Start by marking “Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)” as Want to Read:
Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby, #1)

Metro Girl (Alex Barnaby #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  23,951 ratings  ·  930 reviews
"Wild" Bill Barnaby vanished after a woman screamed on his phone call to big sister Alex 30, narrator who heads for Miami to rescue him. NASCAR driver Sam Hooker wants his 65' Hatteras back. His last employer Moran on Flex II wants something back. Security guard Sanchez was murdered. They expose a plot to grab Cuban gold and a sinister relic of the Cuban missile crisis.
Paperback, Large Print, 375 pages
Published 2004 by Harper Collins

To ask other readers questions about Metro Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Metro Girl

Antof9
Having just read A Thousand Acres, I needed something "lite", and this perfectly fit the bill. I found it fun and silly, and some of the writing was quite clever. Calling Hooker "NASCAR guy" was genius. Judey was a little bit of a characature, but the lines about him having "two eyebrows" made me LOL.

One of the things I liked was all the pop culture references. I've often found things like that missing in the Sue Grafton "alphabet series" (it's ok though; that's an older series -- I just find th
Marla
I read the hardcover, large print edition of this, which I point out because it got really funny around pages 280/300. As usual for a Janet Evanovich book one of the characters was driving a Porsche, it was not however a Cayenne or a Turbo(gasp!), but they did mention they were thinking of upgrading to a Turbo so there's that. =P There was also a Mini Cooper which I believe Stephanie drove at one point in her books. =)

This takes place in Miami and I couldn't help but think they needed to get in
Heather
This was a lot of fun to read. I'd been told that these weren't as good as the Stephanie Plum novels so I was delightfully surprised at how much I enjoyed it. It almost read like a Carl Hiaasen novel; mostly owing to the south Florida setting and odd ball characters. Some of the action in the book was a little preposterous at times but nowhere near the almost unbelievable level of a Plum book. Overall a solid story with enough suspense that had me reading it all in one sitting. Just the summer r ...more
Jamieson
Janet Evanovich is best known for her Stephanie Plum series (“One for the Money”, “Two For the Doe”, “Three To Get Deadly”, etc) featuring Stephanie Plum: A so-so bounty hunter with big hair, a big mouth and a gun. Each of the novels has rocketed to the New York Times Best Seller List and has made her a publishing phenomenon. The books are laugh out loud funny and Evanovich has amassed herself quite the loyal fan base. Myself included.

I for one love her Stephanie Plum novels, so I was extremely
C
I read this while waiting for Lean Mean 13 to become available at my local library. I was disappointed to find that the characters and premise were very similar to the Stephanie Plum series; I would go so far as to say that Metro Girl is just Plum-lite, the only difference being that while I love Stephanie, I find Barney barely tolerable.

In spite of the similarities and the annoying protagonist, you're better off reading this than either of the "between-the-numbers" books.
Bark's Book Nonsense
I listened to this on my Ipod while cooking and cleaning various messes around my house. I thought it was very similar in style to the Plumb books.

This time around the heroine is Barney, a blond gal who grew up around mechanics. Her love interest is a blond Nascar driver who thinks he's just the hottest thing ever. The two meet and pair up when Barney's brother goes missing. It was very cute, light and fluffy and just the thing to distract me from the grossities that I must clean up.
Just - The romance reader
I can tell this will be the first of many Janet Evanovich novels for me. Chick-lit mixed with a good mystery and lots of action, Metro Girl was truly entertaining. Alex "Barney" Barnaby and Sam Hooker make quite the pair, thrown together for very different reasons, both are in search of Barney's missing brother Wild Bill. They go on a dangerous adventure with lots of chaos and drama, while the Nascar driving Hooker tries to steal Barney's heart.
Glass
Jul 31, 2014 Glass marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, suspense
DNF
Parisa
I'm sorry, Janet. But seriously. This book was filled with exactly the same characters as the Plum series, but they had different names. Come on. I liked the Plum series for the most part, but that doesn't mean I want to read it over and over again under the pretense of it being a new story with new people.
Dagny
Too many coincidences. Unbelievable scrapes and escapes. Even the characters can't believe what's happening. "I'm awake, right? This is real?" Loads of fun to read!

After being put off by the title for years, I finally decided to read this book after spotting it on sale. No way I could like it anywhere near as much as Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. Wrong. Not only were there plenty of laughs, but more suspense than seemed possible given the improbable goings-on. The last half of the book is a
This is one that I want to re-read. It's been a few years now and when I think back to the elements of it - I really enjoyed the ride.(HA! I made a funny!)
Sarah Gonalez
Metro Girl was a mystery that turned out to be a comedy at the same time. It's about a woman named Alexandra Barnaby who is in search of her lost brother, Bill. While in her search, she's accompanied by an arrogant, egotistic, and at the samae time Handsome race car driver in search of his missing boat. Both characters scope out different people in this long search for Bill. As the story precedes and they learn more and more about the situation her brother is involved and without even knowing in ...more
HeavyReader
Sep 04, 2014 HeavyReader rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: fiction
Why did I waste my time reading this book?

I picked it up from a free shelf in a laundromat, thinking I would give it away on BookMooch. Then I gave it to a friend I thought would enjoy reading it (she did), but she gave it back to me when she was done. So I started reading it, and even though I didn’t really like it, I had a really difficult time putting it down. There was no way I wasn’t going to find out what happened in the end. I guess in that sense, Janet Evanovich did her job well. An auth
Lynda
Older sister Alexandra Barnaby affectionately known as Barney received an unsettling early morning phone call from her wild brother Bill ending with the scream of an unknown woman. Rushing to her brother’s aid once again, Barney arrived in South Beach to discover Bill was missing and his friend Sam Hooker was not happy to find his sixty-five foot luxury boat gone with Bill. Sam and Barney scoured the clubs looking for Bill’s whereabouts only to realize whatever Bill was mixed up in was bad enoug ...more
Amy H
This was a very enjoyable book. I love the stephanie plum series, so it was nice to read about another lead lady.

This story is about a girl who is looking for her brother. She goes by the name of Barney. She worked at her dads garage and can fix any car. She also used to race them. Now, she is trying to be girly. That is until she got a phone call from her brother at 3 a.m. telling her he is leaving not to worry and don't tell anyone about him.

Barney didn't like the sound of that phone call so s
Kiera Beddes
Genre: kidnapping, treasure hunting, psychopaths, etc.
Summary: Alex Barnaby "Barney" grew up in a mechanic shop, so she knows her way around cars. When her good-for-nothing brother "Wild" Bill calls her in the middle of the night. Alex knows something is wrong, so she flies down to Miami to help him out. In Miami, she finds out that Bill stole NASCAR Sam Hooker's boat, and he'd like it back. Hereafter comes a long list of everything that could go wrong, does. Alex and Sam manage to find Bill, pi
Kris
3 STARS

"Alexandra (Barney) Barnaby roars onto the Miami Beach scene in hot pursuit of her missing baby brother, "Wild" Bill. Leave it to the maverick of the family to get Barney involved with high-speed car chases, a search for sunken treasure, and Sam Hooker, a NASCAR driver who's good at revving a woman's engine.

Engaged in a deadly race, Bill has "borrowed" Hooker's sixty-five-foot Hatteras and sailed off into the sunset...just when Hooker has plans for the boat. Hooker figures he'll attach hi
An Odd1
Narrator Alexander 'Alex' Barnaby 30, blue-eyed bleached blonde, on phone with younger brother 'Wild Bill', hears after "I have to go. I have to ... oh shit .. a woman scream in the background, and the line went dead" p 4. He's "a great guy .. history of getting his brains caught in his zipper" p 86.

She packs her bags for Miami, lands two days later, finds his apartment trashed - twice. He quit as captain of Flex II, but employer Moran and Fidel pal Luis Salzar want something. Salzar's henchman
Julie Burns
I couldn't finish this book. I'm a big fan of the Stephanie Plum series and maybe my expectations were set too high, but I thought Metro Girl was too fluffy. I had no desire to stick with it and wished Evanovich would simply get back to her primary series.
Daphne
It was funny, but Alex Barnaby is no Stephanie Plum and Sam Hooker is no Joe Morelli. I may be interested in reading the next one…haven’t decided yet. I got this on audiobook, and I didn’t like the reader, so maybe that’s why. 3.5/5

Robin
Don't bother.

Boring isn't the word.

Also, it's Stephanie Plum meets high humidity.

By the end of the book, I was pulling for an alligator to eat them all.

Read the Stephanie Plum books instead, and skip this one.
Anita H
I really enjoy Janet Evanocich. Her Stephanie Plum novels are a fun, put your mind on hold, good time. This book, however, was beyond stupid. It was so dumb that I was mad at myself for taking time out of my day to read it.
LiteraryLover
I liked this book. But it was hard since you can't help comparing it to the Stephanie Plum series. It's not as good as the Stephanie books but it was still good enough for me to want to read the next one sometime.
Leslienorvell
This book is far-fetched, impractical and entirely entertaining. Easy read. I read this book, as in a real book with pages... So it took me 4 months.
Julia DeBarrioz
I gave this four stars, though I'd like to clarify that this is four star beach reading. Or rather, a great read when you're stuck in Missouri in the middle of December, wishing you were on a beach...

Fun, fast paced, and hilarious at every turn. Many authors try to be funny like this, and fail miserably. Evanovich delivers at least one good laugh per page.

I liked this series way better than Stephanie Plum. Alex Barney is a girly girl and a grease monkey rolled into a character that somehow fits
Angie
I really wanted to like this new series, but I didn't. I love Janet, but I just don't care about these characters.
Beth Gibson
Fans of Janet Evanovich may enjoy this series. Though her bounty hunter character Stephanie Plum, is enjoyable, the series also gets old, for one because the boyfriend question is never resolved. Also, Stephanie never seems to get any smarter and still manages to blow up everything. Though I don't think some of those aspects are going to be any different in this series, it does feature a different character, who at least appears to be somewhat more intelligent and definitely more self sufficient ...more
Annie Jones
Such a fun book, I loved all the characters and can't wait to read next in series.
Tiffunee
Not one of my favs by Janet Evanovich. It is still readable.
Laurie Hanan
This book was a disappointment, even from Evanovich.
Janet Evanovich B...: Motor Mouth Movie 1 18 Feb 12, 2013 03:57PM
Join in the discussions! 1 25 Apr 30, 2009 01:29PM
  • Bubbles Betrothed (Bubbles Yablonsky, #5)
  • 2 Bodies for the Price of 1 (Body Movers, #2)
  • Nutcase (Crazy, #2)
  • Dirty Laundry (Sofie Metropolis, #2)
  • Calamity Jayne Heads West (Calamity Jayne Mystery, #5)
  • Maggie Without A Clue (Maggie Kelly Mystery, #3)
  • S is for Silence (Kinsey Millhone, #19)
  • Carrot Cake Murder (Hannah Swensen, #10)
  • Agnes and the Hitman
  • Bobbie Faye's Very (very, very, very) Bad Day (Bobbie Faye, #1)
  • Summer Lovin' (Costas Sisters, #2)
More about Janet Evanovich...
One for the Money (Stephanie Plum, #1) Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) Three to Get Deadly (Stephanie Plum, #3) Four to Score (Stephanie Plum, #4) Hot Six (Stephanie Plum, #6)

“Just because i know how to change a guys oil doesn't mean i want to spend the rest of my life on my back, staring up his undercarriage.” 36 likes