Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby #1)

3.59  ·  Rating Details  ·  27,143 Ratings  ·  1,040 Reviews
"Wild" Bill Barnaby vanished after a woman screamed on his phone call to big sister Alex 30, narrator who heads for Miami to rescue him. NASCAR driver Sam Hooker wants his 65' Hatteras back. His last employer Moran on Flex II wants something back. Security guard Sanchez was murdered. They expose a plot to grab Cuban gold and a sinister relic of the Cuban missile crisis.
Paperback, Large Print, 375 pages
Published 2004 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

Antof9
Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
Marla
Feb 12, 2012 Marla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
Heather
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Just - The romance reader
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Parisa
Feb 28, 2009 Parisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
Lynn
Nov 22, 2015 Lynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this and really liked it. I liked the characters and the story line. I like Evanovich. Love the Plum series, and this is my second favorite!
Jamieson
Feb 05, 2009 Jamieson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
Dagny
Dec 07, 2014 Dagny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
C
Sep 10, 2007 C rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Glass
Jul 31, 2014 Glass marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
DNF
Erin
Aug 09, 2015 Erin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very Funny, Laughed Out Loud Many Times Reading This Book.
Erin
I'm calling this done.

I've still got about 40 minutes of listening left in the audiobook, but as the minutes wind down at work on this Christmas Eve, I don't know if I'll finish it before they release us. And frankly, at this moment I don't care if I finish it or not. I kind of just want to stop.

This book is dumb.
I never cared about any of the characters, the plot is weak and absolutely absurd (She also apparently doesn't have a clue about owning boats in Cuba... and how people DON'T. Because th
Catherine
Jan 04, 2016 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you read one of Janet Evanovich,you are going to love them. I love the fact the main character is always female. Howevere there is always something to laugh about and cry also. Give its try.
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Cyndi
May 03, 2016 Cyndi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Love Janet Evanovich! No deep thinking or blood and guts, just plain entertainment.
Alicia Prevost
I read a Janet Evanovich book years ago...and didn't enjoy it so have avoided her ever since but...I found this book and I felt like something with a little bit of a racing flare so...I figured I'd give her a second chance.

And I just don't like her writing.

This book was just...it was too much, way too much. Like half way through and I was already tired of all the drama and wondering why they didn't just take what they had to the police and go home because they were just being dumb. Honestly, tha
Sarah Gonalez
Jan 22, 2009 Sarah Gonalez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Metro Girl was a mystery that turned out to be a comedy at the same time. It's about a woman named Alexandra Barnaby who is in search of her lost brother, Bill. While in her search, she's accompanied by an arrogant, egotistic, and at the samae time Handsome race car driver in search of his missing boat. Both characters scope out different people in this long search for Bill. As the story precedes and they learn more and more about the situation her brother is involved and without even knowing in ...more
The Genre Minx
This book was lost on me. I did not really enjoy the dialogue, humor attempts, or the character who kept referring to himself as the "nascar guy."
HeavyReader
Sep 04, 2014 HeavyReader rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction
Why did I waste my time reading this book?

I picked it up from a free shelf in a laundromat, thinking I would give it away on BookMooch. Then I gave it to a friend I thought would enjoy reading it (she did), but she gave it back to me when she was done. So I started reading it, and even though I didn’t really like it, I had a really difficult time putting it down. There was no way I wasn’t going to find out what happened in the end. I guess in that sense, Janet Evanovich did her job well. An auth
Lynda
May 15, 2014 Lynda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Older sister Alexandra Barnaby affectionately known as Barney received an unsettling early morning phone call from her wild brother Bill ending with the scream of an unknown woman. Rushing to her brother’s aid once again, Barney arrived in South Beach to discover Bill was missing and his friend Sam Hooker was not happy to find his sixty-five foot luxury boat gone with Bill. Sam and Barney scoured the clubs looking for Bill’s whereabouts only to realize whatever Bill was mixed up in was bad enoug ...more
Amy H
This was a very enjoyable book. I love the stephanie plum series, so it was nice to read about another lead lady.

This story is about a girl who is looking for her brother. She goes by the name of Barney. She worked at her dads garage and can fix any car. She also used to race them. Now, she is trying to be girly. That is until she got a phone call from her brother at 3 a.m. telling her he is leaving not to worry and don't tell anyone about him.

Barney didn't like the sound of that phone call so s
Kiera Beddes
Genre: kidnapping, treasure hunting, psychopaths, etc.
Summary: Alex Barnaby "Barney" grew up in a mechanic shop, so she knows her way around cars. When her good-for-nothing brother "Wild" Bill calls her in the middle of the night. Alex knows something is wrong, so she flies down to Miami to help him out. In Miami, she finds out that Bill stole NASCAR Sam Hooker's boat, and he'd like it back. Hereafter comes a long list of everything that could go wrong, does. Alex and Sam manage to find Bill, pi
Jessica
Sep 17, 2015 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book honestly had me angry several times while reading it. First, I'm a NASCAR fan, so the jokes and hillbilly-esq references started to grate on my nerves. Second, it's AGAIN a story that feels paint by numbers. Third: TALLADEGA. How on earth does it get thru countless editors and proofreaders and yet it is spelled wrong? Forth: bikers, really??

Jesus. Don't, just don't.
Laura Radniecki
Nov 12, 2015 Laura Radniecki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I would have given this 3.5 stars, if we were able to give half-stars here on Goodreads.

I love Janet Evanovich's writing style and the way her characters come to life for me. The mix of humor and suspense and a little bit of romance is the perfect blend, and it echoes throughout all of her books that I've read.

I enjoyed the characters in this book and the storyline was fun and interesting for the most part.

Some parts of it felt a little rushed and flat to me though; particularly the ending. I fe
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"Alexandra (Barney) Barnaby roars onto the Miami Beach scene in hot pursuit of her missing baby brother, "Wild" Bill. Leave it to the maverick of the family to get Barney involved with high-speed car chases, a search for sunken treasure, and Sam Hooker, a NASCAR driver who's good at revving a woman's engine.

Engaged in a deadly race, Bill has "borrowed" Hooker's sixty-five-foot Hatteras and sailed off into the sunset...just when Hooker has plans for the boat. Hooker figures he'll attach hi
Anita
I read this book while on a rafting trip. I started it on the way and found myself reading by flashlight in the tent. I kept my best friend in the next tent awake by laughing so much. The characters were a departure from the Plum books and were fun and interesting. Evanovich always delivers a fun, romantic and light mystery.
Lauren
Feb 21, 2015 Lauren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015-read
Alexandra Barnaby gets a call from her brother in Miami that ends with a woman screaming. She knows something isn't right so she heads down to Florida to try and find him, coming across NASCAR driver Sam Hooker. Alex's brother stole Hooker's boat so he has reason to try and find him.

Evanovich is known for her fun-loving characters, specifically with the number series and Stephanie Plum. The problem that I had with this book is that it felt like a cheap copy of the characters from Evanovich's nu
An Odd1
Oct 09, 2014 An Odd1 rated it liked it
Shelves: action, fun
Narrator Alexander 'Alex' Barnaby 30, blue-eyed bleached blonde, on phone with younger brother 'Wild Bill', hears after "I have to go. I have to ... oh shit .. a woman scream in the background, and the line went dead" p 4. He's "a great guy .. history of getting his brains caught in his zipper" p 86.

She packs her bags for Miami, lands two days later, finds his apartment trashed - twice. He quit as captain of Flex II, but employer Moran and Fidel pal Luis Salzar want something. Salzar's henchman
Julie Burns
Sep 06, 2007 Julie Burns rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 20 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: Metro Girl 2 4 Nov 26, 2012 06:41PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM
  • Foul Play
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Bubbles Ablaze (Bubbles Yablonsky, #3)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Don't Look Down
  • 6 Killer Bodies (Body Movers, #6)
  • Maggie Without A Clue (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #3)
  • Code Name: Nanny (SEAL and Code Name, #5)
  • G'Day to Die (Passport to Peril,  #5)
  • No Nest for the Wicket (Meg Langslow, #7)
  • Guns Will Keep Us Together (Bombay Assassins, #2)
  • Dead Girls Don't Wear Diamonds (Blackbird Sisters Mystery, #2)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Perfectly Plum: Unauthorized Essays On the Life, Loves And Other Disasters of Stephanie Plum, Trenton Bounty Hunter
  • Undercover in High Heels (High Heels, #3)
More about Janet Evanovich...

Alex Barnaby (4 books)
  • Motor Mouth (Alex Barnaby #2)
  • Troublemaker (Alex Barnaby #3)
  • Troublemaker 2 (Alex Barnaby #4)

“Just because i know how to change a guys oil doesn't mean i want to spend the rest of my life on my back, staring up his undercarriage.” 38 likes