Start by marking “Big Dog... Little Dog” as Want to Read:
Big Dog... Little Dog

Big Dog... Little Dog

4.05 of 5 stars 4.05  ·  rating details  ·  2,088 ratings  ·  85 reviews
Meet best friends Fred (Big Dog) and Ted (Little Dog) in P. D. Eastman’s classic Beginner Book. Though one is big and one is little, and one loves green and one loves red, these pup pals—along with their helpful acquaintance, Bird—prove that opposites can be the very best of friends.

Originally created by Dr. Seuss, Beginner Books encourage children to read all by themselv
Published May 27th 2003 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1973)

To ask other readers questions about Big Dog... Little Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Big Dog... Little Dog

Trevor Wetzel
I love the book “Big Dog … Little Dog.” This book has been my favorite ever since I was very little. The story starts off by introducing the big dog and the little dog, Fred and Ted. It describes the two dogs, saying what they like, what characteristics they have and what they do. Fred and Ted then go to a trip to a mountain. Ted skied all day long and Fred skated all day long. Then, they go to sleep in a small hotel but, neither of them can sleep because Fred’s bed is too small and Ted’s bed is ...more
Amy
This book lived at Gramma's house when I was growing up, so I can't read about Ted and Fred without being flooded with memories of my own childhood! These dogs are witty and clever. A funny story about Big Dog...Little Dog: This book lived only in our collective memory for many years. My sister and I were almost convinced we were making it up, because no one seemed to know about it. Then, the weekend of my brother's wedding we were discussing it and asked if anyone knew about Ted and Fred. Jeff, ...more
Emerson
These two friends--Ted and Fred--are different: one big, one small, one fast, one slow, one skates, one skis. They are good friends and nothing is really made of their differences until their sleeping arrangements get mixed up! So I guess you could say that it teaches a lesson about accepting our differences. The Eastman books follow in the Dr. Seuss tradition but they are never quite as genius as a true Seuss. But they are VERY good.
Alexsandra Diaz
Big Dog…Little Dog is a great story of how opposite people can become best friends. This story show how each dog is different from one another but they are both able to look past their differences and become good friends. The only difference they struggle with is the sleeping arrangements but they still are friends. It is a fable story where animals come to life to tell a story this time about friendship. This story has good and clear illustrations for young children. The moral of this story is ...more
Tim Hackbarth
Big Dog, Little dog is an anthropomorphic book that explore two friends and their ability to solve problems on their daily adventures.

The dogs are living in regular human situations which is why I classify it as anthropomorphic. Fred and Ted go on several adventures. The difficulty comes because they have a size disparity as the title indicates. They also like opposite things. The conclusion of the book poses a problem that cannot solve without a third party (a bird).

Big Dog, Little Dog is a g
Angel Romero
Summary: Fred and Ted are two best friends. This story is a great math read aloud. Fred and Ted illustrate opposites. Fred is tall and ted is short. Many opposites are described in this great story.
This book is intended for kinder through first graders. The dogs are personified to describe opposites that essential for development. Children will feel connected to the characters.
Literature terms: Fred and Ted show personification. They speak and drive and paint houses. This strategy allows the d
Bree
P.D. Eastman writes a lot of the Dr. Suess I Can Read books so my daughter picked this up because it was familiar to her. This book had a very easy message and was stated on the last page: "Why make big problems out of small problems?"

Illustrations were the classic P.D. Eastman look. The story rhymed all the way through. 3 stars only because it didn't really jump out at me with story/words or illustrations. It was just average.
Bader
كتاب جميل سأذكر بعض النواحي التي اهتم بها مع ذكر أمثلة:
- المتضادات (طويل قصير ... (
- الألوان (الأحمر والأخضر على وجه الخصوص)
- الماضي والمضارع (era .. مضارع / esquio ... ماضي .. )
- أفعال جديدة (يحتاج الجزء هذا بذل المزيد من الوقت والجهد خاصة في البحث عن الحالات والتصاريف المختلفة لها للفائدة).

- مغزى القصة يذكره الطائر في آخر القصة. وهو "لماذا نبحث عن المشاكل حيث لاتوجد ".
قد يكون أيضًا يتحدث عن أن بعض الحلول تكون سهلة وهي من معرفة اختلافنا وكيف نقابل حاجاتنا مع هذا الاختلاف.

أضيف إلى ذلك: الرسوم بس
Kelsey
Fred and Ted go on many adventures together, but they always have a little bit of a different take because Ted is a little dog and Fred is a big dog. The book would be appropriate for teaching children vocabulary about comparing sizes.
Dianna
This is a great early reader. The story is simple and predictable. My daughter didn't know all the words, but she picked up on some new ones while we were reading it. And she liked the story.
Libby
Mar 05, 2013 Libby is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
The concept of opposites can be explored in a playful manner with Perro Grande. Perro Pequeno. Suitable for a child of 3, the repetitive text and rhyming foster a love for reading by promoting print motivation and developing the child’s vocabulary skills. Children at this age are requiring an explanation of things, so connecting them to a book such as this during a shared reading, only encourages deeper speech and language development. When a caregiver reads this book to a child, the practices e ...more
Summer
I thought this book was really funny. My son, however, cried through the entire story. I think we need to try it again.
Heather
Cute book full of opposites and a great message at the end: "Why make big problems out of little problems?"
Samantha
Fun book about two friends, Ted and Fred, who are very different yet get along fabulously. One is tall one is small, one drives fast one drives slow, one likes to skate and the other likes to ski. They get all mixed up when their bed arrangements are not correct, but figure it out in the end that big dogs need big beds and little dogs need little beds. My favorite line of the story was the birds; "why make big problems out of little problems?". I think the great moral behind this book is that ev ...more
Beth
Big Fred and Little Ted are good pals even though they have different interests and traits. This works well to make a comparison chart.
Fred Ted
has money broke
gets wet stays dry
plays flute plays tuba
likes spinach likes beets
likes green paint likes red paint
slow driver fast driver
ice-skates skies
The bird solves the sleeping arrangements difficulties and shares a valuable lesson.
"Why make big problems out of little problems?"
Heather
This book is the reformatted version. I believe it was expanded by the son.

My 4-yr-old LOVES this book. He thinks Fred and Ted are the funniest guys around. We've read this many, many times in the last week since buying it. He's even reading it himself - sounding out the words he's heard.

I like the book because it's easy for my begining readers. It also teaches size, opposites and problem solving. Even a little color - well, just red and green!

New storytime favorite. Both groups loved the opposites, and pointed out that they were in the wrong bed! Can be used for various themes: bedtime, opposites, friends, winter, etc.
Tam
This was a good book to show my 4-year-old the meaning of opposites.

Some are specific examples . . .
Fred is tall, Ted is short.
Fred has money. Ted is broke.
Upstairs. Downstairs.
Uphill. Downhill.

Some aren't exactly opposites but not the same either . . .
Fred plays the flute, Ted plays the tuba.
Fred eats spinach, Ted eats beets.
Fred drives a slow green car. Ted drives a fast red car.

Heidi
I think this was my favorite of "the Dog series."

5/14/14 Read this in my "Miss Heidi's Mom" preschool themed storytime. A lot of the kids were excited for the book because they had it at home. They liked telling me what the opposites were. I pointed out a few other things and overall the book went very well. The kids really liked it, which is nice considering how very simple it is as a story.
Kim T.
My kids and I had a good time with this book. We laughed and laughed. There are a number of ways that we used it for educational purposes. It was a delight.
Dianna
I loved this book. A short, simple parallel story about two different dogs who tend to do and be opposite things. They go stay in a little hotel, but the long dog gets the short bed and the short dog gets the long bed. Luckily a bird advises them to switch so they can get some rest.

I just love the simplicity of this story. I could read it over and over.
Connie
Simple enough for any kid with the bare basic proficiency in reading :)

Or, you could read it aloud to a younger child, that works too.

My nieces (5 and 2.5) request this book often enough. I'm not sure what grabs them - the opposites, Fred's plain bad luck, the silly problem and solution at the end - but they do like it a lot.
Evan
Ted and Fred got in the wrong beds. Fred's bed was too small. Ted's bed was to big. The bird told them to change beds.

The beds were in the small hotel in the mountains.

I liked the part when they got mixed up in the beds. That is it period. I didn't mean you to write that. He he ha ha! Dad can you please stop?
Rebecca Snodgrass
So you're teaching your Kindergarteners size difference in math? Read this book. Then compare the class sizes by measuring them along a wall or use the old fashioned trick by marking it on the door frame (piece of wood next to the door so you don't get in trouble).
Randie
Big Dog and Little Dog are best friends but they do everything differently...they go on a trip to the mountains and encounter a problem. Can they solve it?

My son especially liked the little bird found on most of the pages throughout the book.
Nancy
I checked this electronic book out of the Rockford Public Library. I wasnted some books to read to my grandchildren, when we vistied them in Arizona. I used to read P. D. Eastman books to our sons. The grandchildren enjoyed this book.
Erin
My favorite book from ages three to five. Truly epic. I found the page where Fred's hotel-room bed is too short while Ted's is too long particularly compelling. This isn't sarcasm; I can still picture that page in my mind to this day.
Vee
This is a good book of opposites, a great way to get familiar with some basic words and grammar in Spanish.

I purchased a cheap version via Apple's iBooks. I previewed the Amazon Kindle version, you can't zoom in at all.
Danny
Danny loves this story full of opposites, and frequently attempts to get his dad to read it to him during breakfast. My favorite part is: "Don't make big problems out of little problems." Words to live by.
Tori Walker
Will has been very into opposites lately, and he talks a lot about Big and Little. So, I got him this for Easter and it is his current favourite. He asks to read it for every story time.
  • The Eye Book
  • The Nose Book
  • Fred and Ted Go Camping (Beginner Books(R))
  • Morris the Moose
  • Bathtime for Biscuit
  • Going to the Firehouse
  • Old Hat, New Hat
  • Snow (Beginner Books)
  • Hooper Humperdink...? Not Him!
  • Curious George and the Firefighters (Curious George New Adventures)
  • Go, Train, Go!
  • There is a Bird on Your Head!
  • Philadelphia Chickens
  • I Love It When You Smile
  • Mouse Soup
  • It's Not Easy Being a Bunny
  • A Birthday for Frances
Philip Dey "Phil" Eastman was an American screenwriter, children's author, and illustrator. As an author, he is known primarily as P. D. Eastman. A protégé of Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss), Eastman wrote many books for children, in his own distinct style under the Dr. Seuss brand of Random House, many of which were in the Beginner Books series.

From 1936 to 1941, Eastman worked at the story departmen
More about P.D. Eastman...
Are You My Mother? Go, Dog. Go! The Best Nest Sam and the Firefly The Alphabet Book (Bright & Early Board Books)