Start by marking “The Awakened Heart” as Want to Read:
The Awakened Heart

The Awakened Heart

Devastated by a love affair that had gone wrong, Sophie was determined to avoid any more heartache. Then one day the brilliant brain surgeon Riki van Taak appeared in her life. He, too, had been hurt in the past - and made it clear that he now wanted a companion rather than a wife. Sophie was pleased to accept his proposal on that basis alone - but her heart seemed to have ...more
Published November 1st 1994 by Harlequin (first published August 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Awakened Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Awakened Heart

Barb in Maryland
Well, for one thing, the back blurb is a bit misleading...
Sophie Blount's one brush with love was when she was 19(!!)--he broke her heart, so in the years since, she has remained heart-whole and leery of falling in love again --doesn't want the pain when it goes wrong, you know.
Dr Rijk van Taak ter Wijsma (one of Betty's more tongue twisty names for her Rich Dutch Doctor) falls for Sophie at first sight!
So Neels plot 17B swings into action. He courts her in a very low-key manner, but he is there
Cecilia
Oct 28, 2013 Cecilia rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
Tara
Aug 01, 2011 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure if I liked the book or not.. I could never get it rolling.. I dont know if that was because of the setting or the charaters or the writer. The story could have been so much more.
Pamela Shropshire
Sep 28, 2016 Pamela Shropshire rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tgb
Teri-k
Another book with an intelligent, sensible heroine. I've asked myself why I enjoy these stories so much when I'm not usually a fan of straight romance. However, these books are more like slice-of-life fiction, which I love. There's no angst, no lust, no sex or profanity, just a quick peek into a young woman's life. We get to see her job, family, friends, home, and a bit of her heart. Then somehow that's shaken up and we watch her deal with the changes. Not big changes, though, no one is ...more
risha
May 13, 2014 risha rated it really liked it
Betty Neels's M&B books are so ridiculously predictable, it isn't even funny... but, I really do enjoy them and the chasteness of it all. It's immensely regressive and has huge issues, but there's something rather charming about the unashamed old-fashionedness of it all, coupled with charming pastoral settings in England & the Netherlands.

This is one of my favourite Betty Neels stories- I read it years and years ago as an impressionable pre-teen stealing her mum's M&Bs; and I've rem
Tonya Warner
Mar 19, 2012 Tonya Warner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes, love and romance sneeks up on Sophie as she gets to know Dr. Rijk van Taak ter Wijsma. Rijk falls for her at first sight, but Sophie is not a woman to be rushed. Between multiple trips abroad, Rijk works his way in to marriage with Sophie, even before he is sure of her heart.

My favorite kind of light, elegant romance.
Mandy
Mar 22, 2008 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ok...as my friends know, Betty Neels books are my guilty pleasure. I'm only listing my absolute favorite, because there's not enough room to list them all.
Allison
Jul 18, 2013 Allison rated it really liked it
A very nice, typical betty neels read.
Leona
501 - يقظة قلب - بيتي نيلس- قلوب عبير

الطبيب الجراح
Hopefulpuffin
Nov 15, 2016 Hopefulpuffin rated it liked it
Not the best car selection here: Bentley, Daimler (RDD's father) and mention of a Land Rover. The RDD does have a small plane that he pilots.

Not Betty's strongest book IMO. Not a bad book, per se, just not on par with Neels' best. I couldn't get over the fact that the heroine was unable to put her bags down and get her shoe unstuck herself. Show a little initiative! Jeez.

This is a marriage of convenience plot and I'm really not a big fan of those - even in historicals.

Amber
Amber rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2013
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2012
Desiree
Desiree rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2012
mr m byrne
mr m byrne rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Bee Bee
Bee Bee rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2014
Troysmom09
Troysmom09 rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Tena
Tena rated it really liked it
Sep 10, 2010
Shirley Saxton
Shirley Saxton rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Dacia
Dacia rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2016
RaiLynn
RaiLynn rated it did not like it
Jul 28, 2012
Desiree
Desiree rated it it was amazing
May 25, 2009
Neville Cooper
Neville Cooper rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
Mandy
Mandy rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Anneted920
Anneted920 rated it liked it
Apr 12, 2008
cathy
cathy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2015
  • The Mistress Deception
  • Besieged
  • The Second Mrs Adams
  • Dangerous Alliance
  • The Baby Discovery (Bachelor Dads, #3)
  • The Greek Boss's Bride
  • Kekasih Pangeran Gurun (The Desert Prince's Mistress)
  • The Greek Tycoon's Secret Child
  • 3, 2, 1... Married!: Catch a Cowboy, Collide with a Single Daddy, Get Personal
  • Bedded by Blackmail
  • Desire for Revenge
  • Menaklukkan Calon Istri (To Woo A Wife) (Bachelor Brothers, Book 1)
  • Their Wedding Day / Hari Perkawinan Mereka
  • Love-Slave to the Sheikh
  • Wife Against Her Will (Harlequin Presents, #2544)
  • Suami Pengganti (A Husband Of Inconvenience)
  • The Greek's Royal Mistress (Princess Brides, #2)
  • Cowboy at Midnight (Fortunes of Texas: Reunion #1)
Betty Neels was born on September 15, 1910 in Devon to a family with firm roots in the civil service. She said she had a blissfully happy childhood and teenage years.(This stood her in good stead later for the tribulations to come with the Second World War). She was sent away to boarding school, and then went on to train as a nurse, gaining her SRN and SCM, that is, State Registered Nurse and ...more
More about Betty Neels...