Start by marking “Ayala's Angel” as Want to Read:
Ayala's Angel

Ayala's Angel

3.92  ·  Rating Details  ·  284 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Ayala and her sister Lucy are penniless orphans whose relations seem to know what is best for them. Ayala is taken in by the family of their 'Bullionaire' uncle, but riches can not tempt her to relinquish her ideal of an 'Angel of Light'. And in an unfashionable part of London, Lucy tries to accept a world of genteel poverty where mending linen is to be her chief amusement ...more
Paperback, Trollope, Penguin #45, 640 pages
Published August 2nd 1994 by Penguin Classics (first published 1881)

To ask other readers questions about Ayala's Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ayala's Angel

Ellie
Ayala's Angel by Anthony Trollope is delightful. Although he was older when he wrote this book (his 80th book!), the story and characters are sweet. Ayala and her sister Lucy are orphaned and taken off to their aunts and uncles. Ayala goes at first to the wealthy family and Lucy to the poorer one. Thus begins their trials in pursuit of love and marriage. Ayala is blocked in her quest by her vision of an "angel"-an impossible dream of a creature above everything and everyone. The story, which chr ...more
Tristram
What Is One of This World’s Things Least Interesting to Read About?

I am quite sure that everyone will have a different Number 1 on their list of things they quickly tire reading about, and maybe there will even be varying ideas as to the second-least interesting thing to read about. However, I am also sure that love stories centering on the fates of young heroes and heroines can also soon become a bore to many readers unless they are gory like Romeo and Juliet because we usually know well in adv
Mary Ronan Drew
Jan 11, 2015 Mary Ronan Drew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A first-time Trollope reader
Shelves:
Ayala's Angel is of my favorite Trollope novels, which says something. Part of the appeal of this book is the primary love story between Ayala Dormer, an impecunious orphan of about 18, and Colonel Jonathan Stubbs, the red-haired, homely, but attractive gentleman who loves her.

Ayala is attracted to the charming Colonel Stubbs from the moment she meets him in a ballroom in Rome, but Ayala has in her mind an Angel of Light, a man handsome above all others, a prince among men, a man of integrity an
Jim
Oct 09, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trollope
I have read enough of Trollope to realize that the travails of getting married constitutes one of his grand themes. In Ayala's Angel, we have no fewer than four couples who are trying to overcome the insuperable barrier of so and so many pounds per annum. (It seems that no gentleman got anything so mean as a regular salary: Everything was tied up in the funds and based on the interest on property.)

Trollope is perhaps more sympathetic than any other Victorian novelist on the difficulties of a gir
Pgchuis
Sep 21, 2015 Pgchuis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of two young women, Ayala and Lucy, whose parents die leaving no money and who are therefore taken in by relatives. Apart from the romances of these two sisters and their cousins, there is no other plot to speak of. Ayala, the younger, livelier sister, receives no fewer than three proposals, but rejects them all because she dreams of an ideal lover she thinks of as "an angel of light". I have to say that this theme is not as overdone as I feared it might be and Ayala does in the end co ...more
Charlotte
The title caught my eye because I'd never heard of it--turns out with good reason. One of the last of Trollope's 47 novels, he wrote it in less than 4 months, and it shows. It reads like he sat down and wrote without a plan. At that point he'd become so popular it probably didn't matter. I recommend any of the Barsetshire novels or the EUSTACE DIAMONDS.
David
May 08, 2007 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: trollope
Although Trollope's later novels generally paint a darker world than his earlier ones, Ayala's Angel is an exception. The novel is filled with the romances of lots of characters. None of the romances turn out miserably and most of them turn out to be quite happy. Thoroughly delightful.
Hope
Ayala's Angel begins with the plight of two orphaned sisters who are shuffled off to different relatives. Ayala goes to the rich uncle and Lucy to the poor one. Both experience culture shock because neither girl has known the stinginess of poverty or the arrogance of wealth.

Ayala has a dream of an “Angel of Light” who will come and take her away from the tediousness of her life. This novel is a study of romantic love. Ayala’s idea of it is so overblown that she almost misses her chance at happin
K.
Jul 12, 2010 K. rated it really liked it
Great book, although not as great as any in the Barsetshire Chronicles. Very fun and lighthearted read with some interesting interjections about how we let self-betrayal and/or even our dreams mar or get in the way of our happiness.

Would be a terrific first Trollope for anyone unfamiliar with him.

Ayala, the main character, (however you say her name), is not as much the heroine as either Imogene or Lucy (her sister) in my opinion. She's pretty silly, and destructively self-willed. At one point
Ivy Read
Jun 25, 2013 Ivy Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
J’aime beaucoup les classiques mais, c’est souvent à reculons que je me lance dans leurs lectures. Surement des restes de lectures obligatoires subies à l’école…
Néanmoins, celui-ci est arrivé avec sa si jolie couverture et même la vue de ce pavé de 660 pages n’a pas réussi à me décourager. Il faut dire aussi que le résumé avait de quoi me charmer. Et puis, la couverture est vraiment jolie, elle dégage une certaine impression de sérénité, très agréable. Ce roman était tout d’abord publié en ro
Riodelmartians
Oct 23, 2011 Riodelmartians rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read a100 pages so far and it is up there with The Duke's Children..four couples made up of rich, poor, sly, and arrogant. Haven't seen cluelessness yet although Ayala is definitely naive. Just 100 pages left and I definitely sympathize with sir Thomas tringle as he bails his crazy daughters and son out of jams. But then, he and his wife did spoil them. Sir Thomas has the best script and dialogue while his wife has the most humorous deadpan lines. How the American ladies toy with young Thom ...more
Julie Bye
Jun 12, 2015 Julie Bye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly enjoyable read, Ayala's Angel is reminiscent of Jane Austen's novels. It is surprising that a male author writes romance as successfully. This book had none of the awkward literary devices of The American Senator. The characters are believable and the dialogue witty and while there was no real suspense as ti the outcome reading this novel is an enjoyable way to spend an afternoon.
Jennifer Griffith
Another fun Trollope story, this time about two sisters who are orphaned, left to the care of relatives (one set wealthy, the other...not) and how they ultimately each find a husband. One sister is practical, the other has her head in the clouds and will only settle for the "angel of light" she has dreamed up for herself as a suitor. The big question is whether the heart knows what it really wants. I loved these characters, the predicaments, and as always, Trollope's superior understanding of th ...more
Bonnie Grant-baird
I like anything that Trollope writes
Joy
Aug 23, 2009 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joy by: Sharon
I've attempted to read other works by Trollope and bounced off them hard. This one was a pleasant surprise; though the maneuvers that eventually united the two sisters with their respective lovers were quite predictable, the execution was still likable. I must say, however, that all of the references to Ayala's Angel made me laugh and laugh and left me wondering if Trollope wrote the entire thing with tongue firmly in cheek. (I am sure he is laughing at his characters some of the time; I am just ...more
Miriam
Jan 14, 2009 Miriam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this even though there was this one glaring inconsistency - Sir Thomas intercepts a letter from one of his daughters to her impecunious lover and tears it to bits, but several chapters later the daughter finds said letter, seemingly whole, among her father's papers. It's hard to hold that against the book though considering there are a couple dozen characters, including a few delightfully horrible ones, and about as many schemes and love affairs given attention and depth. Comple ...more
Lucy
Jan 21, 2013 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very typical Trollope: I love the way he steps outside and addresses the reader directly. As is common with many of his novels though, there is a sense that he was waffling a bit to make up the three volumes, and of course he clearly never reread a single word. But he's still more readable than anyone except the Master. (Dickens, of course, who else?) And Tom Tringle with his jewellery is an absolute gem.
Cynthia
Aug 30, 2007 Cynthia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves classic novels
Shelves: trollope
Compulsively readable, this is one of those rare books I can't wait to get back to every day. I am rereading all my Trollopes; dug this one out of the basement and it's sooo good that I don't even mind all the mildew on the cover. He is a master at capturing the perplexing and often self-defeating ways that we all act when a) in love b) trying to figure out our future.
Shannon Hill
Nov 17, 2012 Shannon Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: society-is-silly
This was my first Trollope read and I loved it. Just enough romance, just enough sarcasm, just enough realism. Adored it! I didn't so much "read" as I listed to the audiobook from Libravox in the car and I must give props to the reader. I have so many frustrations with the Libravox voices, but hers was absolutely perfect and really added to the experience.
Heather
Sep 09, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: librivox
I agree with what some others have said - that this Trollope work is somewhat disjointed and sloppy compared to his others. That aspect was very surprising after reading so many other of his novels. In true Trollope style the characters in Ayala's Angel are believable and endearing even with their flaws. I wish this would be made into a movie.
Jacqui
Jan 23, 2013 Jacqui rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-classic
An entertaining read. Some laugh out loud moments but plenty of extraneous details too which slowed things down a bit. Sometimes they added to the humour but mostly not. 19th Century novels tend to wrap things up too much though, reminds me of Jane Austen's thorough endings for her characters also.
Miss Clark
My favorite character is Mr. Tringle. He has some of the most hilarious lines!

As for Ayala. Well, I wanted to slap her out the little la-la land she was living in, but, overall, and especially for a Trollope, an enjoyable "classic" read.
Julie
Jul 03, 2014 Julie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've developped a taste for Anthony Trollope, it would seem, but this one wasn't my favorite, to date. It felt overlong and a bit light on plot, with a few unfinished stories, like that of Ayala's sister Lucy.
Athena
Mar 10, 2010 Athena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Trollope is an odd duck, but some of his characters (including Ayala) are rather endearing.
She's a stubborn, idealistic girl whose notions of what a man should be conflict with the realities of every man she meets.
Peri
Dec 24, 2008 Peri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have finally managed to get my own copy of this. All other books are on hold until I re-read this book - it is better than I remember.

I enjoyed this even more 2nd time around - it is one of his best imho.
Peter Fullilove
"A House is a bore. Calling is a bore. A wife is an unendurable bore. All laws are bores.' I'm sure Mr Hamel would agree with me in saying that this novel, like so many things, was a bore.
Lady of the Lake
Trollope is one if my favorite "classic" authors. I love his sense of romamce and how he writes his characters. This was a great read and a classic that doesn't feel "dated".
Carolyn Geason
an absolutely indulgent tale a pure pleasure from start to finish. trollope truly is a champion of character development and depiction.
Marge
Oct 28, 2013 Marge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics-british
I found this to be one of the most charming and delightful novels I have ever read! My wonderful Mr. Trollope triumphs again!
Ginny
Mar 24, 2015 Ginny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fun read. Lighter than some, but still thought-provoking.
Exploring Anthony...: Ayala's Angel 1 3 Dec 17, 2013 10:03AM
  • Mr. Harrison's Confessions
  • Miss Marjoribanks (Chronicles of Carlingford, #5)
  • Trollope
  • The Egoist
  • The History of Pendennis: His Fortunes And Misfortunes, His Friends And His Greatest Enemy
  • A Laodicean: A Story of Today (Everyman Library)
  • The Nether World
  • Sketches by Boz
  • The Job
  • To Let
20524
Anthony Trollope became one of the most successful, prolific and respected English novelists of the Victorian era. Some of Trollope's best-loved works, known as the Chronicles of Barsetshire, revolve around the imaginary county of Barsetshire; he also wrote penetrating novels on political, social, and gender issues and conflicts of his day.

Trollope has always been a popular novelist. Noted fans ha
More about Anthony Trollope...