Start by marking “Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs” as Want to Read:
Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs

Hip Knit Hats: 40 Fabulous Designs

Every knitter will adore these timeless, fashionable, and extremely wearable hats, all photographed on models in a chic urban setting. Most of the projects involve knitting in the round, so a thorough overview explains the technique, as well as basic hat forms, choosing a yarn, and accessible techniques such as felting. Try a shaped ribbon yarn hat with equally decorative ...more
Published October 1st 2005 by Lark Books

To ask other readers questions about Hip Knit Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hip Knit Hats

Nov 28, 2008 Jennifer added it
Shelves: knitting
I made the hat that's shown on the cover in black and brown. Good thing I have some experience and some knitter's common sense, as there was an error in the instructions that I managed to bypass. I love the hat and would consider making more from this book, even more hats of the same pattern in different colors, except that my cup runneth over with knitting patterns I want to try. Ideally all at the same time, and right now - but if I do come back to Hip Knit Hats, I'll take another look at "Cle ...more
May 10, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
This book makes me want to ask everyone I know if they have a large or medium head. There are so many hats I want to make. Everyone is getting a hat for their birthday and Christmas this year.
Kel
Nov 16, 2007 Kel rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
Great hat patterns! I loved this book. :)
Oct 03, 2008 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: advanced beginner knitters
Shelves: knitting, non-fiction
I have used two patterns in this book to make 4 different hats and I really like the patterns. The hats are knit from the top down which was new to me and I really liked making the hats that way. The other great thing about the book is that many of the patterns give you directions for the same hat in a different yarn weights. I LOVE THAT!

I lucked out and by chance bought the 5th edition of this book where a lot of the errata is corrected. If you get printings 1-4 you will want to go print out th
Apr 04, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
This book was cool. I thought that they took a simple thing such as a hat and made it into something spectacular. I flagged 12 patterns in this book that I might want to knit someday. That is a lot, especially since I am pretty particular about what patterns I want to knit. I really liked this book. The layout was very inviting and friendly. I would recommend this book.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2008...
Polly
Feb 24, 2010 Polly rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, crafts
I don't know that I'd call most of these hip, but there are some pretty nice hats, although also a fair number of ho-hums (dull) and oh-dears (completely lacking in taste). I knit the black and brown one on the cover, and it was lovely, but it seems to have disappeared from the face of the earth!
Sheila
Sep 26, 2011 Sheila rated it liked it
Shelves: fiber-arts
This book has quite a few nice basic hat patterns, but nothing outstandingly original. I'd recommend it for the beginning hat knitter.
Sophia
Jul 28, 2011 Sophia rated it really liked it
Shelves: knit-crochet
Make sure to check the author's website for any corrections!
Dee
Sep 23, 2013 Dee rated it really liked it
Beautiful hats but not for beginners.
Tilden
Nov 28, 2014 Tilden rated it really liked it
Very creative hats in various shapes, colors, and yarns. It's amazing how a hat can change looks just by using different yarns in different colors.
Marilee
Aug 28, 2008 Marilee rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: knitters who like funky hats
The hats in this book are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I made one that has a drawstring i-cord at the top. It was easy and fun to knit and there are a bunch of other hats in the book that I want to make.
Ella
Aug 28, 2015 Ella rated it did not like it
Shelves: art-how-to
Lots of felted hats. No patterns that are my style.
Anna
Nov 24, 2008 Anna rated it liked it
Shelves: knitting
Nice designs but a few errata, and it was difficult to figure out adequate substitute yarns.
K.A. Jordan
Oct 17, 2013 K.A. Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: arts-crafts
I'm looking forward to trying at least a few of these designs as my skill with knitting needles improves.
Misty
Dec 29, 2010 Misty rated it really liked it
This is my favorite knitting book. Very simple patterns for a confident beginner. A nice selection of styles and techniques. Only caveat...If you have an early edition, look up the errata online.
Sandy
Sep 02, 2013 Sandy rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite hat knitting book. I've made about ten hats from patterns in this book.

Sandie
Feb 24, 2010 Sandie rated it liked it
Shelves: crafts
while I haven't made anything from this book yet I really like the patterns
Yvonne
Jun 20, 2008 Yvonne rated it it was ok
Some fun looking hats but I haven't made any!
Chanelle
Oct 10, 2008 Chanelle rated it really liked it
I LOVE this book! There are so many great patterns and they can look so different depending on the yarn you use.
Margaret
Apr 16, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing
LOVE this book....lots of cute hat patterns, including felted hats. I'm putting it on my Christmas wish-list! :)
Mckinley
Jul 24, 2015 Mckinley rated it liked it
Variety, some for men, mostly for women.
Chant
Jun 06, 2013 Chant rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite go to books, especially for all the baby hats I have been knitting lately. I just adapt the needle size and play with the yarns. I love this book!
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2010
Two Readers in Love
Two Readers in Love rated it liked it
May 29, 2017
Kelly Fleek
Kelly Fleek rated it liked it
Nov 14, 2012
Miss Jane
Miss Jane rated it it was amazing
Jan 09, 2016
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2007
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2010
K
K rated it liked it
May 30, 2011
Tonya
Tonya rated it really liked it
May 03, 2008
  • More Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Knit. Sock. Love.
  • Knitting New Scarves: 27 Distinctly Modern Designs
  • Knitted Lace of Estonia
  • Knitting on the Edge: Ribs * Ruffles * Lace * Fringes * Floral * Points  Picots - The Essential Collection of 350 Decorative Borders
  • Modern Top-Down Knitting: Sweaters, Dresses, Skirts & Accessories Inspired by the Techniques of Barbara G. Walker
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • No Sheep for You: Knit Happy with Cotton, Silk, Linen, Hemp, Bamboo & Other Delights