Start by marking “ Black Beauty” as Want to Read:
Black Beauty

Anna Sewell

Black Beauty

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  189,996 Ratings  ·  3,193 Reviews
Perfect for the car or anywhere, these convenient book-and-tape packages include over 60 minutes of audio on each tape.
Published June 14th 2000 by DK Children (first published November 24th 1877)

Susan
Aug 03, 2007 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first book I ever read. I remember the day that I brought it in to show to my teacher, Miss Gerardi. She asked me if I could read it, so I started reading it aloud to her right away.

The story is told in Black Beauty's own words. Beauty's friends are hard to forget, especially high-spirited Ginger. Anna Sewall's words are full of loving empathy for these beautiful animals. The story was set in 19th century England, at a time when almost everyone came into frequent contact with horses
Stephanie
Beautifully written... Hauntingly sad....
Autobiography of a horse in early 1800's London...

☆☆☆☆☆ 5 Bright and shining gold stars ☆☆☆☆☆

Black Beauty was one of my favorite childhood stories and I greatly enjoyed re-reading it as an adult!!! The book has not lost any of its magic over time (if it is truly for the 9-12 year old crowd as billed, consider me young at heart)!

Told from the point of view of a horse, Black Beauty's early upbringing with his wonderful mother and agreeable master was joy
Carol
Apr 20, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
"My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.

BLACK BEAUTY, with the help of some of her friends and acquaintances, narrates her own life story in this absolute gem of a children's classic. I've always loved the beauty and grace of horses, but now have an even greater respect and appreciation for them......and their needs.

A few heartbreaking stories are told here, but the positive, encouraging message

Melody
Dec 26, 2007 Melody rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I revisited this classic horse story not knowing what to expect, really. I have found that I can't really trust my childhood memories. In this case, however, the years made no difference. The odd thing I noticed while reading this book was how completely I'd internalized the messages regarding animals and how one should treat them. I know that I must have read this 20 or 30 times before I was 14, but I didn't realize that I was memorizing whole chunks of it and grafting it into my moral code. It ...more
Debbie Zapata
Jul 11, 2013 Debbie Zapata rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: douglas
Do not be expecting an objective review here. I have loved this book since a copy was given to me at the end of my sixth grade school year and have read it so many times I practically know it by heart. And as a matter of fact, I still have that very book! Here is the GR link for it, which did not take me nearly as long to find as I thought it might (there are nearly 800 editions of Black Beauty listed).

The story follows Black Beauty from his days as a foa
Chris
Black Beauty is one of those rare books that can preach without being preachy. Anna Sewell wrote this to illustrate the abuse of horses, in particulary the harsh use of the bearing rein. The bearing rein was used to get the horse's head arched, but made it difficult for the horse to breathe and near impossible for the horse to pull a carriage uphill. When Sewell died, the hearse to carry her body used horses with bearing reins. Her mother went out and made the driver get rid of them.

Another Sewe
Duane
Very cute story and who wouldn't enjoy a story told from point of view of a horse. It brings animal abuse to the light of day which is a good thing.
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm sorry, I read this book when I was 6 or 7 and it almost scarred me for life..the sight of Ginger's body being carted away stayed with me for years. Between this, Where the Red Fern Grows, The Yearling, and of course Old Yeller I have to assume that somewhere there is a Marquis de Sade school of children's literature. I never gave these to my children as they were growing up (they had to make do with Narnia, Charlie Bucket, and some others). Neither the books nor the movies did I take them to ...more
Lisa Vegan
Aug 28, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyoone who loves horses or well written children's literature
This book probably deserves 5 stars or at least 4, and I do recommend it to everyone, especially to girls who love horses. I’m giving it only 3 stars, however, not because I wasn’t one of those girls who were big horse fans (which I wasn’t really), but because for me it was just too emotionally harrowing. This might have been the first book I ever read that made me sick with depression. The horse goes through a lot of suffering in this book. Not for the overly sensitive but a beautifully told st ...more
Sidharth Vardhan
Okay it had started as a review but it ended up becoming something totally different. It is rather dark, you have been warned.

"In Defense of Cannibalism"

"I think the story starts when, as a kid, I was a neighbor of this family of slaughterers for a short while and, though they did their work within walls of their house, still sitting inside our home, we could hear the cries of goats, full of pain, as they were being slaughtered. These cries would go on for several minutes. It was unbearable for
Sara
Jan 23, 2015 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
A timeless story that should be required reading for everyone, whatever the age. When this book was written, horses were used for every kind of pleasure and work, and were part of most upper class households. Many thought of them the way we think of cars, vehicles there for our use and disposable when they no longer meet our requirements. These, however, are sentient creatures, with needs and feelings, and Sewell wrote a moving and informative piece in their behalf.

Who would not fall in love wit
Manybooks
Anna Sewell's evocative, poignant and yes, often devastatingly brutal autobiography of a horse is a novel which even though I very much and dearly cherish and appreciate (and consider even somewhat of a favourite), I am also glad to have first read as an adult, and not as a child. Horses being amongst my favourite animals, particularly Black Beauty's trials and tribulations, his often neglectful and at times even deliberately cruelly abusive grooms and owners, the fact that there are also horses ...more
Werner
Feb 13, 2008 Werner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of 19th century fiction; kids with good reading skills
Shelves: classics, books-i-own
Note, Oct. 13, 2015: The review below is premised on the idea that this is a children's book; it's typically treated as such today, and I did read it as a kid. But my fellow Goodreader Fiona just made me aware that Sewall actually intended the novel for adult readers. This should be kept in mind in approaching and interpreting it!
**********************************

Since this is basically a children's book, my rating is based on my reaction to it as a child reader. If I re-read it now and rated i
You may read online here.

This a very touching novel by Anna Sewell who described the abuse of bearing rein in the horses. Nowadays this question of mistreatment of animals is becoming a harsh reality even in the XXI century.

A movie was made based on this book Black Beauty (1994).

Sep 09, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
من الرائع حقا رؤية البشر وتصرفاتهم من وجهة نظر حصان خلال أحداث الرواية كلها وأيضا علي لسانه
لا أعتقد اني رأيت الفيلم من قبل ولكن اتمني رؤيته قريبا لأشاهد تجسيد الحصان الجميل "بلاك بيوتي" في الواقع
description

تلك الحيوانات الملوكية الحساسة التي تحتاج لعناية وفهم خاصين جدا
description

شعرت مع كل كلمة أن الكاتبة أصلها حصان وليست إنسان الطريقة التي تعبر بها عن إحساس "بلاك بيوتي" ومعاناته وآلامه كإنها عانتها من قبل

استغرب حقا كيف يستطيع إنسان معاملة هذا الكائن الرقيق بشكل خاص بتلك الوحشية ولجميع الحيوانات بشكل عام
وكإنهم لا
Ellinor
As I young girl I never was much into horses as were all the other girls from my class. This is why I never read Black Beauty. I also never saw any of the movie adaptions. All I knew was that it was about a very beautiful horse.
Reading this book I was surprised by three things: First of all, it was completely different from what I expected. I had kind of imagined a story about a wild horse. This so totally wasn't the case. The second thing was, that Anna Sewell turns out to be the Charles Dicken
Brenda
Mar 05, 2016 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8-long-ago
This was my favorite book as a child. Although my edition was published in 1955 by Whitman, my cover is different than the one shown. I'll try to add a photo later. (Well, I can't seem to get the link correct and the image just gives an error.)

Try this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/2214676...
Lizzy (Bent Bookworm)
~*Full review here on The Bent Bookworm!*~

“Good luck is rather particular who she rides with, and mostly prefers those who have got common sense and a good heart.”

Black Beauty is a book of anthropomorphic animals. Highly intelligent animals. While told in the language of its time (roughly the 1870s-1880s), it still has an appeal to anyone with a love of animals and an even slight interest in history. The details included are absolutely fascinating and paint a exquisite picture of England and Lon
Amanda NEVER MANDY
What a bleak story. It’s interesting how I keep looking back on books that I loved as a child with a happy heart, only to discover how my memory of them is completely different from what they really are. Or maybe it’s just that my outlook on life has changed since then, that I now see and know about certain realities that I wasn’t aware of back then. It’s like a bucket of ice water called knowledge is being thrown in my face with each book I take off of my memory shelf.

This story is overflowing
Jordan
Sep 18, 2007 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horse lovers
Shelves: literature, animals
I was so in love with horses from a young age and I remember crying my little eyes out when I read this book. It broke my heart when poor Black Beauty was abused and broken. I was elated when Beauty was reunited with a former caregiver. This classic story is great and a must for anyone who cares for animals.
Kelly
Jul 21, 2008 Kelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't count the number of times I cried over this when I was a kid.
Anya
Black Beauty was the first novel I read at the age of eight and the first I cried my eyes out to. The story follows the life of the titular horse Black Beauty chronicling his childhood as a young, care-free colt to the onerous days where he worked for several merciless human masters.

I grew up in a house that was home to abandoned or injured critters and adoptive pets. I adored animals and being the anti-social child that I was always found a non-judgemental, loving friend in them. So it was only
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
This was a firm favourite in childhood. In fact a good portion of my beloved books back then involved horses, The Black Stallion, Flicker, The Bumper Girls Collection of Horse Stories. I'm pretty sure I dreamed of having my own horse too, sadly I had to share Barbie's with her instead. Scarred for life.

Set in turn of the century London this book was a moving and powerful read for me, I recall feeling quite emotional in parts and read it numerous times. I was in love with Black Beauty, like many
Book Concierge
Book on CD narrated by Simon Vance.

First published in 1877, this is the only novel written by Anna Sewell, but it has become a much-loved classic and one of the most widely read animal stories. Black Beauty tells his own story, from his early days as a colt frolicking with his friends and his mother, to learning to accept a bridle, saddle and rider, to being sold as a carriage horse, then to pulling a cab in London, and eventually to a happy country life once again.

I had a copy of this book when
Jo Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

I was surprised at the date this was written. It has a "whenever, whatever time" kind of feel to it and I loved that. Unfortunately, I didn't like much else. It was splendidly written, though at times it felt more like an instruction manual on how to look after horses than anything else. I just didn't enjoy the disjointed way it was told: obviously anything written from the P.O.V. of a horse isn't go
Evelyn (devours and digests words)
A timeless classic, indeed.

I've read this years ago as a child but forgot most of what the book is actually about. I think I didn't even catch on the moral Black Beauty tries to convey here! I was also disinterested when it comes to animals back then and I was absolutely increduled at the idea of reading in a horse's point of view. Also, the part where Ginger died and got carted away left me utterly depressed. I dropped the book and did not look back... until now, that is.

Today, I realize how
Haley *Books, Boys, Baking, and Horses*
Very good. I have everybody call it sad but I don't know why. I mean, it was sad because of how some grooms and masters treated their horses. But it ended happy. I heard, that after Black Beauty got published lots of the harsh treating of the horses stopped. I think that is very cool. But either way, this is a classic for everyone!!!
Mar 06, 2016 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since I know very little about horses, I learned many different interesting facts about a horse's life. I Liked how the story was told from Black Beauty, the main character in the story point of view.
Ali
Jan 10, 2016 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-19th-century
I read this with my 9 years old sister. We've agreed on 3.
Filipa
Jan 22, 2015 Filipa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ultimamente o que me tem apetecido comprar e ler são clássicos.
Descobrir clássicos.
Acumular clássicos.
Descobrir edições bonitas de clássicos a adicioná-los à pilha por ler.
Nesta onda, descobri este livrinho, que é um clássico infantil e que, também tem uma adaptação cinematográfica, que conto ver em breve.

"Black Beauty" traz-nos a história de um cavalo desde o seu nascimento até à sua velhice.
Black Beauty é um cavalo que, desde que nasce até aos seus primeiros anos, tem uma vida que ele adora,
https://9beautycaretips.com/dermessence-cream/ 2 2 5 hours, 12 min ago
https://www.myfitnessfacts.com/nuviante-eyelash-enhancer 1 1 Mar 24, 2017 12:46AM
https://www.myfitnessfacts.com/derma-gieo-serum/ 1 1 Mar 24, 2017 12:00AM
https://circlehealthclub.com/malexpro/ 1 1 Mar 23, 2017 11:37PM
https://circlehealthclub.com/malexpro/ 1 1 Mar 23, 2017 01:16AM
https://www.myfitnessfacts.com/derma-gieo-serum/ 1 1 Mar 23, 2017 01:10AM
https://myfitnessfacts.com/derma-gieo-serum 1 1 Mar 22, 2017 05:55AM
  • Stormy, Misty's Foal (Misty, #3)
  • The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)
  • My Friend Flicka (Flicka, #1)
  • National Velvet
Anna Sewell was a kind and generous woman whose great love for horses and desire to see them better treated resulted in the most celebrated animal story of the nineteenth century.

Born into a strict Quaker family who lived at Great Yarmouth in Norfolk, she was brought up to believe in the importance of self-reliance, moral responsibility and 'tender consideration for the Creatures of God'. From an
More about Anna Sewell...

“It is good people who make good places.” 1603 likes
“If they strain me up tight, why, let 'em look out! I can't bear it, and I won't.” 569 likes