Start by marking “After All These Years” as Want to Read:
After All These Years

After All These Years

3.62  ·  Rating Details ·  1,604 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
The day after her lavish wedding anniversary bash, Rosie Meyers gets a big surprise: her nouveau riche husband, Richie, is leaving her for a sultry, sophisticated, size-six MBA. So, when he's found murdered in their exquisitely appointed kitchen, no one is surprised to find Rosie's prints all over the weapon.

The suburban English teacher is the prime suspect -- the police's
Published February 3rd 2004 by Harper Perennial (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about After All These Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about After All These Years

Margaret
After All These Years is one of my favorite Susan Isaacs books, a wonderfully witty and entertaining murder mystery. Rosie Meyers is in the middle of a messy divorce, which gets suddenly messier when she goes down to her kitchen for a midnight snack and finds her husband Richie dead on the floor with a knife in his chest. Unfortunately for Rosie, she's the prime suspect. Since she knows she didn't do it, she goes on the lam, investigating Richie's life and tracking down the real murderer.

Whodun
HeiLi
Sep 13, 2009 HeiLi rated it it was ok
Shelves: thriller
It's a long time that I read this book, and I remember that I did not like it that much, but there's one sentence/quote from the book that stuck in my memory:

Said by one of the female characters: "I really wish God had created an interesting alternative to men."

Yeah, you bet....
Thelma Long
Apr 09, 2009 Thelma Long rated it really liked it
This was the book that made me decide I would read anything by Susan Isaacs. She is very funny
Mary
Dec 10, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
Funny and smart
Priscilla
Nov 02, 2009 Priscilla rated it liked it
this was cute and enjoyable. not exactly first class literature, but a fun plane ride kind of book. basically this woman finds her ex-husband murdered and then she is framed for the murder and has to go on the lam and find the killer herself. i'm not really spoiling anything; that's basically all on the book jacket. murder, mystery, rich people, and a little sex - what more can i ask for?
Ann Herrick
Jan 14, 2013 Ann Herrick rated it it was amazing
Intriguing mystery and witty, read it at a time when I really needed a laugh and this definitely provided that. :)
Debra
Jul 30, 2015 Debra rated it really liked it
Right after celebrating their twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, Richie Meyers declares his love for another woman and leaves his wife, Rosie. Rosie’s devastated, but she has good friends and neighbors in Cass, Stephanie, and Madelaine, plus a teaching job she enjoys, two fully grown sons, and a very large home in the ritzy Shorehaven Estates at Long Island. Several weeks later, Rosie wakes up in the middle of the night and stumbles across Richie’s body on her kitchen floor. In her shock, Rosie t ...more
Desi
Jun 23, 2017 Desi rated it it was amazing
To be honest, I didn't really expect to like this book. But despite of that, I found it very intriguing and caught myself wondering what will happen next. Before I knew it I had already dived deep into the story, up until the very end. A book that was definitely worth my time!
Marjorie
May 15, 2017 Marjorie rated it did not like it
The snark was too much for me.
Patty
Mar 09, 2017 Patty rated it really liked it
Easy reading mystery.
Cindy Spence
Mar 03, 2017 Cindy Spence rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I seen the movie and then read the book

The book is way better than the movie. It leads you on and you're thinking that several people are the murderer, but then when you least expect it, you find out it's not who you thought. Great book to read!
Julie
Apr 03, 2010 Julie rated it liked it
I finished this book up this morning on my bus ride into work. It took me five days to finish this, which is a little long for me. That could be an indicator of how well I liked this book. This is a difficult review for me because I did like the story overall, just some parts were a little much.

The book was a fun read, just not a real page-turner. It wasn't calling to me to continue reading and forget about doing the laundry like some of the other books I have read in the past.

The story was writ
Aaron Marvel
May 11, 2014 Aaron Marvel rated it it was ok
Only read this book b/c it's on my LOST list, and it wasn't that great. I thought there were several plot holes that you could drive a truck through and it just didn't strike me as all that believable of a story, even in a pre internet pre cell phone world. Not very suspenseful or interesting as far as murder mysteries go. Which is just as well considering its minimal LOST relevancy. This book was seen in The Swan station near Sawyer's bed while he is recovering from injuries. Most think it was ...more
Aimee
Mar 02, 2015 Aimee rated it really liked it
Whatever shortcomings there are in the plotting, and I confess I must not know enough about the lives of the very rich in NYC and Long Island to spot such shortcomings, they're more than made up for by the sparkling, hilarious dialogue and the vibrantly colorful characters. Even bland, boring Carter Tillotson is somehow made memorable. Susan Isaacs shines at character development and scene-setting; I could very easily picture all the places and things she described.
She's really no slouch at myst
Susan
Sep 15, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok
I read After All These Years for my book club. We wanted to read something not so serious, we have been reading too much literary fiction and wanted to read something fun. This was a fun, quick read. Unfortunately, I was getting bored. Finally, after the last 3/4 of the book the pace picked up. I will say, I did not love it, but I did not hate it either.

The story was a about Richie, and Rosy. They are both middle aged in a comfortable life. When suddenly, Richie announces to Rosy, he wants a di
Mlg
Feb 08, 2013 Mlg rated it really liked it
Shelves: beach-books, fiction
Rosie Myers is an English teacher who is pushing 50. Her husband built a new company that did quite well and Rosie is living in a mansion. Her husband found himself a much younger mistress and he and Rosie are in the final stages of divorce when he is found "en brochette" on her kitchen floor with a carving knife stuck in his chest. She has a group of friends who surround her. One a self-styled poet writes her a poem:
"Alone
In the kind-sized cosmos of
The Posturepedic
Why?"
Rosie is about to be
Margaret
Jul 29, 2011 Margaret added it
Shelves: 2011
The cover reviews say "relentlessly funny" (which sounds like the humor has to hunt you down) and "laugh until you cry" or something along that line - I thought the writing was a little witty in spots and I was sometimes mildy amused. The main character Rosie seemed rather sex-obsessed for a 47 year old woman who described herself as menopausal. She is not trying to figure out who murdered her husband of 20+ years to bring about justice because she loved him - she's doing the detecting so she wi ...more
Kandice
This was a lite, cozy type of mystery with a lot of humor. The story was entertaining. The characters were interesting. I would read another of her books. However, I would hope this was an earlier book of hers and that her writing has become tighter. My biggest complaint was with the end of the book. The solution to the mystery was given in a monologue by the main character and continued for several chapters. There wasn't any action at the end - just a long description of how the murder took pla ...more
Peggy
Dec 07, 2012 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Re-read. Again.

One of my top book favorites ever. A woman goes to the kitchen in the middle of the night for a snack and stumbles on the dead body of her soon-to-be-ex-husband with a knife in his chest. She panics and grabs the knife to try and save him. When the police arrive they find a dead man who's with his soon-to-be-ex's finger prints on the murder weapon. Since the divorce is not final she will now inherit everything. The police have no reason to look further for the killer so Rose has t
Jackie Levy
Jul 13, 2015 Jackie Levy rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: no one
Recommended to Jackie by: Julie from tai Chi
A friend from tai chi loaned this book to me. At first I was very uninterested in it, but a few chapters in things shifted and I really wanted to know how the heroine would handle herself and how the murder mystery would all play out. I found it hard to put down for the middle part of the book. However, it became very predictable again at the end and I was no longer that interested in it, though I did hang in there and finish it since it was easy and quick to read. Not sure I'll want to read any ...more
Jenni
Aug 04, 2008 Jenni rated it it was amazing
Susan Isaacs is one of my favorite authors. I love a good Chick suspense! I laughed my way through Rosie's (main character) antics as she discovers the person who killed her soon-to-be ex-husband Richie.

Rosie was a character I was drawn to, and I rooted for her all through this book.

It's a book that's been around a while, and although I've read it at least a dozen times over the years, I still keep it on my bookshelf.

I highly recommend it!
Cassandra.
I just remembered this book as I was watching a Hallmark Movie with the same title. The book is much, much better than the movie. After a gala event celebrating their 30th anniversary, the husband announces he is leaving the wife for another woman. Months later, he is found in her kitchen with a knife in his chest. She "goes on the lamb". Do not watch the movie until you have read the book! Laugh out loud funny and a good mystery.
Theresa de Valence
Apr 21, 2014 Theresa de Valence rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Feeling a little underappreciated? In need of a bit of a lift?

Susan Isaacs’ AFTER ALL THESE YEARS will give you a kick, enable you to trounce that enemy Time, and restore your faith in the world. I read it in one sitting, caring neither for food nor drink—though possibly I did have a nibble now and then.

Thank you to whomever recommended it. Only problem now is what’s good enough to read next?

Theresa de Valence, http://www.ReviewsByTdeV.com/
Ann
Jul 30, 2008 Ann rated it it was ok
Not a bad book, but not a good book either. A high school English teacher who has just been separated from her husband and is facing divorce when her husband is found murdered in her house. She runs into the city to find the real killer when she is regarded as the prime suspect. There really wasn't anything outstanding in this predictable plot. It was written to be a movie of the week, I think.
Santa
Dec 11, 2016 Santa rated it really liked it
Such a cute and interesting book. Read it a long time ago when I was just starting my voyage into literature and NEED I mention that I was little then so I didn't really enjoy it THAT much. But recently, I reread it and it's much more enjoyable than my first time with it. A journey about a smart witty woman trying to clear her name for a murder she didn't commit which leads her to a lot of adventures and discoveries.
April
Aug 07, 2010 April rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010-reads
Super wealthy neighborhood. Everyone is having affairs with someone else. A woman is found standing over her dead husband...her prints the only ones to be found on the knife. As she sets out to prove she's not the murderer, she discovers *gasp* that her husband isn't who she thought he was. While there are humorous moments, as promised by the back cover, I wasn't overly excited about this book. Just meh.
Annette
May 13, 2011 Annette rated it really liked it
This is an old(er) mystery. I'm not a big mystery fan ( I always want to know who dun it, and often read the last chapter first)....but this one was clever and fun to read. The female ( who has been done wrong by her man), is funny. At least as funny as a murder suspect can be. It's a great summertime book, just perfect for relaxing with your sangria !
Sharon
Nov 03, 2012 Sharon rated it really liked it
I've just rediscovered Isaacs. Her heroines are usually women of a certain age who get embroiled in some kind of mystery. Here, the woman is framed for her husband's murder and sets out to find the culprit. Isaacs did a good job holding up the suspense until the end, although it's a bit hard to believe that our heroine managed to outrun the police for a week.
Teri
May 30, 2009 Teri rated it really liked it
I got a big kick out of this book. It read fast and kept moving, and the main character is an English teacher who regularly tosses in references and allusions to literature in her ordinary conversations and thinking. It's not great lit, but it's a fun read. (I liked it much better than the other Susan Isaacs book I read, which I found to be tedious through the second 1/4 of it.)
Karen
Aug 04, 2008 Karen rated it liked it
Couldn't put it down, despite its complete implausability; I always like her strong female characters who seem really real, but also manage to solve the mystery and have a great looking guy ready to save the day. Does anyone notice that all I'm reading lately are books with either sex or mystery, preferably both, as themes? What does this say about me? About my summer? About anything?
  • The Stone Leopard
  • Bad Twin
  • The Survivors of the Chancellor (Extraordinary Voyages, #13)
  • Caravan of Dreams
  • The Coalwood Way: A Memoir  (Coalwood, #2)
  • Lancelot
  • The Oath (Dismas Hardy, #8)
  • The Moon Pool
  • The Shape of Things to Come
  • The Laws of Manu
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge and Other Stories
  • Manservant and Maidservant
  • Laughter in the Dark
  • The Invention of Morel
  • Bonjour, Babar!: The Six Unabridged Classics by the Creator of Babar
  • The Third Policeman
  • Hotel
Susan Isaacs is a recipient of the Writers for Writers Award and the John Steinbeck Award. She serves as chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and is a past president of Mystery Writers of America. She is also a member of the National Book Critics Circle, The Creative Coalition, PEN, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the International Association of Crime Writers, and the Ada ...more
More about Susan Isaacs...

“She has been excessively cheery. In a white Anglo-Saxon Protestant, that is always a sign of a fairly severe depression.” 1 likes