We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5)

We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow #5)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  2,083 ratings  ·  119 reviews
In" We'll Always Have Parrots, Meg travels with her fiance Michael to a fan convention for Porfiria, Queen of the Jungle--a cheesy cult TV show on which Michael has a minor role. Michael hopes the weekend will give him a chance to talk Miss Wynncliffe-Jones, the show's temperamental leading lady and executive producer out of enforcing a certain provision in Michael's contr...more
Hardcover, Large Print, 415 pages
Published April 20th 2004 by Thorndike Press (first published November 12th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about We'll Always Have Parrots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We'll Always Have Parrots

Kristin
Mar 26, 2009 Kristin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's been to a SF&F convention
Shelves: mystery
This was just a fun brain candy book and why I liked it in particular was because it was set at a fantasy convention and, having attended SF&F conventions for the past 15 years, I could so totally relate to the setting. Costumed fans, boring panels, a dealers room, issues with the hotel, masquerades, auctions...yup, been there, done that!

Premise of the book revolves around Meg Langslow and her actor-boyfriend Michael, who is required by contract to attend a certain number of publicity event...more
Betty
This review is from: We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow Mysteries) (Kindle Edition)
Meg and Michael are at fan convention for the hit Television series Amblyopia. Meg's family that love custom parties are present. Monkeys and parrots have been released in the hole to ambience to the scene. The QB IS causing problems and it fills to Meg and Michael to handle them. After Meg fights with the QB, she is found dead. Meg's fingerprints are on the weapon. Meg must go back in time to find the answer...more
Mark Baker
Meg's boyfriend Michael is appearing at a convention for the fantasy show where he has a recurring role. The actress who plays the main character on the show is a woman no one likes, so it's not that surprising when she turns up dead. But who actually killed her? Meg will have to get involved to find out. This book features some of the funniest antics of any group of characters in the series. Lots of laughs and a good mystery, too.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Adrienne Testa
Meg Langslow is supporting her boyfriend Michael by going to a fan convention of his television show. She figures she can sell some of her weapons as Michael does his thing. Then the Queen Bee is murdered, the hotel is over run with monkeys and parrots and Meg is on the case. She finds the Queen Bee dead in her hotel room, plenty of suspects yet no arrests. Meg digs deep to find the answers, only to come face to face with the killer. Its up to Meg to outsmart the killer before he kills her. Its...more
Trish
Another cutesy mystery from Donna Andrews that feature Meg Langslow as the iron-artist turned sleuth. This is an okay story but it just wasn't a compelling page turner. There were parts and pieces that had me chuckling and smiling as I related to the fans of Profiria much like some of my friends and I relate to Trixie Belden. The mention of fanfic and the subsequent discussions about slash and such were really fun. But the parrots, the monkeys, Meg's parents, so much of it was nothing but unnece...more
Graceann
For this outing in the Meg Langslow mysteries, we visit a convention dedicated to a cult television show. Meg's boyfriend is one of the stars, and she's along for the ride.

Of course, wherever Meg goes, someone dies (you would think she'd have fewer friends based on this), and she finds herself in the middle of a mystery, when all she wanted to do was sell a few swords and avoid her boyfriend's rabid fans.

Donna Andrews pokes gentle fun at the convention attendees who go to these shindigs, and w...more
Grey853
Kae Cheatham
Meg Langslow, blacksmith, must solve a murder before her boyfriend is accused of it. A lot of pages were spent on setting up likely suspects before the murder even took place, and I deduced as soon as that was done then who the culprit was. It was confirmed for me 2/3 of the way through with another attempt to off-put the reader. Needless to say, I wasn't enamored of the mystery part of this mystery.

And then there's the bit about the parrots (and monkeys) that for a convention. What? True, Andr...more
Ed
#5 in the Meg Langslow series. Author Donna Andrews spreads good cheer in this 2004 entry to her popular series which stands at 16 entries through Christmas 2013. Great fun.

Meg Langslow travels with fiance Michael to a fan convention for a cult TV show on which Michael has a role. Michael hopes to talk Miss Wynncliffe-Jones out of enforcing his contract. Michael's not the only person whose career the dictatorial star has manipulated. When the star is found murdered, the police have plenty of sus...more
Marcia
This was just fun. I really wish there was a 3.5 stars. I giggled audibly several times. I was listening to it in my car and it entertained me all week. It's comic con meets call of the wild meets murder mystery.
This series involves a female blacksmith with an eccentric family, and the college professor that loves her. (That last part sounds like a Maury Povich episode, doesn't it?) The first two in the series are OK, the third has the best title, but this one just tickles me to bits. It's set at a Con, with all the just plain weirdness that goes with that. Remember the college professor above? Also acts in a cult favorite scifi TV show - hence the Con attendance. These are just plain fun - though I wis...more
Tracy
I'm a sucker for a clever or corny title.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The mystery was just convoluted enough that I didn't figure it out in the beginning - but if I did, who cares? This isn't meant to be high-brow or even all that realistic, but it is certainly entertaining.

Since this is the first of this author's works that I've read, I can't make a comparison to her other books, nor can I critique the growth (or non-growth) of the main character.

Not a laugh-out-loud read overall, there wer...more
I don't really like this series but I keep reading it anyway.
Margaret
Meg travels with her actor-fiance Michael to a fan convention for "Porfiria, Queen of the Jungle" - a cheesy cult TV show on which Michael has a minor role. But when the show's star is found murdered, the police have plenty of suspects.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
An enjoyable cozy mystery with touches of humor - liked the setting of a TV show convention - it made all the suspects quirky for a reason! I did figure out the murderer before Meg did but that's ok, it didn't...more
Liz
I love this series.
Joy
Michael's tv series is throwing a convention, and Meg goes along with him to sell some of her ironwork. Her accommodating boothmate Alaric Steele gives her plenty of free time to participate in the swordplay demonstrations and investigate the death of the actress who plays the science fiction queen. Meg's dad is happily recording the mimicked sounds of escaped African Grey parrots. Andrews saves the best for last, when an unhappy tiger roaming the hotel is less dangerous than the suddenly reveal...more
Linda
Amateur-sleuth Meg Langslow accompanied her actor-boyfriend to the fan convention celebrating his hit television series because she figured he could use the support and it gave her the opportunity to sell her handcrafted weapons. When the producer and main actress of the series turns up dead in her hotel room, Meg is suddenly up to her ears in parrots, monkeys and murder suspects.

I enjoy this series because the stories are light, entertaining and quick reads. This wasn't one of my favorites, tho...more
Susan
This isn't the best of the Meg Lanslow books, but anything from Donna Andrews is going to be a fun read. Meg's boyfriend Michael has been moonlighting as a magical hulk on a cult favorite television show. But the stuffy professors at the college where he's trying for tenure don't like the show. Michael's contract with the star will force him to make more appearances. When the star is killed at a fan convention, that makes Michael a suspect, unless Meg can find a better one.
Nancyk
This is my 5th Meg Langslow book. Her books are always interesting because when you pick one up you never know where it will take place. And I enjoyed the Parrots & the Monkeys. And the fact that I think meg really does care for little spike as much as she says she doesn't. The mystery was a good one too, I never knew who did it until it was revealed. And I know this is trivial but I wish at the end the Parrots had flew up & away rather than being caught & put back in cages.
Verity W
Oh every time I read a book in this series I want to get hold of the next one - I enjoy them that much. They are perfect nightshift reading - funny, cozy murder mysteries that keep you turning the page.

I love the different settings that Donna Andrews comes up with for these books - this time Meg and Michael are at a convention for Michael's TV series and the murder mystery plot is also surrounded by quirky characters and funny subplots.

I want the next one now!
Jill
#5 in series. Meg Langslow finds yet another body but "who done it?" is the question. The usual characters in the stories, including her boyfriend, Micheal. Some of her family are also attending the sc fi convention for the tv show Micheal is in. Parrots and Monkeys are all over the hotel, along with a caged lion and we can't forget Spike, the dog!

I did figure out who the killer was, but not is new identity. On to the next book!
Jessi
This might be one of my favorites in the Meg Langslow series. In this book, Meg is heading off to a convention based around her boyfriend's television series. During the convention, someone lets loose a bunch of parrots and monkeys ('cause the show is set in the jungle) and the QB (Queen, um, Bee) is murdered. Meg has to figure out who, in a seemingly unending list of characters, wanted to kill this aging B-list star.
Sandy
I liked this book okay. Funny like the others, I love Meg's dad. But, I just couldn't get into it. I read almost a dozen books between starting and finishing this one. It didn't seem to hold my attention for more than 10 minutes at a time. I gave it 4 stars because, looking back, I did really like the book, I think I just wasn't in the mood for this type of mystery. I will still continue on with the series.
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2012 Elizabeth rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: Franzi
Shelves: fiction-mystery
Meg Lanslow is awesome, and I love her sense of humor and her practicality. The plot in this one is mechanical; that said, I totally guessed the murderer wrong, so there's that.

In the file of, I wanted to read a book that the author wasn't planning on writing, I wish there were a novel about a fan con that treated the fans as "us." The closest I can think of is Murder at the ABA, and that's a professional thing.
Catherine
Not my favorite in the series, but still a good summer read.
Will
This is the first book of the series that I read and it remains my favorite. I think Andrews hit her stride by this point and the writing in each book is much better. Even so if one knows these stories are for you then one should go back and start at the beginning since the stories do build on one another. Like Jim Butcher's work I need to take a break between books or I start to burn out...
Fmorlan
Meg accomanying Michael to a fan convention gives her the opportunity to be with Michael and sell her wares. So many fans and a hotel covered with parrots and monkeys. While the convention is going on, the star of the show is eliminated. It leads to many suspects and Meg getting involved. This was creative as the characters came and went while the convention cintinued for the fans.
Laura Rodd
I usually enjoy this authors writing but I found this book immensely unlikeable. It is set in a very busy hotel hosting a soap opera-fantasy convention. Most of the minor and major characters are simply annoying, not the usual amusingly eccentric cast Andrews' usually draws from. Reading this causes one to visualize and environment that is nauseating and claustrophobic.
  • Unnatural Selection (Gideon Oliver, #13)
  • A Knife to Remember (Jane Jeffry, #5)
  • Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil (An Aunt Dimity Mystery, #6)
  • Cat on the Scent (Mrs. Murphy #7)
  • The Shaman's Game
  • Sugarplum Dead (Death on Demand, #12)
  • The Christie Caper (Death on Demand, #7)
  • An Owl Too Many (Peter Shandy, #8)
  • The Widow's Club (Ellie Haskell Mystery, #3)
  • Silver Scream (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries #18)
Donna Andrews was born in Yorktown, Virginia, the setting of Murder with Peacocks and Revenge of the Wrought Iron Flamingos, and now lives and works in Reston, Virginia. When not writing fiction, Andrews is a self-confessed nerd, rarely found away from her computer, unless she's messing in the garden

More about Donna Andrews...
Murder With Peacocks (Meg Langslow, #1) Murder With Puffins (Meg Langslow, #2) Revenge of the Wrought-Iron Flamingos (Meg Langslow, #3) Crouching Buzzard, Leaping Loon (Meg Langslow, #4) Owls Well That Ends Well (Meg Langslow, #6)