A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows, #2)

A Fortress of Grey Ice (Sword of Shadows #2)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  3,001 ratings  ·  48 reviews
"Wonderful . . . J.V. Jones is a striking writer." So says Robert Jordan, the author of The Wheel of Time epic fantasy series. And Jones lives up to that praise in the highly charged epic adventure of Ash March and Raif Sevrance, two outcasts whose fates are entwined by fate and by need, in the cold, dark world that threatens to be torn asunder by a war to end all wars. Th...more
Published August 1st 2004 by Tor Fantasy (first published March 1st 2001)

The Name of the Wind by Patrick RothfussHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. RowlingA Storm of Swords by George R.R. MartinHarry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J.K. Rowling
Best Fantasy Books of the 21st Century
349th out of 1,311 books — 4,617 voters
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienEnder's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank HerbertThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsHarry Potter Boxset by J.K. Rowling
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Must Reads
485th out of 1,212 books — 1,251 voters

More lists with this book...

Martin Wilson
It's been four or five years since I read this, so I might misremember some details, and possibly get details mixed up with the sequel. The two blend together and suffer from exactly the same problems, only further exacerbated in the third book.

This series suffers from what, with the benefit of hindsight, I would like to call "Song of Ice and Fire" syndrome. The first book is great fun, tightly packed with a strong central plot and a lot of characters. Then as the series goes on, it loses focus...more
Tassia
One of the first times the second book has been better than the first. The writing was much stronger, and I found I cared deeply for the characters, Effie Sevrance most notably. There are very dark themes at play, and I was moved to tears a couple times. Great book, great series, great author. Can't wait to finish it.
Mark
A soap opera with frost barbarians. Multiple characters separately dealing with changing times at the northern edge of a fantasy world. A good read, a slowly building plot, where magic from an ancient race threatens the entire weird. a bit heavy on introspection, a little light on action
Leon Botha
This book reminds of the GRRM style of writing; lots of pages filled with wonderful drawings of characters, but seemingly no intention of advancing the plot (Not intended be derogatory; I'm simply not a fan of filling paper with words with no clear purpose). I concede that Book 2 is likely aimed at creating a framework for what's to follow. Even so, I cannot rate it very high. Make no mistake, the writing is good, character development (all 9 or 10 of the PoV characters) was done expertly and th...more
Nora
This one took me forever to read, but that was more based on me and my desire to read than the book, I think, because once I really sat down to read it, I finished it in one day.

The clan storyline continues to be the strongest, for sure. Effie and Raina and the Dog Lord are all interesting to read about, and I even warmed up to the new POV of Bram. Raif was kind of hit or miss for me this book, but Ash easily knocked a star off my rating. Her storyline in this book is almost a complete waste.

I...more
Bogdan Nicolae Capitanoiu
How does it feel so far?
I am scared as not enough books in the series, either planned or written! but we should be OK, as 4 are out and the last is 3/(2) years in.
Why JV , why u do not have a online presence...? what sells is only hype..and I mean sells= drives the interest, and hopefully 47% of the writer Muse.

What's not clear yet?
Hey JV, u chose to bring (in) 2 Opposition point of views, and yet to provide the incentive to keep on readin'(like Robbin was saying...worst writer's fear)
The cruxes...more
Rob Donovan
I had high hopes for J V Jones’ first book in the, “the Sword of Shadows” series and I was pleasantly surprised when “A Cavern of Black Ice” met all of them. Reviews heralded Jones as an author similar in style with George R R Martin, I agreed to an extant but also found a smidge of Abercrombie and a hint of Jennifer Fallon in there as well.
Knowing there was a long wait between books, I waited a long time to read the second book in the hope that the final book will be released when I get to it....more
Michael Evans
Another solid page-turner from Jones.
See my review of the first novel in this series; everything holds true for the second in this series:
- a strongly-built, detailed world that feels believable
- amazing attention to characters and their development, which draws the reader into every chapter
- unfortunately also, the detailed writing that builds so much of the story earlier in the book, becomes a barrier to quick, striking story-telling by the climax of the book.

Unfortunately, there were two thin...more
Eric Leblanc
This is the second book of the Sword of Shadow serie by JV Jones. In contrast to the first book, this one was slower paced, most likely because the focus of the book shifted from the main characters of the first book to introduce new ones, or expand some that were already introduced in the first book. I enjoy this serie tremendously so far, I like the complexity of the characters, I like that I would like to kick some of them in their faces while at the same time recognizing that they do bring s...more
Jason Williams
I am just enjoying the heck out of this series. I can hardly wait to purchase book 3 for my nook. J.V. Jones has put together quite the series, so far.

My biggest complaint with book one, "The Cavern of Black Ice", was at times it seemed long winded. Not so with "TFoGI". I was just sucked right into Jones' icy world.

Jones has created a story that makes me determined to find out what becomes of Raif, Ash and Angus Lok, and that is exactly what she is supposed to do.

There was one confusing part of...more
Graham
I really enjoyed the book as a continuation of the Sword of Shadows trilogy. I find JV Jones an interesting author who displays a great understanding of the fantasy genre. Her main characters are well fleshed out and the storyline is really captivating.

As with many other authors in this genre she follows the practice of devolving the story into numerous threads. The plus to this approach is the story has a great deal of depth and detail. The downside is I tend to want to follow the major charac...more
Kiel Van Horn
Sequel to A Cavern of Black Ice. The main characters were separated from each other in this one: Ash went off with the Sull at the beginning, leaving Raif behind in a strange scene that isn't executed well. He tries to follow her but gets involved with the Maimed Men. Jones explores their harsh little culture for a while, but his honor from his clan clashes with the intent of the Maimed Men leadership and he goes off on his own to find the Fortress. Fortress was pretty cool as she describes it....more
Marit
This second installment in the Sword of Shadows series picks up the pace considerably and broadens its array of heroes. More characters take center stage, ones of different ages, cultures, talents/knowledge, and agendas which helps add depth and variety to this harsh, winter-locked fantasy world. Raif and Ash, the two leads from the previous novel, still play a large role but have now split apart and are enmeshed in different worlds: the violent, unpredictable Maimed Men realm and the haunting,...more
Kalle
Starting to read a fantasy novel series from the second book isn't the smartest thing to do; not only have you no idea what happened in the first novel, you're lost with the terminology and lore. It definitely took some time to get adjusted to this one, but once I got into it, there was no turning back. Maybe it could've done with one or two less POV-characters, but then again, the chapters aren't that long, so even if you didn't care for a few of the characters, there was something else coming...more
Abikoye Olufemi
The book deserves a 4.5. better than the first book. slow but worth its till lives many cliffhangers, which i
makes it enjoyable and puts anticipation on to the next book, just the holes in the plot lines can be unsettling especially in view of folklore and history. on to the next
Mark
These are dark books. Nothing good happens to anyone, anywhere. We follow numerous characters, and almost all are complex, and not easily defined. I love it.
At this point I am now thoroughly entrenched in the story of this world. I can't wait to get into the third book, even though I see some party dire circumstances on the horizon.
I went into this series expecting a basic swords and sorcery series. Perhaps something like what I used to read. While it has a bit of those things, this is more ab...more
Michael
This is an excellent tale. JV Jones is a spectacular storyteller and she is hitting her stride on this one. The first one was setting it up. It's a series, not a single book. Good job!
Mark
Well. As the second in a series of books, this one disappointed. It was really boring for most of the book. I skipped over dozens of paragraphs just to get through it at a normal pace. What disappointed me the most was how ungrateful Ash became of Raif? **small spoiler as it happens in the beginning of the book** (she jut runs off with the Sull - it was like dumping him because he is a Yugo and the Sull are BMW's)The man stuck with you for no other reason than he felt honor bound and he defended...more
Jim
A little slower read than the first book in the series, but it starts to bring the lead characters into a better light on where the story is heading.
Del de la Mare
Really enjoyed this, the second book in the Sword of Shadows trilogy.

The main characters from the first book are followed as their story unfolds. New characters also are introduced and their story followed. I predict great things for Bram for instance, Robbie Doone not so much.

The book is well paced, well written and fairly unputdownable.

The only slight criticism is that the final few chapters especially those concerning Raif, the fortress and the Shatan feel a little rushed.
Chomal
Loved this book since the very beginning. Vivid details of different horrors, Unmade and sorcery were astonishing but then my excitement dropped when it came to the last battle of Raif vs. Shatan Maer. It looked like Jones had been in a hurry to finish the book. A heart-killing, young clansman fighting the most powerful creature that had ever lived was a little heart breaking which made me give only 3 stars to what could've been 4. But still, a good read.
Noah
It was just as good as I remembered it to be. I really like her writing style, it's easy on my eyes without being overly descriptive to the point of insanity (I find some fantasy writers can be, which makes reading frustrating for me since I can be a bit of an impatient reader). The thing I like most about JV Jones's books is there's no unnecessary obligatory female nudity either. Plus I absolute adore Raif, I think he's wonderful.
David de Beer
ok, the first book was kind of slow although I did enjoy Jones' wonderful evocative writing, her eye for making the world visually leap to life [the tundra is just a bit of a non-inspiring setting, unfortunately], but here the story picks up a lot of momentum, with me turning the pages quicker and quicker to see what's going to happen. It's a fun ride so far, and I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Todd
I enjoyed this book more than the first. which is surprising considering the many reviews on how boring and long winded the story is. But I felt the first book was all of those complaints. At least this book showed me a pretty good look into the world and engaged me in the character development. Ive read all four books and I feel with the ach Jones gets better and find the direction her story is going.
RogueHireling
Another book I should be adding to my supposed abandoned shelf.
I found the first book alright, interesting enough to try the second.

Not quite sure what compels authors to completely dismantle all relationship they have built from one book to the next, but that's clearly what happens in this second installment.

It just happened to dismantle my relationship with the book as well.
Kerry
Enjoyed this second book in the JV Jones' Sword of Shadow series. The story is progressing slowly, but I like many of the main characters so I don't mind. Jones descriptions and details are unique and rich. Her work reminds me of Jordan, Goodkind, and Martin with it wonderful world-building and complex story line. I can't wait to continue with book 3.
Ben
I thought J.V. Jones really improved the writing style around character POVs in this book. Several new characters were introduced (Crope I liked especially) who had a different way of viewing the world. I thought these perspectives really provided a freshness to the book and made me excited/sad everytime I left/entered a new characters POV.
Mzungo
better than the first one, but still flawed. Descriptions of surroundings are still repetitive (though references to ice are -- thankfully -- dramatically reduced). I also found the conclusion underwhelming. This is basically just a set up for the next book.
Robin
Very good stuff. One of the best fantasy series' that I've read. Character driven, layered and complex story lines. Check this series out if you enjoy character development, and a plot that isn't just fighting, traveling, and regrouping to repeat it.
Phleghm
The flaws from the first book that I could hang out with before, have grown in size, made babies and are having a party. While I am not one to dislike a party, this one is just wrong. Too consuming.

Babies and parties dont go together. *shivers*
  • The Blood Knight (Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone, #3)
  • The First Chronicles of Druss the Legend (Drenai Saga, #6)
  • Children of the Serpent Gate (Tears of Artamon, #3)
  • The White Order (The Saga of Recluce #8)
  • Child of Flame (Crown of Stars, #4)
  • The Other Lands (Acacia, #2)
  • Fortress Draconis (The DragonCrown War Cycle, #1)
  • Mistress of the Catacombs (Lord of the Isles, #4)
  • Grand Conspiracy (Wars of Light & Shadow #5; Arc 3 - Alliance of Light, #2)
  • The Rats and the Ruling Sea (The Chathrand Voyage, #2)
  • The Lair of Bones (Runelords, #4)
  • The King's Own (Borderlands, #2)
  • Toll the Hounds (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #8)
  • An Autumn War (Long Price Quartet, #3)
Julie Victoria Jones was born in Liverpool, England. She has been writing for seven years, and is currently working on her sixth novel, which will be titled A Fortress of Grey Ice. She lives in San Diego, California.

All three books in The Book Of Words Trilogy are #1 national bestsellers, and have been bought for publication in England, Poland, Russia, Germany, France and Holland. Her fifth book,...more
More about J.V. Jones...
A Cavern of Black Ice (Sword of Shadows, #1) The Baker's Boy (Book of Words, #1) Master and Fool (Book of Words, #3) A Man Betrayed (Book of Words, #2) A Sword from Red Ice (Sword of Shadows, #3)

“There were no stars, or if they were they shone like volcanic glass.” 4 likes