Start by marking “Claude Rains: An Actor's Voice” as Want to Read:
Claude Rains: An Actor's Voice

Claude Rains: An Actor's Voice

4.13  ·  Rating Details  ·  30 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Born into the English working class, Claude Rains (1889-1967) overcame a severe speech impediment to become a fixture of the London theater scene. Rains's personal life was as dramatic as his work onstage: to end his second marriage while masking his wife's alcoholism, he staged an episode of infidelity, though the ensuing scandal made it difficult for him to find work. In ...more
Published November 7th 2008 by University Press of Kentucky (first published November 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Claude Rains, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Claude Rains

Daniel
Dec 03, 2008 Daniel rated it really liked it
Amazingly this is the first biography of Rains and it is has a great deal of information that will come as news to his fans. One wishes it could have been written forty years ago when when many of his contemporaries were still alive. Once he reaches his Hollywood the films rush by with no more than an anecdote or two for most of them. Still this is as good a bio as we're likely to get, with Skal having access to a couple of dozen of hours of interviews that were done with Rains for a prospective ...more
Cecilia
Mar 02, 2009 Cecilia rated it liked it
A strong biography, written about one of film's forgotten men...the character actor. Never really succeeding as a leading man, Claude Rains made the most impact with tough, powerful supporting roles, such as Louis in Casablanca or Alex the Nazi in Hitchcock's Masterpiece Notorious. Written by David Skal, a film historian and biographer, as well as by Rains' only child, Jessica, this book vividly tells the story of a man who didn't monopolize Hollywood, he just captivated it.
Yasmin
Feb 27, 2014 Yasmin rated it really liked it
This is my second book by David J. Skal and it is quite good. I have been interested in Claude Rains' early start in London and the life he had before and around Hollywood. Without going into too personal details, which I'm not interested in, this book achieved the things I would have liked to know. Unfortunately as per with most biographies I have read so far there is too little on anecdotes between actors and other actors/actresses, or how some became friends.
j_ay
Apr 20, 2011 j_ay rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
Fine enough, but it would have been nice to have some meat on the bones of this 183 page biography. Far less credible ‘stars’ are out there with bios that easily more than double this page-count. Surely there are other sources the author could have drawn from to flesh out the work.
A nice film and stage listing at the back.
Laurie
Dec 03, 2008 Laurie rated it it was amazing
A very informative book about one of the great cinematic character actors of our time of which I for one knew very little about. I would recommend this to anyone with a love for classic stage or cinema. Truly a story about a man who had to overcome considerable odds to become a success.
Stephen
Aug 16, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
A great biography of a truly remarkable actor. Knowing about his origins, his work ethic and even the demons he fought makes me appreciate him so much more. The book itself read very quickly, leading to my only complaint of wanting more information about the films.
Sjfstudio
Apr 19, 2011 Sjfstudio rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography
One of my favorite actors profiled in this interesting biography. A little "dry", but informative and of interest to anyone having seen this actor's work.
Shane Steele
Shane Steele rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2015
James T.
James T. marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Mindy Schroen
Mindy Schroen marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
linda m huetson
linda m huetson rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2015
Helen Bradley
Helen Bradley rated it liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Roxanne
Roxanne marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Harrie
Harrie marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Janet Green
Janet Green rated it really liked it
Feb 25, 2015
April
April rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2015
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Mickey Asteriou
Mickey Asteriou rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
Kl Baudelaire
Kl Baudelaire marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2014
Richard Bennett
Richard Bennett rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2014
Tina
Tina rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2014
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Monica
Monica rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2014
Jackie Isaac
Jackie Isaac rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2015
Galit
Galit marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2014
Amanda Nuñez
Amanda Nuñez marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2014
Jools
Jools marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Hannah Rush
Hannah Rush marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2014
Abbie
Abbie marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
Flyss Williams
Flyss Williams marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
David J. Skal became fascinated with monsters at the height of the 1962 Cuban missile crisis, when indestructible monsters like Dracula, Frankenstein and the Wolf Man provided a "nuclear security blanket" for a whole generation of youngsters.

Active as an editor and reporter on his high school newspaper, he was granted a journalism scholarship to Ohio University, Athens, where he earned a bachelor'
More about David J. Skal...