Start by marking “Failing America's Faithful: How Today's Churches Are Mixing God with Politics and Losing Their Way” as Want to Read:

Blending inspirational memoir with a religious and political rebuke of American Christianity, the oldest daughter of Senator Robert F. Kennedy delivers a rousing call to arms for spiritual renewal.
Published March 1st 2007 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Failing America's Faithful, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Failing America's Faithful

Danielle
Aug 03, 2008 Danielle rated it really liked it

For anyone who doesn't know KKT is the daughter of Robert F. Kennedy and the former lieutenant governor of Maryland. I saw her promoting this book on The Colbert Report. It sounded interesting so I picked it up. It actually wasn't quite what I was expecting based on the title. She spent a lot of time talking about her experience growing up in the Catholic church and how she felt that once upon a time politicians such as her uncle and her father strove to insert the ideals of social justice at th
Chris
Jun 15, 2007 Chris rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Christians wondering how to engage their faith in politics
Shelves: finished
A fresh and powerful account of biblically-based political action from a Catholic perspective. The book starts a bit slow with quite a lot of autobiography and family religious history. But Townsend starts to cook when she turns her attention to how the three major streams in the American church, Evangelicalism, Catholicism and mainline Protestantism are engaging, or failing to engage, in political action.
Mary
Aug 22, 2007 Mary rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Religious Democrats
Very thought provoking; Kathleen manages to put me in touch with my religious and political beliefs -- ouch!
Tara
Oct 10, 2008 Tara rated it it was amazing
GREAT book. Highly recommend it for any who is spiritual and bothered with current day organized religion.
Emily Ann Meyer
Oct 19, 2009 Emily Ann Meyer rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, policy, 2009, library
In part policy document, and in part memoir, this was a very compelling, surprisingly quick (I finished it in one day!), and thought provoking read. Townsend both outlines her issues with the current Christianity's (mainstream Protestant, evangelical, and her own Catholic church)general focus on personal religion to the detriment of a broader world view and the gospels' emphasis on loving the sinner and doing good by the less-fortunate.

Intermixed with that are some of Townsend's more personal i
Rodney Hinds
Oct 25, 2012 Rodney Hinds rated it liked it
It is ironic that a person with this huge amount of intellect can on the one hand chides the religious establishment for its damaging actions/views on sexuality and women’s health and then turns around and promotes the very same groups by encouraging their growth. From my perspective there is not enough good left in the Catholic Church, et al, to salvage. This reminds me of the story of the wife with four kids that seeks help from the social worker because her husband BEATS her every other week. ...more
Rebecca
May 05, 2013 Rebecca rated it liked it
Townsend has some interesting points and I agreed with some of them, but I felt this was a rather "preachy" book that tried to place too much emphasis on conveying a message that the author was a religious person and she wanted people to understand how much she knows about the church. I saw her on a talk show promoting this book, and I thought that I would absolutely love it. Unfortunately, I think that the book didn't really meet my expectations and it seemed way longer than it really was (it's ...more
Carol Brusegar
Dec 13, 2014 Carol Brusegar rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook version of this fascinating book by Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, daughter of Robert & Ethel Kennedy. It is clearly reflects her experiences and significant research into the role of the church, Roman Catholic and Protestant, in relation to social justice over the years. It provides background, raises issues, and promotes reflection about this important topic. It's also a call to action to Christians who are dismayed by the direction that the extreme right has pulled ...more
Margaret
Oct 18, 2012 Margaret rated it it was amazing
I felt like Kathleen Kennedy Townsend took the frustration and sadness that I've been feeling in this election year, and articulated very well how churches have gone from institutions that encourage social justice to focusing on the sins (mostly sexual) of individuals and, in the mean time, alienated the very flock they meant to bring into their fold. If all you have time for is one chapter, I recommend the last. She does an excellent job of outlining WWJD!
Jerome
Jul 24, 2013 Jerome rated it it was ok
While I agree with a lot of the points being made here, I found this book to be a tedious read. Most of the book is filled with the author's complaints, and only 10 pages are devoted to any kind of solution. Townsend advocates for a church that believes everything she values, and has a particular anti-evangelical bias. There are many better books on the topic.
Labarry
Jan 15, 2009 Labarry rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! It was a very interesting read, especially for a Catholic Woman. It's more about the church's loss of focus on people and social justice, and it's unhealthy obsession with one issue. A must read for all young Catholic Women. Even if you are a hardline Catholic.
Priscilla Herrington
Kathleen Kennedy Townsend writes about the infusion of right wing politics into America's religious life - to the detriment of congregants and citizens alike. She also deiscusses her own family in some detail.
Rahadyan
Jun 18, 2014 Rahadyan rated it really liked it
A thought-provoking book on progressive politics and faith, from a Roman Catholic perspective. While I'd received a review copy of this about seven years ago, some recent discussions with high school-era friends prompted me to pick this up again.

Recommended
Paul Canady
Oct 21, 2012 Paul Canady rated it really liked it
I greatly appreciated Townsend's perspective as a faithful Christian and concerns she has about the mixing of politics and religion. I think she presents a fair critique of both the left and the right.
Mariel Dennis
Jul 15, 2011 Mariel Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was moved by this book. A challenge it presents to put some feet to one's faith and to serve as Jesus did. That our role is not to judge but to love.
Greg
Nov 29, 2012 Greg rated it really liked it
It's comforting to find there are other people who see how religion and faith has been twisted into a political strategy.
Karen
Karen rated it really liked it
Oct 08, 2013
Maggie
Maggie rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2017
Ginger
Ginger rated it it was ok
May 30, 2013
David
David rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Greg
Greg rated it really liked it
May 02, 2012
MJ
MJ rated it really liked it
Mar 23, 2009
T Brasch
T Brasch rated it liked it
Aug 08, 2011
Russell Miller
Russell Miller rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
May 27, 2009
Cristina
Cristina rated it did not like it
Jun 22, 2015
Jim
Jim rated it it was ok
Jan 12, 2009
Shawn
Shawn rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2012
Matthew
Matthew rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2008
Sharon Waltermire
Sharon Waltermire rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2007