Start by marking “Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years: Selections from the John F. Kennedy Library & Museum” as Want to Read:

4.49 of 5 stars 4.49  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  14 reviews
This illustrated volume celebrates the 40th anniversary of Jacqueline Kennedy's emergence as America's First Lady and explores her enduring global influence on style and fashion.
Published May 13th 2001 by Bulfinch (first published May 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years

Mrs. Kennedy and Me by Clint HillJackie, Ethel, Joan by J. Randy TaraborrelliThe Kennedy Women by Laurence LeamerRobert Kennedy by Evan ThomasBrothers by David Talbot
Best Books About the Kennedy Family
12th out of 112 books — 83 voters
Coco Chanel by Justine PicardieMarilyn by Norman MailerGrace Kelly Style by H. Kristina HauglandJacqueline Kennedy, The White House Years by Hamish BowlesAlexander McQueen by Andrew Bolton
Of Labels and Legends
4th out of 62 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Jane Cook
Great book, very insightful and gives you a deeper appreciation of the thought behind the fashion.
May 15, 2007 Tayla rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone interested in fashion/the Kennedys
This is an exquisite book with remarkable photos capturing Jacqueline Kennedy's time on her husband's campaigns and in the White House. The accompanying text is well written and an interesting read, and even includes copies of some handwritten notes from Jackie to her milliner and some of her frequently used designers. The true attraction, though, is the photography. The book was companion to an exhibit at the JFK Library of the same name and the clothes are wonderful reminders of a brief era of ...more
This was an enjoyable book. There were a few dresses that i really liked. I was surprised to see how many sleeveless dresses she wore. I do not remember seeing that many sleeveless photos, over the years. The sad part is that Mrs. Kennedy will be remembered for what she wore, not who she was or what she accomplished.
Nov 01, 2015 Monica rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: nf
This book contains information about the thought process Jackie Kennedy used when picking out her wardrobe, the reasons she chose what she chose. A lot of thought goes into the wardrobe of a First Lady, and this book shows exactly what this first lady wanted to show by wearing what she wore.

I have always admired Jacqueline Kennedy and it was fun to read this book in anticipation of visiting the White House. We didn't make it onto a tour but Kristy and I visited the White House Historical Society gift shop and I bought the book Jackie first published.
I did not read this book, I skimmed it and looked at the pictures reading only what was interesting to me. It was pages and pages of pictures of Jackie's clothes. They were beautiful. It made me long for these clothes to still be in style.
Kathie H
Aug 22, 2007 Kathie H rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
I saw the exhibit of Jackie's clothes at the Corcoran Gallery in Washington DC. I was moved to tears. This book is fabulous. If you're a fashionista, you will pore over this book. Jackie was truly an original.
This book is a fashion show of sorts, with photos and descriptions of Jacqueline Kennedy's wardrobe during her husband's presidency. Beautiful!
A. Thurman
Beautiful, beautiful photos, but doesn't hold a candle to the garments in person
So many photographs so much information this book is amazing.
Cynthia Friese-hassanein
Oh I have read this more than I care to admit! What a book!
I saw this exhibit when it was in NYC...amazing.
Jan 26, 2013 Nancy added it
This was interesting for the clothes.
Cindi McCoy
Cindi McCoy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Vita marked it as to-read
Nov 04, 2015
Marie marked it as to-read
Oct 04, 2015
kaleigh marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Kathi Jackson
Kathi Jackson marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
KADIE marked it as to-read
Sep 19, 2015
Elaine marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Cat Bryson
Cat Bryson marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Erdem Moralioglu
Erdem Moralioglu marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2015
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Sam Kyle
Sam Kyle marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2015
Sara marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2015
  • The Best Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy-Onassis
  • Listening In: The Secret White House Recordings of John F. Kennedy
  • Mrs. Kennedy: The Missing History of the Kennedy Years
  • American Legacy: The Story of John and Caroline Kennedy
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • All Too Human the Love Story of Jack and Jackie Kennedy
  • Grace and Power: The Private World of the Kennedy White House
  • Jackie After Jack: Portrait of the Lady
  • What Jackie Taught Us: Lessons from the Remarkable Life of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • American Son: A Portrait of John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life
  • Jackie Under My Skin: Interpreting an Icon
  • John F. Kennedy: In His Own Words
  • The World of Gloria Vanderbilt
  • Times to Remember
  • Sons & Brothers: The Days of Jack and Bobby Kennedy
Hamish Bowles is European editor at large for Vogue and editor in chief of Vogue Living. He was curator of the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s 2001 Costume Institute exhibition, “Jacqueline Kennedy: The White House Years.” He lives in New York, London, and Paris.
More about Hamish Bowles...