Start by marking “The Season of Lillian Dawes: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Season of Lillian Dawes: A Novel

The Season of Lillian Dawes: A Novel

From the acclaimed writer of Private Altars, comes a story of driving lyrical force set in Manhattan in the 1950s. When he is expelled from boarding school, Gabriel Gibbs is sent to live with his older brother Spencer in New York. Rather than a punishment, this becomes an exhilarating invitation to a dazzling world, from smoking cigars at the Plaza Hotel to weekend house p ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Season of Lillian Dawes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Season of Lillian Dawes

Nancy
Sep 18, 2015 Nancy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have nothing to say about this book. I think I read it wrong. I'm not even sure what the story was and I think I may have missed something big waiting for something big to happen.
Rosie
Dec 13, 2012 Rosie rated it did not like it
what a disappointment. I wanted to like this book but it was just too much.
Run on sentences containing too many thoughts. You need a dictionary to read this book.
Fifty pages in and nothing to give one an idea of what the book is about.

I stopped reading on page 58.

Would not recommend.

Richie
Jun 23, 2016 Richie rated it did not like it
I kept reading this book thinking it may get better but it never did. I initially became interested because I read on a blog that the language was similar to Fitzgerald, but nothing could be further. "The Great Gatsby" uses lyrical language that is very well selected; this is much longer and over uses adjectives. You should not use so many adjectives and similes that tell me absolutely nothing. It's indulgent writing and it's sloppy. The story also had a "Breakfast at Tiffany's" feel but with a ...more
Lemuel Robinson
Jun 24, 2013 Lemuel Robinson rated it it was amazing
I loved this book--Mosby's writing is lucid, clever, and dances off the page in an endlessly unique way--I couldn't stop reading the book once I started, and some of the lines in the short, moving chapters still stick out to me even now.
Marian Deegan
Aug 29, 2014 Marian Deegan rated it it was amazing
Every so often, an author emerges from the library stacks in a chance slide fueled by magic. Katherine Mosby falls into this category in *my* book. With a depth and breadth of literate knowledge which would make Garrison Keillor smile, Mosby paints memorable characters, beauty-infused moments, dazzling dialogue and captivating stories in language rivaling Ondaatje and Robertson and Michaels. Her Season of Lillian Dawes is a perfect example of my idea of a jewel of a book.

When sullen Gabriel Gibb
Drusie's Biblio
Sep 10, 2013 Drusie's Biblio rated it it was amazing
You can translate this review on: http://labibliotecadidrusie.blogspot.it/

Eccomi alle prese con un libro che ne ricorda tanti altri, senza avermi dato l'idea del 'già sentito'.
Aprire questo romanzo è stato come aprirne uno di Fitzgerald, con i personaggi di Capote e l'intervento della zia Mame di Dennis travestita da zia Lavinia.
E' innegabile che il racconto di Gabriel (voce narrante) e Spencer evochi in maniera piuttosto netta le atmosfere del grande Gatsby. Non tanto per le feste e il lusso, q
Laurie Notaro
Apr 19, 2015 Laurie Notaro rated it liked it
Three and a half. or three and three quarters. Writing was nice, lyrical in parts, but the ending was lovely and perfect for the book. If you loved Rules of Civility, this was a similar book, but better.
Neyda Gilman
Jul 30, 2014 Neyda Gilman rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It took some time to get use to the writing, and it was a bit predictable, but it was an enjoyable and quick read.
Audra
Mar 04, 2015 Audra rated it liked it
3.5 Star review. Mosby's erudite writing style is fluid and poetic, but at times a bit heavy. The first half of the book set the scene, but it didn't really pick up until the second half, which wrapped up the novel nicely. So, first half: 3 stars (I had to keep at it, despite a small urge to give up); second half: 4 stars (worth the trudge).
Gina
Mar 22, 2009 Gina rated it really liked it
This is a very Igby Goes Down/Catcher in the Rye sort of book, featuring disillusioned but frequently hysterical first person narration by a teenage boy who was..wait for it...kicked out of private school. I am quite enjoying it.
Kelly
Jan 12, 2015 Kelly rated it really liked it
Slow at first, and prone to a wandering style of writing that takes some getting used to, but which is lyrical and self-conscious and poetic. The story is worth pursuing, and towards the end it becomes very engaging.
Abby Perkins
Jun 08, 2011 Abby Perkins rated it liked it
At first it seems like simply a good story, but I find the characters and their ideas coming backto me regularly.
Sandra
Jun 20, 2008 Sandra rated it liked it
Pretty good book although slow at first and was hard to keep the interest.
Lizz
Jun 28, 2010 Lizz rated it really liked it
a great addition to Twilight, I am loving it so far...
Karen
May 16, 2012 Karen rated it it was amazing
Excellent retro romance.
Aaron
Oct 02, 2010 Aaron rated it liked it
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2016
Cheryl Grimm
Cheryl Grimm rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2016
Kara
Kara rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2016
Melissa
Melissa is currently reading it
Aug 26, 2016
Marc
Marc added it
Jul 31, 2016
Honey
Honey marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Andy Eskew
Andy Eskew rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Simge Öksüm
Simge Öksüm marked it as to-read
May 10, 2016
Kailey
Kailey marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Kristy White
Kristy White marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Michelle Reid
Michelle Reid marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
  • Malavita encore
  • Corrigan
  • Click
  • Les Quatre Fils du Dr. March
  • Les Falsificateurs
  • Dangerous Muse: The Life Of Lady Caroline Blackwood
  • The Doom of the Haunted Opera (Lewis Barnavelt, #6)
  • The Golden Spur
  • The Times We Had: Life with William Randolph Hearst
  • Loath Letters
  • Portraits and Observations: The Essays of Truman Capote
  • White Mischief
  • The Postman Always Rings Twice, Double Indemnity, Mildred Pierce and Selected Stories
  • Mémoire de fille