Start by marking “As Good as Anybody” as Want to Read:
As Good as Anybody

As Good as Anybody

4.37 of 5 stars 4.37  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  36 reviews
MARTIN LUTHER KING, Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel. Their names stand for the quest for justice and equality.Martin grew up in a loving family in the American South, at a time when this country was plagued by racial discrimination. He aimed to put a stop to it. He became a minister like his daddy, and he preached and marched for his cause.Abraham grew up in a loving family ...more
Published May 13th 2008 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about As Good as Anybody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about As Good as Anybody

Lindsey
SYDNEY TAYLOR AWARD WINNER (2009)

Format: Picture book
Age level: Elementary
Protagonist: Martin Luther King, Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel

Review:
This is a very unique story that tells of how Abraham Joshua Heschel came to the aid of Martin Luther King, Jr. at the time of the civil rights march in Selma. It begins the book with Martin as a child, and then it tells the story of Joshua as a child. It moves on to tell about their lives as grownups, up until the point where their paths cross. There ar
Paul Farbman
Feb 21, 2014 Paul Farbman rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Third Grade level
This is a wonderful story of both African American and Jewish civil rights. It is a 2009 winner of the Sydney Taylor award. This story follows the lives of two different American civil rights' leaders. One, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., was an African American Baptist minister, and the other, Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, was a Polish American immigrant.

The story begins by telling the tale of Martin's experiences with segregation in the South. It discusses how his parents' outlook guided him to b
Kristine
This is targeted at an audience young to older, grades 1st-6th. This book tells about to great men in different parts of the world that speak and live the same dream. This will keep kids involved by how these two men end up coming together even though one has the freedom now but helps the other stand up for whats right. Sydney Taylor Book Award 2009
Tam
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'd heard, of course, of Martin Luther King Jr., but was unfamiliar with Abraham Joshua Heschel. In this book, Richard Michelsen describes how the two men grew up in parallel situations and facing the same kinds of prejudice and hatred, Martin in the Jim Crow South, and Abraham in Nazi Germany. The two came together almost inevitably in 1965 in Selma, Alabama, and marched together for equal voting rights for all Americans. Michelsen's text, easy enough for beginning readers to manage on their ow ...more
Shelli
As Good as Anybody is a beautifully written true story about two men from different backgrounds coming together to march for equality for all; Martin Luther King, Jr. born in 1929 in Atlanta, Georgia and Abraham Joshua Heschel born in 1901 in Warsaw, Poland. Both men faced discriminated for different reasons in different parts of the world yet found friendship and respect in each other.
Kaylee Warzecha
A wonderful way to tell children about history. Also a great example of how everyone should be equal and have the same rights to life. Along with teaching history it reminds children to stick up for what they believe in and to love others for who they truly are. I also loved the pictures in this book. (non-fiction, picture)
Bridgid
A very approachable story for early childhood, it tells the basic story of MLK's life; also includes background of Abraham Joshua Heschel, a Jewish immigrant who fled Hitler in Poland and marched with Dr. King. No details about the death of Dr. King; some graphic images of dogs attacking protestors.
Diana Hanke
This book follows the story of two distinct and unique men who eventually joined forces in an actual display against prejudice. Each man's story is presented separately with a focus on their childhood and the influence of their fathers followed by their adult life and work. These stories then culminate in a description of the march for equal rights which brought them together. Both experienced prejudice and felt a compelling need to reverse the injustice that they both experienced. The story is ...more
Nicole
Jun 26, 2012 Nicole added it
Audience-Kindergarten-3rd grade students, students of any ethic background, African American students, students interested in the civil rights movement, classroom teachers, and librarians

Appeal- This book documents the actions of Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel's life in a very kid-friendly way. It gives valuable background of Martin and Abraham's experiences as children, which essentially shows why both of these men felt the need to stand up and fight for what they believed in
Maureen
This book takes on a new and unique look at Dr. Martin Luther King's marches for equality. This book shows that people beyond the African American culture understood and supported the plight of the African American's. The story begins with the familiar tale of Dr. Martin Luther King. Then it talks about Abraham Joshua Heschel who also suffered prejudice in Warsaw, Poland during the time of Hitler. He came to America for freedom and here he spoke out for peace and equal rights for everyone.

This i
Emilee
This book touched my heart. 2 men treated unfairly coming together to fight for their freedom.
A Jew a Black their story.

"I solemnly pledge to uphold the fair name of the Jews. Not only because we need their friendship, and surely we do, but mainly because bigotry in any form is an affront to us all." -Reverend Martin Luther King Jr.

"100 years ago, the emanicipation was proclaimed. It is time for the white man to strive for self-emanicpation, to set himself free of bigotry." -Rabbi Abraham Joshu
Ruth
This is the story of two men--Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel--and their fight against racism. The story follows their lives from childhood into adulthood. I like how the author writes about both boys, even echoes the same themes in their upbringing. Both boys admired their fathers, and followed in their footsteps. Both fathers advised their boys to take the higher ground and to not take revenge against the evil they see around them. The parallel storylines, and then their conv ...more
Marcy
I met the author when I was in Atlanta. My second graders LOVED this book. One American black boy, Martin, who lived in Atlanta - His white friends no longer wanted to play with him. One German, Jewish white boy, Joshua, living in Poland, suffering the verbal abuses of his peers. Both parents comfort them by telling them, "You're as good as anybody." They grow up with prejudice and hatred. Martin becomes a preacher. Joshua becomes a rabbi. Joshua escapes from Poland and joins Martin in the march ...more
Mary Ann
I liked this book - it shows, very simply, how Martin Luther King and Abraham Joshua Heschel were both striving for a better, more just world. This picture book follows Martin and Abraham as children discovering the injustice in the world. But both of their fathers told them that this is not the way the world has to be - we can make it a better place. As King says, “The way things are is not the way they always have to be.” And as Heschel says “Words must be followed by deeds.” I would say the b ...more
Michael Moriarty
Audience: 2nd to 4th Grade and a good tool for librarians teaching biography.

Appeal: The cover and the illustraions are very vivid in color and they look like crayon drawings that will appeal to this grade group. The story matches the pictures well and the text is not hard to understand, it is written in a way that quite a bit of information is condensed into a moving, informtive story. Good descriptions of the important events in the life of Dr. King and his inner feelings.

Awards: Sydney Taylor
babyhippoface
Michelson draws parallels between the upbringings, struggles, and values of 1960's civil rights leaders Martin Luther King, Jr. and Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel in this well-illustrated picture book. The somber tone echoes that of Doreen Rappaport's excellent My Friend Martin as a narrator describes harsh realities in the lives of both men and how they led to understanding and mutual respect. Raul Colon's mixed-media illustrations in earth tones and blues deepen the story's sense of history and ...more
Monique
Must have for every child...must read for Black History month and all year long.
Kristy
This book is awesome because it celebrates how two movements can work together - in this case, the work of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his collaboration with members of the anti-Semitism movement. I think many Americans perceive the Civil Rights Movement as something that was driven in isolation by African Americans, and I think that denigrates the movement as a whole. This book gives a larger picture.
Cindi
I absolutely LOVED this book. This book merges the stories of Martin Luther King Jr. with Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel. The first half of the book covers MLK's boyhood up to the point of his famous march. At that point, it breaks off and tells the story of Heschel. The book joins them up at the end as they marched together for a common purpose. Excellent message and illustrations.
Feb 27, 2008 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone, but especially those who are looking for books to inspire activism in the very young
This book is the most inspiring book about activism that I've read for children. Most kid's books about activists just tell about what a certain person did, they don't particularly inspire the reader to do anything. This book is amazing and gorgeous and talks about the importance of uniting all oppressed people even though the come from different backgrounds.
Alysa
Audience: It looks like a picture book and there are a lot of pictures but there are also a lot of words too. This book tells a great story of equality but it’s for third grade and up.

Appeal: The story is an amazing story I loved reading this book. It has good pictures and tells another side of equality.

The Sydney Taylor Book Award 2009
Roxanne Hsu Feldman
It's a solid book documenting a few key events in both men's young lives and their work as human rights activists. The split in telling the two stories and the very brief account of their work together leaves something to be desired. The illustrations are evocative and impeccable, as all Colon's works -- they definitely enhance the book's value by a lot!
Kennedi
I love this book and how it shows that those most discriminated against are just like anyone else. It talks about Martin Luther King, Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel and their march toward freedom. It gives children the opportunity to learn about a crucial time in our history in a simple, yet factual way. I would definitely recommend this book.
Becky
This was a simple, powerful book just perfect for Martin Luther King Day. I choked up at the end. Tommy was fascinated, especially when I told him this was a true story. He had so many questions and I felt American and Christian inside as I taught him about equality, civil rights, and respect for all.
Marianne
I really enjoyed this book on Martin Luther King, Jr and Abraham Joshua Herschel. Two of the most important figures of America's civil right movement. It tells the story of how they became the great men that they were. The illustrations are very good as well as touching the heart of a child.
Ms. LaPorte
:Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel's Amazing March Toward Freedom

A powerful picture book comparing the work of Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Joshua Heschel. Perfect book to compare the Civil Rights movement and the Holocaust.
Beth Chandler
The comparatively little-known story of Abraham Joshua Heschel's partnering with Martin Luther King in the civil rights movement. Well told, with wonderfully expressive quasi-pointillist art.
Christine Turner
The story of two icons for social justice, how they formed a remarkable friendship and turned their personal experiences of discrimination into a message of love and equality for all. www.hcpl.net
Ginger
The premise was a good one, to show two freedom fighters from sometimes mutually antagonistic camps sharing a cause; but it never quite comes together.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Busing Brewster Across the Alley Oh No, Not Ghosts! Tuttle's Red Barn Lipman Pike: America's First Home Run King