Start by marking “Close Relations” as Want to Read:
Close Relations

Close Relations

It was a situation from which half-hour television comedies are made. MARCIA--in tonight's episode, Marcia Green's warm and winning and wise and wonderful Jewish family reminds her that she is thirty-five, divorced, and childless. That's Marcia on her close relations. True, she's one of the best speechwriters around in the tough world of New York's smoke-filled rooms, but ...more
Published February 1st 1980 by HarperTorch (first published January 1st 1980)

To ask other readers questions about Close Relations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Close Relations

christine
Dec 18, 2007 christine rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: no one
Craaaaaaap and the sexy bits weren't good either. Bored airport buyer beware! I actually felt a smidgen guilty for leaving it behind me on the plane.
JenniferB
Oct 04, 2016 JenniferB rated it liked it
Not her best book. Old fashioned about relationships and attitudes at work. Still enjoyable though.
Shobha Rajpal
Sep 19, 2014 Shobha Rajpal rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-reads
How can anyone not like this book!! :)
It's one of my security-blanket like books that I read and re read at least twice a year and escape to my happy place. It was a very realistic adult gritty yet all the more realistic for it version of all the romance novels I had been reading around that time.
I read it when I was just 17. As a Pakistani high schooler who had never thought of coming to states yet (other than vague plans to go to graduate school in some Ivy League college), I had no idea what
Lee
Jul 25, 2011 Lee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rebecca
Feb 15, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was ok
I like this author but hated this book. I hated all of the main characters. There were two or three minor characters who were decent, but they weren't in the story enough to save it.
I gave it two stars because I did finish it. But it did take me a long time to get through it.
This is an earlier books that the ones I have been reading by this author. I assume her style changed over the years, and I prefer her newer style.
Beth Pearson
Jan 20, 2014 Beth Pearson rated it it was ok
This book dragged for me. It was written in 1980 and reflected a lot of attitudes and morals of the 70's. Marcia's Jewish family wants her to marry one their own and settle down to babies and housewifery. Marcia works as a speech writer in politics and is happily living with her Irish and handsome boyfriend who has not intention of ever marrying anyone. It seemed to take forever to get anywhere and then once it did, the ending wrapped up awfully quick. Not a favorite at all.
Jenny
Apr 03, 2016 Jenny rated it it was ok
For one, not the author's fault, but this was written in 1980s! She talks about wearing pantyhose on dates and other just weird stuff (though yoga and pedicures existed back then, who knew?) The story was way too dated. Also, the premise behind the chick lit was politics, which is not my favorite. And third, the protagonist HATES her family, and from her point of view, who wouldn't? Ugh, but in the end (insert sarcasm here) she gets the right guy, so who cares!
Ellen
Sep 05, 2016 Ellen rated it liked it
Shallow but entertaining
Ann Massey
Sep 26, 2011 Ann Massey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Imagine Bridget Jones as a Jewish, single political speech writer from Queens working in New York - juggling a demanding career, a live-in boyfriend who won't commit and a family who won't be happy until they see her married and you have the plot of 'Close Relations.' I loved it. Marcia Green, Isaacs heroine is the sort of person I'd like for a friend.

Karen
Jul 06, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
To quote a paragraph from the book, "It was a situation from which half-hour television comedies are made. MARCIA - in tonight's episode, Marcia Green's warm and winning and wise and wonderful Jewish family reminds her that she is thirty-five, divorced and childless". This book was a pleasure, witty and wicked all rolled onto one.
Valerie
Shana
Jun 24, 2011 Shana rated it it was ok
This is probably my least favorite book I've read so far by Susan Isaacs. A seemingly smart, independent woman has a very co-dependent (and dismal) relationship with a man throughout the majority of the book and ends up with a seemingly perfect man at the very end. Ugh!
Donna
Oct 20, 2013 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful palette cleanser after reading only non-fiction for the past several weeks. Briskly paced, witty, and satirical, "Close Relations" is a romantic comedy that lovingly sends up family relationships.
Amy
Sep 25, 2013 Amy rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Just really couldn't get in to the book and I didn't resonate with or like any of the characters that well.
April Reeve
Jun 13, 2014 April Reeve rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I've read it many times. Sometimes your family is right and the guy really isn't any good for you.
Amy Ressing
Amy Ressing rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2009
Iet Hasselaar
Iet Hasselaar rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2016
Gail Ellett
Gail Ellett rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2013
Linda
Aug 31, 2011 Linda rated it really liked it
Although she knows she's married to the perfect man, she wants another.
Debbie
Debbie rated it really liked it
Nov 11, 2013
Margie
Margie rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2012
Rosalind Reisner
Rosalind Reisner rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2010
Doriana
Doriana rated it liked it
Apr 03, 2011
Julia Tibbets
Julia Tibbets rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2016
Naomi
Naomi rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2010
Priscilla
Priscilla rated it liked it
Jun 09, 2012
Jean Patterson
Jean Patterson rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl rated it it was amazing
Sep 04, 2009
Carla
Carla rated it liked it
Feb 26, 2012
Sara
Sara rated it it was amazing
Nov 06, 2015
  • Snowdrops and Scandalbroth (Regency Romance)
  • The Duke's Double (Lords of Love)
  • Original Sins
  • Beyond Breathless (The Red Choo Diaries) (Harlequin Blaze #297)
  • Again (Hometown Memories #4)
  • The Mésalliance (Rockliffe, #2)
  • Knave's Wager
  • The Boyfriend School
  • Fallen Angel
  • The Pretenders
  • The Fortune Hunter (Lord Rival, #2)
  • Tempting Harriet (Sullivan, #3)
  • Dying Young
  • Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career
  • The Demon's Mistress (Three Heroes, #1; Company of Rogues, #6)
  • The Duke's Wager (Bessacarr, #1)
  • Rise (Rock Solid, #1)
  • 11 Harrowhouse
Susan Isaacs is a recipient of the Writers for Writers Award and the John Steinbeck Award. She serves as chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and is a past president of Mystery Writers of America. She is also a member of the National Book Critics Circle, The Creative Coalition, PEN, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the International Association of Crime Writers, and the ...more
More about Susan Isaacs...