Start by marking “A Cousinly Connexion” as Want to Read:
A Cousinly Connexion

A Cousinly Connexion

Julian Stretton, Lord Meriden, wounded in the war and now home to assume family responsibilities is unexpectedly assisted by a practical young lady who is a distant relation.
Published January 1st 1985 by Walker & Company

To ask other readers questions about A Cousinly Connexion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Cousinly Connexion

Lyuda
Feb 07, 2017 Lyuda rated it liked it
Well, this is the case where the first half was pretty much 5-star read and then it started to drag, became less interesting due to a long separation of MCs (big no-no for romantic reads) with out of the blue culmination “I love you /let’s get married”.

It’s unfortunate because there are many aspects of the story I loved. It reminded me of Heyer’s The Unknown Ajax. Like Hugo, Julian (our hero) has been ignored and forgotten by his family, having grown up in his maternal grandfather's household.
Wealhtheow
Nov 11, 2009 Wealhtheow rated it liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Heyer, regency romances
Recommended to Wealhtheow by: Abigail A.
Shelves: historical, regency
Julian Stretton was shipped off to live with his grandparents at a very young age. Years later, while recovering from being badly wounded at Waterloo, he recieves word that his father and older brother have died within weeks of each other. He is now Lord Meriden. He has seven younger siblings to take care of, and a histrionic step-mother to deal with tactfully. Luckily, he also has the assistance of the children's cousin, Jane Ash.

There isn't much of a plot to this story; it is entirely about t
QNPoohBear
Aug 02, 2013 QNPoohBear rated it really liked it
Miss Jane Ash formed a tendre for Edward Wincanton, an Ensign in the Royal Navy when she was just 18. Her father forbid the match and Jane carried a torch for Edward, now Captain Wincanton, for the next 6 years. Now he has returned and Jane finds him repulsive. She knows they would not suit and refuses to marry him just because her father wants her to be married. She's perfectly content with keeping house for her father and older brother. When her Aunt Louisa writes to say her husband had died a ...more
Ilze
Sheila Simonson's "A Cousinly Connexion"
Like "Lady Elizabeth's Comet", this book is a wonderful depiction of Regency England, with all the details (language, dress, society, household details, farming, horses, climate, travel, etc etc) accurate for the time and place.

The story is about Jane Ash, a young woman who is in danger of being put "on the shelf" but who refuses to marry her persistent suitor simply because she has no other options - she'd rather live a spinster than marry someone she
Camy
Nov 12, 2012 Camy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love Sheila Simonson! I've read two of her books so far and they both have characters I love with witty dialogue and great storylines.

This book is a delight to read, with a sensible heroine with a great sense of humor. Jane is someone I would want as a best friend, kind and yet clear-sighted in her wit, without being sharp or caustic. The hero almost died at the battle of Waterloo and his injuries make him an interesting personality. I fell in love with him almost immediately.

It's t
Barb in Maryland
This is a very charming old-school Regency romance, very much in the Georgette Heyer mode. Not a lot happens of a dramatic nature and that is just fine. It is study in family relationships, with very enjoyable main characters. Julian Stretton, the new Lord Meriden, was badly injured at Waterloo and has been much delayed in taking up the reins of his inheritance. He has the requisite younger brother who is very tonnish. But Vincent is never made a figure of fun, nor is he a stock figure. Julian a ...more
Nenya
Aug 13, 2014 Nenya rated it it was amazing
The world is ordered for the convenience of men. They have every advantage. To be balking at the few poor weak weapons available to you—
h's aunt to h (on 'snaring' the H). good advice!
Miriam
Nov 10, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it
Recommended to Miriam by: Abigail A.
A pleasant Georgette-Heyer style romance.
Tess
Oct 03, 2016 Tess rated it liked it
Shelves: m-f-romances
Monique
I was definitely not expecting to love this book, much less put it on my favorite books' list. When I first picked this up, it did not come to me that this was the Sheila Simonson of the Clanross' and company. It is based in about the same time, and you can tell by the quiet strength that characterizes all of Simson's writing, but o how different this was from the other three I've read from her!
There is a certain levity, a certain spirit that this book has that her Clanross ones did not. While I
Diana
Dec 14, 2008 Diana rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
A Regency romance with a pastel cover and no Fabio paintings, I thought, would be full over over-emotional fluff without any of the fun sensuality that is the reward of reading romance. I was wrong. This book was strictly PG, but I found it an entertaining look at love growing between a very non-lofty lord and his stepmother's sensible and practical niece. Occasionally, it still dips into the melodrama, but otherwise I applaud Simonson on keeping these two characters likeable and pragmatic (most ...more
Susan
Jan 31, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My personal favorite of Sheila Simonson's Regency romances, this tells the story of Jane who comes to rescue her aunt and cousins from the clutches of the stepson, Julian, who inherits a load of debt, a tarnished title of baron, and a bunch of half siblings he's never met, after Jane's cousin, the heir, dies in a scandalous duel, and his father dies a week later of a heart attack. Julian is a far from simple character and not the blackguard he is painted by his hen-witted stepmother.
Erica Anderson
While I enjoyed this traditional Regency, it's not as strong a book as Lady Elizabeth's Comet, which I highly recommend. Even so, A Cousinly Connexion is very welcome given the dearth of trads out there.
Laylah
Jul 21, 2011 Laylah rated it really liked it
Reminding me of The Sound of Music somehow. Not as good as Lady Elizabeth's comet in my opinion, mostly because I feel her storytelling suits the first person POV more. It's just more romantic. Anyway, it's still a very very good regency romance.
CLM
Mar 08, 2008 CLM rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Rebecca
A beautifully written, very understated Austen-like novel. Highly recommended. Heroine Jane Ash is quite enjoyable.
Seema
Characterisation was great..story was well written..a little more connection between hero and heroine would have been nice
MB (What she read)
I was so pleased to find this long-lost old favorite made available as an e-book. It was a true joy to re-read!
BookwormWithGoggles
BookwormWithGoggles rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2013
Zelda
Zelda rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2011
Lalala
Lalala rated it it was amazing
Dec 07, 2011
Barb
Barb rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it it was amazing
Oct 07, 2012
Sarah Bean
Sarah Bean rated it really liked it
Mar 10, 2011
Elisabeth Waterman
Elisabeth Waterman rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2016
R G V
R G V rated it really liked it
Sep 15, 2016
Rosalie
Rosalie rated it really liked it
Sep 23, 2008
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Aug 09, 2010
Gayle
Gayle rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2011
Lee
Oct 12, 2013 Lee rated it it was amazing
“Excellent - very much in the Austen and/or Georgette Heyer style.”
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ms. Simonson writes mysteries and romantic fiction, and lives in the Pacific Northwest.
More about Sheila Simonson...