Start by marking “War with Grandpa” as Want to Read:
War with Grandpa

Robert Kimmel Smith

War with Grandpa

3.73  ·  Rating Details  ·  918 Ratings  ·  112 Reviews
Upset that he has to give up the room he loves to his grandfather, Pete decides to declare war in an attempt to get it back.
Published March 1st 1984 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1984)

To ask other readers questions about War with Grandpa, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about War with Grandpa

Josie
Mar 13, 2010 Josie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is wonderful. It's about a ten-year-old boy who has a grandpa who is coming to live with them. He is coming because his wife just died. So, in other words, the boy's grandmother has died. Toby is happy about his grandfather coming, but there is a downside. Grandpa has a bad leg, and cannot live in the attic, which is the guest room. Grandpa has to sleep is HIS ROOM. The boy is very angry and declars war on his grandpa. They play mean tricks on each other. Will the war end? Will the gra ...more
Ella
Feb 04, 2009 Ella rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate this book!!!
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Two and a half stars. I first read Smith's "Sadie Shapiro" books, and unfortunately the main character, Peter's voice is not convincing as a kid. He'll go along OK and then suddenly, yup--he starts sounding like an older man. A ten-year-old Sadie.
Also, the "book as term paper" thing got old in the seventies with things like Freaky Friday and Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret. It's the same old "story within a story" framework that was first introduced about 200 years ago, and I get tired of i
Elaine Hodnefield
This is the story of Peter Stokes and the year that he declared war against his grandpa. Peter's grandpa is moving from Florida to live with Peter, his sister Jennifer, and his mom and dad. Peter loves his grandpa and he couldn't wait until his grandpa arrived! That is, until he found out that Grandpa would be taking his room! This very special place that is all his! And he is going to be moved up into an ugly, old space in the attic!
Peter decides that this calls for war! He types a note, tel
Julie
Mar 28, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contenders
I loved this book as a kid, and I wanted to see if I loved it as much as an adult. (I did. Almost.) This time around, I read it with my 7 year old son, and he laughed all the way through.

Ten year old Pete has a pretty average, 1980's life. His little sister can be annoying, but his family is loving and he has a few good friends and doesn't mind school so much. Then he gets the news his recently-widowed grandfather will be moving in with the family -- moving in to his room. Pete, of course, love
Jordan
Apr 18, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this a very long time ago for school. I remember loving it. It was so funny & impacting at the same time. It was a great read for a 10 year old & I really enjoyed it.
Max
Oct 04, 2011 Max rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the war with grandpa is about when peter's grandpa moves into his house he has to live upstairs. this book is funny and serious at the same time.
Cameron (wildfire)
a awesome book, but people, dont try this at home
Guy
Dec 03, 2014 Guy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Peter's Grandpa comes over to live with peter's family and kicks peter out of his room. Peter loves his Grandpa but he likes he's room more. Peter plays tricks on his Grandpa but Grandpa is always one or even 2 steps ahead.

I really enjoyed reading, "The War With Grandpa" because they made Jack the grandpa's character look act like Peter's older brother. The author Robert Kim Smith didn't do a good job showing how the characters looked like. He made a great job on describing the setting it made
Art
I really enjoyed this book. Good humor and light reading w/heart-felt meaning.
I read this book during lunch on a rainy day and had an very enjoyable lunch.
I like the word, "enjoy" and "enjoyable".
Being a Grandparent, I try and think of ways to entertain my Grandson and I definitely would not like to go to war w/my Grandson! :0)
Gave me new and old ideas of how to have fun with him without it being a chore for either of us.
Reminded me of things that I did w/my grandfather.

cheyenne
Dec 04, 2008 cheyenne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the plot of this book is that peter has to write a story for school.so he chooses to write about when his grandpa come to stay he has his own room on the bottom floor. and his grandpa couldn't stay on the thrid floor so peter had to move to the third floor.so evenbefore his grandpa came he was mad at him.all the time peter and his grandpa had a war and grandpa wants to get even.
a connection that i have with this book is that if some one took my room and i had to move to the scariest room in th
Roslyn Daly
Aug 08, 2014 Roslyn Daly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Love this book! This is Peter's story and boy, he does a funny job telling it! Throughout the story, Peter is torn between his desire to take back what he believes rightfully belongs to him and his love and respect for his grandfather. It is this love and respect that are the winning elements in the end. At the end of the novel, both Peter and his grandfather learn important lessons about the bonds
of family and the importance of communication. This is going to be a beginning of the year read alo
Miss Kelly
Kimmel Smith is also the author of Chocolate Fever which I liked much better.
This book is about a boy who's granfather comes to live with his family and the boy must give his bedroom to his grandpa. Old fashion book. I wish this is how kids really act toward their parents and grandfather today; however, todays kids' wars with their parent or grandparents are much more violent and vicious. Sad but true.
Cynthia Murray
Jun 22, 2015 Cynthia Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book published in the 80's but if you can get passed that you will enjoy this book with your children. I read it as a read-aloud with my daughter's and we had a blast. This is a book for kids by the way.
The book is written from an interesting perspective by a boy as an assignment for his teacher, but it's very candid and funny. Amazing how far this little boy will go to be at war with his grandpa.
Zoë B
Feb 05, 2014 Zoë B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a horrible book. Fighting about a room? Get real people! Peter was a major brat and his grandpa let him getting away. I hope that this will not be recamended to anyone in my family. It was a boring to read. I want to never read it again. I want to never see it again. I do not get the whole point of fighting over a dum boring room the had no meaning. In conclution I think this was a dum book.
JasonChan
This book is about Peter's war with grandpa. Grandma passed away and Peters parents thought they should have grandpa live with their family. Since grandpa is moving in, he needs a room. Peter had to give up his room to grandpa and Peter had to sleep in a different room. Then Peter started a war with Grandpa. Their war is like playing pranks on each other. In the end Peter got back his room and Grandpa made his own little house at the basement.
I can connect this to movies or real life situations.
Rosa
Jun 16, 2016 Rosa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think that this was a good book because I like when the war begain between the both of them and. I also think that them two should not be fighting specailly becuse they are family. I thonk that the old men is wayyy toooooo old to be fighting with a 7 year old. so i dont really recomend it to anyone. :)
Julie Erickson
Jun 21, 2012 Julie Erickson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The War with Grandpa is the story of a young boy whose grandfather has to move into his home. Under normal circumstances, this would be great, but unfortunately, Grandpa has to take Peter’s room! Peter is forced into the scariest room of the house, and this causes a prank war between the two.

I enjoy reading this book with my fourth graders at the beginning of the school year as they also write their own narratives. The novel is written as if an assignment for Peter’s teacher and is useful as a
D'Arcy Rowe
It was a cute story for third graders. I think they will enjoy it. Some of the terms and situations seem very old fashioned though so might need to be explained. Such as the milk man delivering milk in bottles to the house.
Michael
Mar 28, 2015 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reading it with my students for the first time

They are enjoying it. Some things that need to be discussed with them but overall enjoyable and insightful. Recommended for 4th grade
Jamie at BCS Reviews
Jan 19, 2014 Jamie at BCS Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classroom
From a teacher's point of view, I think this is a good read. There is a nice message to it when we see the relationship between Peter and his grandfather: don't give in to peer pressure, family comes first, etc. There is a lot of figurative language (similes, hyperboles, and idioms).

From a 5th graders point of view, it was an okay book. Most of my current class gave it 3 starts. Near all of them said it needed more action. That the "tricks" Peter and his grandfather were doing to each other were
Ann
Sep 28, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was in elementary school, and it was the first book I've ever wanted to read outside of school, I loved it. It was a fun book to read and quite a comedy.
Robin
May 07, 2014 Robin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when I was in 5th grade and it made me want to read more. it was funny and corky. I wouldn't mind reading it again even if I am 25 now.
Natalie
Jun 29, 2016 Natalie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We listened to this as a family and my children loved it. I thought the boy was kind of a brat, but it was well told and well read.
Cassandra
Jan 20, 2016 Cassandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i really like this book its about grandpa and peter have a war declare a war but jenny is peter spy for grandpa to see what he does
Molly
Nov 11, 2012 Molly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is only moderately well written (it's supposed to be written by a ten year old, so that's acceptable, even if it is annoying) and it's bit dated.[return]My fifth graders hated it last year; it was the least popular book the LA class did.[return][return]SPOILER ALERT[return]SPOILER ALERT[return]SPOILER ALERT[return]I like that Peter learns that war is a bad thing as is peer pressure, but, unfortunately, the BIG lesson he learned (and the audience learns) was that if you whine enough and ...more
Lily
Dec 10, 2015 Lily rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this will be a good book. I really want to read it. all my friends said its a great book.
Angie
Nov 22, 2015 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this book with my fourth-grade reading club, and in the end they all voted it 'ok'. I thought it was fairly well-written (from the point of view of a 10-year-old), but the 'war' wasn't as fun as I thought it was going to be. I ended up feeling sorry for Grandpa most of the time, and felt that Peter was a bit of a brat. Also, the ending of the book was very unsatisfactory for me.
Cynthia E Sherman
Great fun! 4-6th grade readers will enjoy this book. It was funny and fast paced.
Tessa Mayuiers
May 21, 2014 Tessa Mayuiers rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this along time ago, back in 5th grade, but I thought it was a funny cute book
The War with Grandpa, by Robert Kimmel Smith 1 6 Feb 20, 2013 09:44AM
  • Hothead
  • The Memory String
  • Watchdog and the Coyotes
  • The Invisible Dog
  • Trouble Magnet (George Brown, Class Clown, #2)
  • When the Soldiers Were Gone
  • Here in Harlem: Poems in Many Voices
  • Night Kites
  • The One Hundredth Thing About Caroline
  • The Cookcamp
  • Phineas L. MacGuire . . . Erupts!: The First Experiment
  • There's a Frog in My Throat!: 440 Animal Sayings a Little Bird Told Me
  • The Way to Start a Day
Robert Kimmel Smith began dreaming of becoming a writer at the age of eight, when he spent three months in bed reading while recovering from rheumatic fever. He enrolled in Brooklyn College in 1947, and served in the U.S. Army, in Germany, from 1951-1953. In 1954 he married Claire Medney, his editor and literary agent. They have two children: Heidi (1962) and Roger (1967). After writing advertisin ...more
More about Robert Kimmel Smith...