Start by marking “Magic Hour” as Want to Read:
Magic Hour

Magic Hour

Movie producer Sy Spencer -- one of the premier summer residents of the Hamptons, Long Island's oh-so-fashionable beach resort for everyone who is anyone -- has hosted his last power clambake, thanks to whoever shot him dead beside his oceanfront pool.

Heading the investigation is Hamptons native Steve Brady. His prime suspect is Sy's ex-wife Bonnie, a strangely appealing a
Unknown Binding, 496 pages
Published September 9th 1998 by HarperTorch (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Magic Hour, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Hour

Nicole
May 03, 2008 Nicole rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Steven Brady, alcoholic detective, was not a character I could feel sympathy with. Nor were any of the others. His struggles and lusts were just pauses in the story while he wallowed about. I have little patience after the first few so found skimming the book for where the plot returned the way to finish this book. Edited down it would be better.
This part I liked was to shifting through the evidence and analyzing it with a good balance between intuition and basic procedure. While Brady was doing
Jane Stewart
Sep 27, 2010 Jane Stewart rated it did not like it
It was a good story but a too heavy with details. I prefer a different style of writing and genre.

I thought this was romance, but it's really a mystery. Readers who love mysteries will probably enjoy this more than I. There was way too much conversation and too many details to follow. I didn't want my brain to have to work to remember and analyze all the details. I had to take notes while reading to keep track of the different names, etc. I prefer books that don't make me concentrate and work so
joan winant
Jul 20, 2016 joan winant rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just the best beach book ever in the world...

After all these years, it still holds up as both a wicked satire on the ever more celebrity- focused Hamptons and a celebration of the redemptive power of love . The author creates real people, not just caricatures, and we end up caring for them deeply. Just as they do, we have fun and laugh through tears.
Kathleen Cochran
Feb 18, 2014 Kathleen Cochran rated it it was amazing
This sounds like a piece of fluff, possibly a good beach read. Don't dismiss this interesting story that unfolds slowly and develops its characters with the expertise of a seasoned writer. I keep waiting for Susan Isaacs to write another "Magic Hour" quality novel. I know she has it in her. This one is absolutely her best work.
Marianne Hauswirth
Oct 29, 2014 Marianne Hauswirth rated it it was amazing
My go to book! Have read it every summer for at least the last ten years and recommend it to all my friends! Steve Brady, recovering alcoholic homicide detective rediscovers the love of his life who he doesn't even remember. Susan Issac's descriptions of Long Island from what is now 25 years ago is bittersweet.
Donna Davis
Sep 17, 2012 Donna Davis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
Isaacs is a word-painter. Her writing is vivid and lush, and once in awhile, a slice of wry humor comes around a corner and strikes you hard and fast, and you didn't expect to laugh, yet there you are.

I read everything Isaacs writes. This was one of the first. I am usually unwilling to read about the upper-middle-class and wealthy characters, but because she is so very, very good, I read them anyway.

I don't want to wreck the plot with specifics. One thing I will say: the women are always the her
Susan
Feb 26, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
fun location - so dated - I waited too long to read it!
Jean
Jan 09, 2015 Jean added it
good twist to the story
Teri
May 30, 2009 Teri rated it liked it
I'd read a recommendation for Susan Isaacs' books somewhere online as humorous detective fiction, so I picked this off the library shelves. It was okay. There were parts which I thought could have been cut because they did nothing to advance the plot or develop character, and they weren't interesting enough on their own to be worth the time; she needs me to edit her work! Now reading "After All These Years" and after only 25 pages, I like it lots better!
lynn
Dec 19, 2013 lynn rated it liked it
A murder in the Hamptons. Big time movie producer in the midst of a film production. Lots of possible suspects as he did not try to make friends. Local cop assigned to solve the mystery. Similar to the plot of another book I just read (won't reveal which one so as not to give away anything!). This one was better written that the other with more detail to the plot. Fun read on a cold winter's day.
Victoria
Jul 20, 2009 Victoria rated it liked it
It was a well-written mystery, but none of the characters were terribly appealing. The romance aspect was pretty much killed by how negative the male narrator was toward his love interest - physically, emotionally, verbally- criticism is not terribly romantic.
Janet
Jul 02, 2011 Janet rated it liked it
This is a crime novel with a romantic interest. I liked the story line and characters, liked the love interest, didn't care much for the sex scenes and language that was there in places, although it wasn't as bad as most romance novels.
Lynn Pribus
Apr 21, 2013 Lynn Pribus rated it it was amazing
I read this a long time ago, but I've always loved Susan Isaacs. And Magic Hour is a wonderful term for the gloaming of sunrise and sunset when photos are always better -- golden light and long shadows.
Kim Whitley-Gaynor
I’m surprised so many disliked this book. It is my favorite Susan Isaacs' novel about a ballsy woman and a cop. Lighter reading for sure, but I loved his sense of humor and observances.
Maurean
Feb 18, 2011 Maurean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun read;a comical suspense that follows the mystery of who killed Sy Spencer, the famous producer -- wife #1? wife #2? or the newest starlett who was sharing his bed?
Karen
Aug 17, 2011 Karen rated it it was amazing
Another entertaining book but different than other Isaacs' books in that she writes in the voice of a male homicide detective. I thoroughly enjoyed this one.
Rob
Jun 02, 2013 Rob added it
Shelves: re-read
This really should be on my To-Read list. It entertained me at a young age, but, I am curious to see how I will take it as an adult.
Fangirl
Nov 04, 2009 Fangirl rated it liked it
It was a long time ago that I read this book. I do remember that I enjoyed it, but no details or characters really stuck with me.
Raisu
A book that - despite being published in the early 90's - just screams 80's to me. And not in a good way.
Tiffany
Jan 12, 2011 Tiffany rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Susan Isaacs' books and this one is fun. A good mystery and a quick read...very fun.
J
Aug 31, 2011 J rated it liked it
This was one of my in between books. It was a respite between two "heavy" books.
Renee
Jul 27, 2009 Renee rated it really liked it
susan isaacs is a sharp, witty writer. there are TOO MANY cuss words, though : (
Dianne
Jan 12, 2009 Dianne rated it it was amazing
I've read all of Susan Isaacs novels - this one is my favorite. Great read.
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
I just didn't manage to get into this book and stopped after page 200...
Linda
Dec 21, 2010 Linda rated it liked it
A murder mystery. Held my interest, but not earth-shattering.
Jennifer Edwards
Jul 15, 2008 Jennifer Edwards rated it it was amazing
My favorite of all of her books.
Anne Marie
Excellent vacation reading!
Joanne Timm
Nov 15, 2009 Joanne Timm rated it really liked it
A good read
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Drink of Deadly Wine
  • Cold Cold Heart
  • Happy Are the Clean of Heart (Blackie Ryan, #2)
  • Gun Work (Hard Case Crime #49)
  • The Killing Man
  • Private Pleasures
  • Ring of Truth (Marie Lightfoot, #2)
  • Perfect (Kick Keswick, #3)
  • Spellbinder
  • Dead in the Water (Rebecca Schwartz, #4)
  • Sequence
  • Manhattan Nocturne
  • A Ruling Passion
  • Poison in the Pen (Miss Silver, #29)
  • Wolf to the Slaughter (Inspector Wexford, #3)
  • Fright (Hard Case Crime #34)
  • Murder At Madingley Grange
Susan Isaacs is a recipient of the Writers for Writers Award and the John Steinbeck Award. She serves as chairman of the board of Poets & Writers and is a past president of Mystery Writers of America. She is also a member of the National Book Critics Circle, The Creative Coalition, PEN, the American Society of Journalists and Authors, the International Association of Crime Writers, and the Ada ...more
More about Susan Isaacs...