Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs

Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  111 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Every knitter will adore these timeless, fashionable, and extremely wearable hats, all photographed on models in a chic urban setting. Most of the projects involve knitting in the round, so a thorough overview explains the technique, as well as basic hat forms, choosing a yarn, and accessible techniques such as felting. Try a shaped ribbon yarn hat with equally decorative...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Hip Knit Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hip Knit Hats

This book makes me want to ask everyone I know if they have a large or medium head. There are so many hats I want to make. Everyone is getting a hat for their birthday and Christmas this year.
Kel
Great hat patterns! I loved this book. :)
Nov 28, 2008 Jennifer added it
Shelves: knitting
I made the hat that's shown on the cover in black and brown. Good thing I have some experience and some knitter's common sense, as there was an error in the instructions that I managed to bypass. I love the hat and would consider making more from this book, even more hats of the same pattern in different colors, except that my cup runneth over with knitting patterns I want to try. Ideally all at the same time, and right now - but if I do come back to Hip Knit Hats, I'll take another look at "Cle...more
Oct 03, 2008 Jennifer rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: advanced beginner knitters
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
I have used two patterns in this book to make 4 different hats and I really like the patterns. The hats are knit from the top down which was new to me and I really liked making the hats that way. The other great thing about the book is that many of the patterns give you directions for the same hat in a different yarn weights. I LOVE THAT!

I lucked out and by chance bought the 5th edition of this book where a lot of the errata is corrected. If you get printings 1-4 you will want to go print out th...more
Snorkle
This book was cool. I thought that they took a simple thing such as a hat and made it into something spectacular. I flagged 12 patterns in this book that I might want to knit someday. That is a lot, especially since I am pretty particular about what patterns I want to knit. I really liked this book. The layout was very inviting and friendly. I would recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Polly
I don't know that I'd call most of these hip, but there are some pretty nice hats, although also a fair number of ho-hums (dull) and oh-dears (completely lacking in taste). I knit the black and brown one on the cover, and it was lovely, but it seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth!
Misty
This is my favorite knitting book. Very simple patterns for a confident beginner. A nice selection of styles and techniques. Only caveat...If you have an early edition, look up the errata online.
Marilee
Sep 29, 2008 Marilee rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: knitters who like funky hats
The hats in this book are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I made one that has a drawstring i-cord at the top. It was easy and fun to knit and there are a bunch of other hats in the book that I want to make.
Chant
One of my favorite go to books, especially for all the baby hats I have been knitting lately. I just adapt the needle size and play with the yarns. I love this book!
Sheila
This book has quite a few nice basic hat patterns, but nothing outstandingly original. I'd recommend it for the beginning hat knitter.
Chanelle
I LOVE this book! There are so many great patterns and they can look so different depending on the yarn you use.
Margaret
LOVE this book....lots of cute hat patterns, including felted hats. I'm putting it on my Christmas wish-list! :)
K.A. Jordan
I'm looking forward to trying at least a few of these designs as my skill with knitting needles improves.
Anna
Nice designs but a few errata, and it was difficult to figure out adequate substitute yarns.
Sandy
This is my favorite hat knitting book. I've made about ten hats from patterns in this book.

Barb
Going to get going on one soon - Have been knitting hockey socks lately. They are fun.
Sandie
while I haven't made anything from this book yet I really like the patterns
Sophia
Make sure to check the author's website for any corrections!
Yvonne
Some fun looking hats but I haven't made any!
Dee
Beautiful hats but not for beginners.
Martha
creative, yet realistic & practical
Kassie
Kassie marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Angelica
Angelica marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Cowl Girls: The Neck's Big Thing to Knit Hattitude: Knits for Every Mood Knitting Sweaters from the Top Down: Fabulous Seamless Patterns to Suit Your Style Short & Sweet: 35 Designs for the Cream of the Cropped Happy Feet: Unique Knits to Knock Your Socks Off