Start by marking “Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)” as Want to Read:
Forging the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #1)

Forging the Darksword (The Darksword #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details ·  7,890 Ratings  ·  105 Reviews
In the enchanted realm of Merilon, magic is life.

Born without magical abilities and denied his birthright, Joram is left for dead. Yet he grows to manhood in a remote country village, hiding his lack of powers only through constant vigilance and ever more skillful sleight-of-hand.

Forced to kill a man in self-defense, Joram can keep his secret from the townspeople no longer
Mass Market Paperback, 391 pages
Published January 1988 by Spectra (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Forging the Darksword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forging the Darksword

Werner
Mar 03, 2015 Werner marked it as started-and-not-finished
This isn't an actual review of the book (since I only read the first six chapters), just a short explanation of why I didn't finish it. This is one I was reading out loud to my wife, but neither of us were getting into it. (As Barb put it, "It's not getting any worse, but it's not getting any better, either.")

Normally, we both like the fantasy genre, so we were game to experiment with two new-to-us authors, having found the trilogy at a yard sale. But to me, the world-building here wasn't very p
Jay
Aug 05, 2015 Jay rated it did not like it
I keep acquiring these Weis books out of some misplaced nostalgia or unknowable impulse. Perhaps because I liked the Dragonlance characters, but never read her books. I never finish them. I've tried at least four. I asked a friend why this might be. She said, "Well, didn't they suck? Quit buying everything with a sword and a logo."
Samuel Elizondo
Feb 24, 2016 Samuel Elizondo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, 5-stars
En mi opinión, es un excelent libro, a pesar de las malas críticas que llegue a leer aqui. Demasiado bien escrito, lleno de intriga y una buena historia, recomendado al 100%.

Excelent book, perfectly written, with an amazing story! 100% must read if you like fantasy!
David
Oct 06, 2009 David rated it really liked it
I got this trilogy from a rental store. I wasn't expecting much of it given it's poor condition at the time but I decided to try it as I noted that it was written by the ones who wrote the Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy.

Boy was I surprised. It turned out to be another original work coming from those two and it was an atypical fantasy story. The protagonist and the supporting characters are very well fleshed out and very interesting - the bitter and unloved Joram, the amusing but enigmatic Simkin
Sam Grace
May 01, 2008 Sam Grace rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: copy machine drones with no other books onhand
God, I KNOW Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman suck. Man, my middle school obsession was Dragonlance, for goodness' sake! But it was just sitting there in my office while I was babysitting the copy machine, so I picked it up. And, just as I remember, every character is undeveloped, every event forced, the only thing they've got going on is some half-decent worldbuilding and the sorta pathetic twist that the "evil Sorcerors" (secretly the good guys, right?) are actually NON-magic users in a world of ...more
Pam
Jun 07, 2015 Pam added it
Nope, don't remember this one at all. Clearly recommended to me in 1995 by my boyfriend, Joey...hee hee he's my husband now...this is not the type of book I typically chose then or now. I have a list that says I finished it on 7/14/1995, so I'll go ahead and believe that. But, since it's a trilogy and I never read anymore books in the trilogy...not sure how much I enjoyed it. Good to see I was branching out back then, though!

entered into goodreads: 6/7/2015

PS Just asked my former boyfriend if he
Alex
Apr 03, 2017 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book called to me as a teenager. Sadly, a teenager with very little money for books, and my friend's library, which I continually raided, didn't include this one. It was me, afterall, who had the slight Dragonlance fetish. It seems too easy to get hold of these things these days and so perhaps slightly obscure books with butch men forging swords on the cover have lost their otherworldly charm and mystique a little, and yet I still felt a l little boyish excitement picking this up, despite t ...more
Angie
Feb 13, 2011 Angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book and read it only because it was given to me as a gift. The beginning was great.. though I will say the end kinda slowed down. I will read the next two books. Glad for once a series does not go on and on and on. I am interested to see how the "prince" was saved from being killed.
Richard
Dec 01, 2010 Richard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The trilogy that got me into reading as a teenager. My rating probably reflects this. It's a great one for teenagers just getting into fantasy books etc...
Ithlilian
Jan 12, 2011 Ithlilian rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy
I wasn't going to write a review on this book since I had a negative experience with it, but after a look at the other negative reviews I felt the need to give an educated opinion on Forging the Darksword. The sequence of events in the beginning of the novel is a bit hard to get into, but I enjoyed the events being presented, so I continued reading. Though I usually don't like books that start when an ending and then go back in time, I continued with this one because it wasn't really the ending, ...more
Chandra
Apr 04, 2013 Chandra rated it really liked it
A very different fantasy novel set in a world where magic is the norm and the non-magical is considered an abomination. This is the reason fantasy exists. To examine issues that occur in modern times, but without all the baggage and politics that comes with those issues in reality. This is usually more effective than writing about an issue straight forwardly and allows readers and writers to explore the theme in safety.

From what I've read, this was inspired by groups which targeted Dungeons and
Simon
Apr 16, 2009 Simon rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Of all the Weis & Hickman books, this trilogy was my favourite. Looking back, it was the most original and interesting (in terms of characters, world building and premise). Far outshining the much beloved (and far more well known), formulaic "Dragonlance" books that preceeded it. Freed from the shackles of having to write a fantasy trilogy as a companion piece to the D&D module packs, they were able to explore their imagination more fully and structure the plot more appropriately.

Okay, i
Cass
Aug 16, 2012 Cass rated it really liked it
Very good. These two writer are a great pair. This one reminds me of their other books, which just made me content. Theme was dark and ... damp. Deliberate tempo, filling it with explanations and character building which I enjoyed, with pace raising at the end. They created an interesting and believable form of magic, called "Life" and showed how this reality developed routines, predigests (against those who were Dead") even changed architecture by never cutting wood, stone but growing it instea ...more
Karen L
Nov 19, 2011 Karen L rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I read this book about twenty years-ago and it still sticks in my mind. The authors Tracy Hickam and Margaret Weis bring this world to life. Joram is a person on a world where magic reigns supreme. However, he has no magic in him so he has to survive on his wits. Along with another they create the Darksword. A sword that takes magic away from people when they are slashed with it. They go after the king who has turned into a despot. Men start coming after him for the sword and for his revolutiona ...more
Beatriz Hpz
Aug 20, 2016 Beatriz Hpz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este libro era justo lo que necesitaba: algo entretenido y ligero, fácil de leer. La historia parte de una idea de universo curiosa -un mundo donde lo raro es quien nace sin poderes mágicos- tiene toques cómicos y por supuesto acción y aventuras. Lo malo: Es difícil encontrar las continuaciones en español.
Carla Khoo
Jan 03, 2013 Carla Khoo rated it it was amazing
The Darksword Trilogy pull you into a world in need of a hero. Things aren't what they should be, but as it gets darker and darker under the pressure of the evil forces at hand, is there a light on the horizon?

I loved these books, and sadly, finished them within a week. They just pulled me in and made me a strange hermit recluse that only surfaced for meals. Enjoy!
Phil
Feb 17, 2011 Phil rated it really liked it
Probably the best in the series. I love the tarot references and the character of Simkin. Great high fantasy.
Doug Roberts
Jul 08, 2010 Doug Roberts rated it it was ok
An interesting start that petered out to a boring conclusion.
Melissa
Dec 25, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this series when I read it 10+ years ago. I remember a great story, quick pace, and how much I enjoyed the humor, wit, and transformations of Simpkin.
 ☆Ruth☆
Dec 15, 2014 ☆Ruth☆ rated it really liked it
Loved it! And will go straight into the next book of the trilogy.
Jason
Feb 24, 2013 Jason rated it liked it
Shelves: read-long-ago
More Margaret Weis that I could not get enough of as a teenager. The Darksword trilogy was great filler in between the many Dragonlance novels. These are the perfect young adult fantasy reads.
George
Aug 29, 2010 George rated it really liked it
My favorite trilogy when I was in High School. I've been meaning to re-read it and see if it was as awesome as I remember.
Krystal Hickam
Aug 04, 2013 Krystal Hickam rated it it was amazing
Just like the rest of the books she writes this is another fantastic book in the series and am looking forward to reading the rest of the series the next time I have a free spot to read a new book.
Bill Meehan
Mar 24, 2017 Bill Meehan rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned-fiction
Enjoyable, good read. Looking forward to the second book.
Shawn Camp
Mar 15, 2017 Shawn Camp rated it liked it
This was one of my favorites when I was growing up. Rereading though it came upon average. Merely like turning someone's d&d adventure to life. And at that time I was really into that.
Sarah Ehinger
Mar 14, 2017 Sarah Ehinger rated it really liked it
This book is full of anti heroes. A nice variation on the classic swords and wizardry.
David Sarkies
Feb 06, 2012 David Sarkies rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: People who really like fantasy
Recommended to David by: A friend from the library
Shelves: fantasy
A serious version of the first Xanth novel
6 February 2012

I have seen this setting, and in fact this plot, before - the Xanth novels. This trilogy is set in a world where everybody has a magical ability, except for the hero, Joram. Once again, this is much the same as the original Xanth novel, and as happened in the original Xanth novel, it turned out that Joram did have an ability: the ability to nullify magic.

This is another of those books that a friend of mine read and then gave to me tellin
Sara Forsberg
May 25, 2011 Sara Forsberg rated it really liked it
I started reading some of the Dragonlance novels quite a few years back, and I've always enjoyed the core books written by Weis & Hickman, so I decided to give their non-Dragonlance-related fantasy a shot. I love fantasy that came out in the '80s, they seem to have a particular soul and atmosphere to them that I like.

This book had its ups and downs for me, and it's more like 3 and a half stars than 4, but what tipped the balance from 3 to 4 for me was the way the writers developed this stor
Rhapsody
Jul 10, 2008 Rhapsody rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, fiction
This was a surprisingly good series. I almost dropped it a few times, for reasons I don't remember too clearly now, but on the whole it was a very worthwhile read with enough powerful elements to stick in my memory all these years later. In a world where everyone is born with magic, one boy is born with none. I guess I sympathized with the poor kid and his episodes of exhaustion and manic energy. It was also satisfying watching him receive his own special power that turned out to be so hardcore. ...more
Mark
Mar 31, 2014 Mark rated it liked it
I couldn't remember the name or author of this series, but I remember loving it many years ago. After some searching, I recognized the cover on Goodreads and downloaded it to my Kindle. I almost wish I hadn't, as the memory was so much better than the reality. I still think the story and characters are outstanding, making for engaging fiction, but the writing and editing is abysmal. At times, the run on sentences seem like endless torture. Adverbs are splattered across the page with reckless aba ...more
English 11 1B/D: forging the darksword 1 12 Nov 29, 2012 08:26AM
  • The Wyvern's Spur (Forgotten Realms: Finder's Stone, #2)
  • Stormblade (Dragonlance: Heroes, #2)
  • Black Wizards (Forgotten Realms: The Moonshae Trilogy, #2)
  • Kendermore (Dragonlance: Preludes, #2)
  • The Verdant Passage (Dark Sun: Prism Pentad, #1)
  • Knight of the Black Rose (Ravenloft, #2)
  • The Dragon King (Crimson Shadow, #3)
  • Firedrake (Dragonrealm, #1)
  • Cloak of Shadows (Forgotten Realms: Shadow of the Avatar, #2)
  • Riverwind the Plainsman (Dragonlance: Preludes, #4; Preludes II, #1)
  • Weasel's Luck (Dragonlance: Heroes, #3)
  • Dragonlance Campaign Setting Companion: Legends Of The Twins (Dragonlance)
  • Tantras (Forgotten Relalms: Avatar #2)
  • The Outlanders (Lon Tobyn Chronicle, #2)
Fantasy novelist who, along with Tracy Hickman, was one of the original creators of the Dragonlance game world. I've written numerous novels and short stories set in the world of Krynn, as well as series in other, original worlds. These include: Darksword, Rose of the Prophet, Star of the Guardians, DeathGate, Dragonvarld, Sovereign Stone, Dragonships, and the Dragon Brigade. I also wrote two para ...more
More about Margaret Weis...

The Darksword (4 books)
  • Doom of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #2)
  • Triumph of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #3)
  • Legacy of the Darksword (The Darksword Trilogy #4)