Start by marking “Great Waters: An Atlantic Passage” as Want to Read:
Great Waters: An Atlantic Passage

Great Waters: An Atlantic Passage

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  7 reviews
In the course of an ocean voyage, Deborah Cramer documents the history and science of the Atlantic illuminating our multifaceted reliance on the sea, our betrayal of that bond, the changing landscape of the ocean floor and the threatened life of its inhabitants. Bringing together the research of physical oceanographers, geologists, biologists and chemists from both sides o ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Great Waters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Great Waters

Glorianna Davenport
"An Atlantic tide pool is a piece of the ocean, left by the receding sea. Small, its breadth within reach, I can walk its perimeter, see clearly into its depths..." From this tide pool, Deborah Cramer journey encompasses the ebb and flow from the rocky coast of Newfoundland and Gulf of Maine to vast reaches of the Sargasso. As Cramer explores and embraces her epic subject scientifically, she poetically weaves together the complex themes of watery life, formative time, ceaseless motion. I purchas ...more
This was probably the best science writing I've ever read. Cramer's descriptions of the Atlantic Ocean were amazingly comprehensive, smoothly flowing from its ecosystems to general circulation to geological formation to human impact . . . and more. She obviously did extensive research and put a lot of thought in how she weaved together the many strands of details. It was at times breath-taking and sobering.

The book was also personally interesting because the author went to sea on a ship I've sa
I am not quite the audience for this book, but I think, for the right reader--one with little scientific background but with interest in the oceans--this is a very fine choice. Approachable, lyrically written, and a very good introduction to the issues facing our backyard ocean today.
George Mack
Excellent in depth study of Atlantic ocean ecology. Deborah Cramer covers everything from bacteria and viruses to plate tectonics. Not an in depth study of any individual component but a broad sweep of the Atlantic environment and our impact. An incredible read!
I confess I haven't finished this. I think the science is there but the writing style is too breathless for me to grasp. Early on the author redefines 'passage' so we know what she means and dispenses with the definite article 'the' in referring to the Atlantic; for her whales swim in Atlantic. I may complete it- maybe not.
Jul 31, 2010 Cindi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Heard the author's interview on "The Story" tonight. This really is my thing, the oceans and all.
Anne Thessen
Jun 15, 2008 Anne Thessen rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in the environment or the ocean
Recommended to Anne by: Diane
I met the author. She's an amazing person. She writes beautifully about the oceans.
Marc marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
Mindy Kannon
Mindy Kannon marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Amanda marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2015
Xavier Williams
Xavier Williams marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Chelsea Preston
Chelsea Preston marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
Ashten marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2015
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Jen marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
Matthew Smith
Matthew Smith marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Reina Smoley-balog
Reina Smoley-balog marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Emma added it
Nov 14, 2014
Em marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
Rachael Hedges
Rachael Hedges marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Roland marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014