Start by marking “The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories” as Want to Read:
The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories

The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  20 reviews
This collection of thirty-three stories shows the scope, vigour, and enduring fascination of the detective story, as well as indicating its importance as a barometer of social attitudes and literary practices. It gathers together a wide range of stories, many unfamiliar, by writers including Julian Symons, Michael Gilbert, P.D. James, and Ruth Rendell, which are among the ...more
Published August 6th 1992 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Oxford Book of English Detective Stories

Rachel Lundwall
This is an excellent collection of British mysteries, mostly because its thoroughness in covering a time period starting with the Victorian era and ending somewhere in the late 20th century (1980s?). I particularly enjoyed being able to observe for myself the evolution of style and subject matter as time progressed. The editor selected wonderful stories from an astonishing range of authors. It was nice to read a collection that wasn't a repetition of other collections I've read, and this book wi ...more
Gail
A representative collection of just what the title says. Some stories are great, others not so much. Choice, however, is a matter of taste, and the introductory material and many, many good stories make this worth the read.
Eliot
The best anthology of its kind, showing even more consistently good taste than Ellery Queen in their big Modern Library anthology. Those anthology staples "The Avenging Chance," "The Witness for the Prosecution," "The House in Goblin Wood," "Silver Blaze," and "Solved by Inspection" are all justifiably here to anchor the collection, while the less familiar selections generally testify to Craig's wide reading in the genre and excellent taste.

Some quibbles of course. Crime stories of the "biter is
J.
...At this second knock, he heard a shuffling sound inside, and presently the door was opened cautiously half an inch and a bent figure peered out...

We begin in the quirky, primitive age of steam and sea-travel, where code and convention are chiseled in granite foundations. But gaslight and fog obscure the clarity of gentlemanly resolve, and the raving madman emerges, even at the heights of Victoriana. Dickens, Poe and Wilkie Collins set their fictions within the exaggerated social extremes of
Dolly
May 06, 2013 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of detective stories
I love mysteries, so what's better on a cold, rainy day than a warm fire, a purring cat, and a book of detective stories?

Featuring authors like Arthur Conan Doyle, G.K. Chesterton, Dorothy L. Sayers, Agatha Christie, P.D. James, Reginald Hill, and many others I am not familiar with, I was pleased with this collection.

It took me a lot longer to finish this book than I expected it would, but our holiday travels, and the lure to read other books interrupted my progress. It's a long book and I fou
Wayne
Jan 20, 2014 Wayne is currently reading it
Just to feel the solid shape and weight of this Feast in one's hand;
to foresee oneself snuggled up in a comfy lounge chair with only a cone of lamp light for illumination accompanied by the supportive mug of steamy coffee which will very probably get cold; and preferably 'bad' rainy windy weather rubbing its nose up against the windowpane
...well, BLISS is the only word that will suffice !!!!

I may start dipping into this on this bleak but humid rainless afternoon
in Sydney which is nowhere near th
Heather
I'll be sorry to give this one back to the library. A good source of new authors to try. Although I found myself enjoying a story and looking to see who wrote it only to find the author was someone I already read.
Katie
Not a remarkable selection. But there were some great stories here.
Michele bookloverforever
collection of English mysteries by various famous authors in a short story format....
John
A big collection of good British detectives focused on the 20th century. Not too many early works here. The only work that seem to be contemporary with Doyle is the first piece, "The Stir Outside the Cafe Royal" by Clarence Rook. Everything else is from the 1920s on. Great collection for the casual reader, but not for the academic.
Esther
A great selection and introduction (for me) to the genre. Lots of excellent short stories from the Victorian era and early 20th century, with gentlemenly murders involving poisoned umbrellas and antique envelope openers and more modern tales - Ruth Rendell especially needs further investigation (..groan..)
Gina Dalfonzo
Good collection on the whole, though the failure to include a Peter Wimsey story is a grievous error (and the inclusion of a cheap and annoying Wimsey knockoff called Reggie Fortune is adding insult to injury).
Eric Knibbs
A fine, representative collection. It is necessarily limited to short stories, though, and the English detective fiction genre has done far better with novels (Arthur Conan Doyle being an exception).
Jeremiah Genest
Including stories by Arthur Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, G.K. Chesterton, Dorothy Sayers, Margery Allingham, P.D. James, and many more this serves as a good introduction to British mystery writing.
Lena
Οι καλυτερες ηταν
G K Chesterton Ο χρησμος του σκυλου
Arthur Conan Doyle Ο ασημενιος πυρσος
Antony Berkley Η εκδικηση του τυχαιου
Apostolos
Όπως σε κάθε συλλογή, υπάρχουν κι εδώ και καλογραμμένες και κακογραμμένες ιστορίες. Σε γενικές γραμμές, μου άρεσε ο πρώτος τόμος.
Will
Interesting book both for the scope of the stories, and their overall quality, which was high. Fun to read.
Cindy
Apr 19, 2008 Cindy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Much preferred the older, 'classic' detective stories. A fun collection, some I hadn't read before.
Kirei
Feb 25, 2008 Kirei rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teens and adults
Shelves: teens-and-adults
I liked some stories. Other stories I skipped.
Vega
Best compilation of mystery short stories ever.
Kruthi B
Kruthi B marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Prajwal Shukla
Prajwal Shukla marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2014
Monika
Monika marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Amita Mishra
Amita Mishra marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Nevermore
Nevermore marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Oxford Book of Modern Women's Stories The Oxford Book of Detective Stories Twelve Irish Ghost Stories The Penguin Book of British Comic Stories: An Anthology Humorous Stories from Kipling Wodehouse Beryl Bainbridge Julian Bar Brian Moore