Dragonsword (Dragonsword, #1)

Dragonsword (Dragonsword #1)

3.23 of 5 stars 3.23  ·  rating details  ·  119 ratings  ·  7 reviews
When a pretty, quiet grad student discovers a door into another world, little does she realize that she is about to set out on the greatest adventure of her life! For the door is the mystical portal to the land of Gryylth, and Suzanne holds the fate of a world in her hands!
Published December 1st 1988 by Lynx Books (first published 1988)

Daniel
This was, I think, the second fantasy book I ever read. I remember starting it, and then looking at all of the pages I had left to read and thinking, Wow, this will take some work.

It did, and looking back now, I'm surprised I finished this book. I didn't like it as much as the first fantasy I'd read - a Dragonlance book - and I was surprised by some of the sexuality in the book. Little did I know that Gael Baudino is much more adult than your average Dragonlance book.

Still, this book has a speci...more
Kat
Lots of cool ideas, not the best execution in the world. I'm a sucker for a good portal fantasy, but the main characters mostly came off as self-involved jerks, especially the rapey male protag, who was the worst kind of caricature. He had his redemptive moment, but it felt like it came out of nowhere. And for a book espousing the ways of peace, the battle scenes sure do take forever. I won't be revisiting this one.
Rob
Aug 11, 2007 Rob rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, maybe
If I recall correctly, my mom picked this one up for me from a bargain basket somewhere. As I was working through the Weis/Hickman DragonLance books at the time, I think the connection was made there. This was ... well, an average fantasy effort that seems (in retrospect) like the author's attempt at dissecting the genre's popularity through its own narrative. (Or some such pretentious thing.)

While it wasn't all together bad, it was also not particularly memorable.
K.l. Tremaine
A solid fantasy story with a modern sensibility and much-needed deconstruction of the genre. Unfortunately, other authors did not take the invitation Baudino extended to examine the fundamentals of the genre.

In general I recommend the series for strong transgender themes & characters.
Jude
I enjoyed the depth given to the characters more than the actual story. This really is an up-close-and-personal look at the psyche of the main characters.
Rayvern
Managed to get through it.....just.
I was hoping the sequel would be better, but that's not proving to be the case so far.
Kristine
Very 80's post feminist Scifi
Erika Odom
Erika Odom marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Ed
Ed added it
Jun 08, 2014
C
C added it
Jun 05, 2014
J. Lynne
J. Lynne marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Brian
Brian added it
Jun 01, 2014
Hafny
Hafny marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Jim
Jim marked it as to-read
May 06, 2014
T J
T J is currently reading it
Apr 24, 2014
Rick Stevens
Rick Stevens marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Melanie
Melanie marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2014
Meaghan
Meaghan marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2014
Billie
Billie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Mark
Mark added it
Mar 22, 2014
Ian
Ian added it
Mar 16, 2014
Dianna
Dianna marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Strands of Starlight (Strands, #1) Gossamer Axe Maze of Moonlight (Strands, #2) Strands of Sunlight (Strands, #4) Shroud of Shadow (Strands, #3)