a welcomed member of the family, and as the book progresses it explains why. The book runs in a very nice way and each chapter alernates between the present and the past, and as the past chapters progress the stoy begins to tie together. The chapter set in the past tell how she met her husband and it came ...more
Melissa
Sep 21, 2012 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I read this is one day. Well, technically two since I stayed up until 1 in the morning to finish. It is extremely well written with interesting and believable characters. It is not overly sentimental or soppy. So many books about losing a spouse just get bogged down with emotion. This is a woman who has made mistakes, quite a few actually, but manages to learn to live with herself. I absolutely loved it but I don't have the ability in my writing to convey just what a gem it is.
Hrvoje
Aug 07, 2011 Hrvoje rated it really liked it
Baš je slaka :)
" On je u svakom dahu i otkucaju srca "
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
A nice love story. Very touching.
Heather Anderson
Nov 07, 2015 Heather Anderson rated it really liked it
Review originally published here http://twincreatives.com/2015/11/07/b...

I picked this book up in the Great Oak Bookshop in Llanidloes whilst I was holidaying in Wales. It sells a large selection of both new and second hand books, and The Love of My Life is one of six books I picked up that day.

I was drawn to the book at first by the cover, and the deal was clinched by the blurb. I am a huge fan of women’s fiction, and the beautiful pink and purple sunset and blatantly in-love couple that adorne
Loretta Milan
Mar 12, 2015 Loretta Milan rated it really liked it
Olivia and Luca, who grew up together, fall in love and elope to London, breaking the hearts of those closest to them. But Luca dies in a car crash and their happy ending becomes the sad beginning of The Love of my Life by Louise Douglas.

Missing Luca with “every breath and heartbeat”, Olivia returns to their hometown to be close to his grave but has to face the resentment of his family who blame her solely for causing a rift. She seeks solace in Luca’s married twin brother, Mark, who seems to be
Jeanette
Aug 19, 2012 Jeanette rated it it was amazing
Read this book on holdiay - thought it would just be a quick beach read - and to be fair, I did get through it pretty quickly.... because I couldnt put it down. Douglas uses an easy flowing style to get the reader very quickly interested. It starts with her walking out on her old life after the death of her husband - the rest of the book switches from the 'now' and the 'then' - telling the story of her life within a close knit coastal community and an even closer knit Italian family.

It could be
Elizabeth
Dec 22, 2013 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, netgalley
First, thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the opportunity to read and review this book.

I must say that I had a really hard time reading most of this book. It had some grammatical errors that I found annoying and I found Olivia to not be very likable. The story got old in a hurry and Olivia seemed like a whiner during the first 3/4 of the novel. However, I made it through all that angst and, at the end, the bad disappeared and I truly enjoyed it! Would I read it again? No. But I'd be willi
Rebekah
Mar 28, 2013 Rebekah rated it it was ok
I struggled with this book. I wanted to find this a gripping emotional read, as several reviews I read suggested it was, but it was hit and miss. I think there was a lot of potential for it to be a good book, but it's hard to enjoy a book when you dislike the main character. I felt sympathy for her, but she was not a particularly nice person and she seemed to not feel at all bad for the way she behaved. The ending was a bit rubbish too, all the way through its leading up to a big show down, and ...more
Mel Caldicott
Sep 22, 2012 Mel Caldicott rated it did not like it

I didn't like this book at all! I didn't find it moving in the slightest, in fact I didn't even like Olivia least of all feel empathy for her. She only seemed to care about her own selfish needs and this propensity was displayed in all three of her affairs described in the book.

I found the plot jolted alarmingly its pace and structure. There were times when the characters behaved incongruously which made it hard to believe in them.

This was just a badly-written sickening mix of forbidden love,
Claire Dobson
Aug 18, 2012 Claire Dobson rated it it was ok

A tale full of bitterness, slyness and selfishness. Not one character was really likeable - all out for themselves with no thought for anyone else.
Olivia was a product of her mother's hate for her father, always compared unfavourably with her older sister leading to low self esteem. What a mess she made of her life! And don't get me started on Luca and his back stabbing obnoxious family!
Blair
Jun 26, 2012 Blair marked it as attempted
Thought I'd give this a go after unexpectedly enjoying The Secrets Between Us by the same author. Unfortunately, it seemed to be about as good as I'd have expected with a title like that. Very awkward and stilted writing style and the plot (from what I could make out) was almost unbearably mawkish. Not my cup of tea.
Antoinette Martin
Jan 29, 2014 Antoinette Martin rated it it was ok
Liz
Jan 16, 2015 Liz rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and couldn't help quite liking Olivia despite the poor choices she made. I was surprised, considering the title, that there was not more focus on the relationship between Olivia and Luca. I thought the characters were well developed and believable and the flowing style of prose made this an easy read.
Elle Cunningham
Apr 02, 2016 Elle Cunningham rated it it was amazing
An easy yet incredibly enjoyable read. Overall 4.5/5, but I'll say 5 stars for easiness sakes. I read this in a day and found it interesting, compelling while also just a simple holiday page turner. I felt very sorry for Olivia, while I can see her many flaws I also felt she was a likable and interesting character. Overall, nothing too challenging but still gripping.
Saturday's Child
Aug 22, 2011 Saturday's Child rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel was not at all what I expected. Each page made me feel like I was getting to know Olivia well and I just had to keep reading to find out what happened to her next. I liked the way each chapter went from the present to the past to give the reader a better understanding of the characters.
Liza
May 01, 2010 Liza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this story is just so unbelievably sad :( ...i cry when i read it.
it's really a beautiful story about love.. but still i don't like reading this kind of stories because i'm so sad after reading it and i can't stop thinking why it must be like that..but i won't say like what because if you want to know you must read it yourself :)
Tina
Aug 15, 2012 Tina rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I am starting to worry about myself, this is so not my usual type of book, or so I keep saying, but it is a love story with a couple of twists and turns. I loved it though. I didn't tax my brain too much, but from the very beginning I cared, I was interested and I kept turning those pages. Great story, strong characters, good read.
Terri
Apr 06, 2009 Terri rated it really liked it
I paid $15 + shipping to have this book shipped from UK!(and it's a paperback!) I wanted to check out a contempary British novel and the literary style. I'm glad I did because aside from the british jargon, I think overall, this book was pretty fun to read. Not too bad....
A bit of this and...: Feb/March 2014 The Love of My Life 7 8 Jan 08, 2014 05:45AM
is it just me 4 47 Nov 11, 2013 04:39AM
is it just me 1 13 May 15, 2013 12:29PM
is it just me 1 7 May 15, 2013 12:29PM
  • Monday to Friday Man
  • Watch Over Me
  • This Thirtysomething Life
  • Thursdays in the Park
  • What Have I Done? (No Greater Love #2)
  • From the Heart
  • Last Christmas
  • Secrets
  • One Glass Is Never Enough
  • Madame Mirabou's School of Love
I've always loved reading and writing and all I ever wanted to be was an author. I've had four books published now, the fifth is written and is due to be published in August 2013 and I'm working on the sixth. I live with Kevin in the Mendips, not far from Bristol, a city that I love, and have three beautiful sons. We also have two dogs, Lil and Lola. The Love of My Life is my first book. It was lo ...more
More about Louise Douglas...