Start by marking “CSS Cookbook” as Want to Read:
CSS Cookbook

CSS Cookbook

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  181 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
As the industry standard method for enriching the presentation of HTML-based web pages, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) allow you to give web pages more structure and a more sophisticated look. But first, you have to get past CSS theory and resolve real-world problems.

For those all-too-common dilemmas that crop up with each project, "CSS Cookbook" provides hundreds of practic
Paperback, Second Edition, 516 pages
Published October 24th 2006 by O'Reilly Media (first published August 2004)

To ask other readers questions about CSS Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about CSS Cookbook

Matt
Dec 16, 2015 Matt marked it as to-be-considered

I was sort of fed up with this new design they use on Goodreads. Especially for the font they use on the review pages. A Sans-Serif font for a running text?! Give me break.

The easiest solution I found (so far) is to use a plugin for my browser with which I am able to adjust the styles of any webpage to make it look like I want. This plugin is called simply Stylish and you can download it from here:

(it's available for Firefox, Chrome, Safari, and Opera)

What I basic
Sebah
رغم أن نسخة الكتاب قديمة (2007) إلا أني تعلمت الكثير من المعلومات و استطعت تأكيد الكثير مما تعلمته بالتجربة مع السي إس إس.

أعجبني منهج الكتاب المتبع: قسم الكتاب على فصول، في كل فصل يتناول جانب من جوانب السي إس إس، و بدلا من تقدم المعلومات بأسلوب شرح ممل و نظري، لجأ إلى طرح "مسائل" و "مشاكل" قد يواجهها المصمم و التي تتعلق بالفصل، ثم يقدم الجواب للمسألة مع شرح الأساسات المتعلقة بها. فـ تعلمت الأساس النظري في محيط عملي. كان ممتعا جدا.

هناك الكثير الذي أود تدوينه، لكن وقتي لا يسعفني. و أريد الانتقال
Dec 08, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
CSS Seconds: The CSS Cookbook is written for those starting out with CSS and advanced users. It is not written as a tutorial in order to learn CSS but anyone with a basic grip on CSS will find the book a valuable companion. The clear explanations of many of the pitfalls we come across when writing CSS are simply stated in an easy to look up format.
Even though you may not want to read the book front to cover I think its a great experience to just pick your chapters by what interests you most and
Becky
Jul 26, 2009 Becky rated it liked it
I picked this up to see if I could supplement my self-taught CSS knowledge with some book-learnin', and this was the best book my library had.

The book format is very utilitarian; it arranges its information into "recipes." Each recipe contains a task that needs to be completed, followed by an explanation of how to do it with style sheets (and sometimes Javascript). I can imagine it would be a really good reference book to have around for this reason.

The actual explanations were okay, if a bit un
Melissa
Feb 09, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I found this to be a great quick-reference, and with my last project I pulled a number of ideas from the book, such as styling the first line of a paragraph and swapping bullet points for images in an unordered list.

The book is organized in a problem/solution format, so if you're looking for a comprehensive list of CSS syntax, hacks, etc., I'd go for something more along the lines of SitePoint's CSS: The Ultimate Reference, but if you're looking for different ways to approach problems, like cen
John Chilton
Jul 13, 2010 John Chilton rated it liked it
This book succeeds in some places and gets fairly bogged down in others. I cannot hold that against it too much though, I read it straight through, but it probably is much better as a reference. Despite some flaws, this book has some real strengths. Unlike a lot of technical book, this book is rooted deeply in the practical. It mentions JavaScript solutions where they are useful. It has lots of links to blog posts and websites with additional information. Some books are written by people paid to ...more
Britt Freeman
A bit outdated but otherwise decent reference.
Caryl Westerberg
Oct 04, 2009 Caryl Westerberg rated it it was ok
Shelves:
Lots of CSS examples to wrap your mind around. I think there must be some errors, or some of the examples just do not make sense.

I wish some of these examples were more fleshed out. The CSS is given with no HTML usage or example of the effect. Since I'm still learning CSS, this make it challenging.
Will Smith
Jan 03, 2008 Will Smith rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
Its more of a reference, but I'm always reading it to get new ideas. The only problem i have with this book is- because I'm learning on my own and this is second edition - it assumes i know a lot more than i actually do, so i have a hard time understanding some of its concepts
Mike
Feb 17, 2010 Mike rated it it was amazing
I can't say I've read this book cover-to-cover, but of all my CSS books, I find this is the one I refer to the most. Actually, I have a number of O'Reilly "Cookbook" technical books, and they are uniformly the most useful books of my collection.
Ezequiel Delpero
Sep 03, 2012 Ezequiel Delpero rated it really liked it
The best thing about this book is the way to explain you things.
Meryl Evans
Jan 15, 2010 Meryl Evans rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I helped behind the scenes in this book.
Caryl Westerberg
Cool to learn all sorts of fun ways to use CSS.
Sooraj Raju
Aug 14, 2008 Sooraj Raju rated it really liked it
Shelves:
Part of starting the new business.
Faraz Hassani
Faraz Hassani rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2016
Zachary
Zachary rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2016
F.
F. marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Mer Ida
Mer Ida marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Amelia Matthews
Amelia Matthews rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2016
Raghootham
Raghootham marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it it was ok
Mar 08, 2016
Glen Ritschel
Glen Ritschel marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
James Hannigan
James Hannigan marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Andrew Thorburn
Andrew Thorburn marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Johanna Go
Johanna Go marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2016
John G. Phillips
John G. Phillips rated it it was amazing
Feb 23, 2016
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Joseph Kamania
Joseph Kamania rated it liked it
Feb 10, 2016
  • Head First JavaScript
  • HTML & XHTML: The Definitive Guide
  • Simply JavaScript
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Bulletproof Web Design: Improving Flexibility and Protecting Against Worst-Case Scenarios with XHTML and CSS
  • PHP Cookbook
  • Web Design in a Nutshell: A Desktop Quick Reference
  • Designing With Web Standards
  • Creating a Web Site: The Missing Manual
  • Pro Html5 Programming: Powerful APIs for Richer Internet Application Development
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »