Start by marking “The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table” as Want to Read:
The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  90 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the Preface by Alfred W. Pollard:

"There is much repetition in the Morte d'Arthur as Malory left it. How often Sir Breuse sans Pitie played his ugly tricks, or Tristram rescued Palomides, or minor knights met at adventure and emulated their betters, it is not easy to count. I have tried to clear away some of the underwoods that the great trees may be better seen, and t
Published March 1st 1977 by Weathervane Books (first published 1917)

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

I read this book completely for the illustrations, ad as per usual with Rackham's work I was not disappointed. The large colour panels are what most people are drawn to with his work, but I was just as appreciative of the b&w line drawings scattered throughout the text. Many were simply decorative and didn't depict a specific scene from the tales, but Rackham's mastery of line is still clearly showcased in each illustration.

I couldn't actually choose a favourite colour piece, as there are t
Abridged, but the Rackham illustrations make up for that.
I first came to King Arthur with a small book with the tales retold by Charles Kingsley.
That sold me...for good.

Then I saw the MGM movie with Robert Taylor as Sir Lancelot, Ava Gardner as Guinivere and Mel Ferrer, unkindly described as " a wet charge of powder " by one critic,as an idealistic but whimpy King Arthur. (But Stanley Baker made a superb villan.)
Who cared!! In 1953 this was MGM's first Cinemascope production, even shot in England (with American accents.)

Years later I saw the Round Ta
A book for book-lovers. Malory and Rackham. Excalibur! Originally published in 1917 as an abridgement of the classic MORTE D'ARTHUR, this is the 1979 reprint featuring those gorgeous illustrations of Merlin and Arthur and Launcelot and Galahad. You will believe.

Given the number of knights it is sometimes hard to weed out the forest, but my favorite is Sir Tristram. If he lived today, he would be a beach dude...with a deadly sword. So cool, so easy-going (Launcelot tends to veer on the moody side
Chuck King
One gets a bit tired of the same stories told over and over . . . only the names changing, basically. And seriously, how lame was the kind of chivalry the Romance celebrates? Still, it bears reading, even before the final section, which inspired "Camelot." I have to say that I did enjoy reading such archaic English, for such a long story!
Tim B
The dialogue in the book is old English and sometimes hard to follow. It's also repetitive with tournaments and jousts in every chapter. Lots of violence too. Still, the book gives all the details to the stories I've heard and read about King Arthur.
Great story, but the real value is, of course, Rackham's illustrations, which are tremendous.
Jared Detter
I think the tales of King Arthur may be the best mythopoeic story cycles ever written.
Aug 04, 2012 Kim added it
Love the classics.
Bryan added it
Sep 28, 2015
Jose Luis
Jose Luis marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Odette marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2015
Whitney Canterbury
Whitney Canterbury marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2015
Alexa marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
Julie Morgan
Julie Morgan marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2015
Maddy Salehi
Maddy Salehi marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2015
The Julian LIbrary
The Julian LIbrary marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2015
Sherry Sasser
Sherry Sasser marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Bradley Parks
Bradley Parks marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2015
Suzanne marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2015
Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
KC marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
Shawkat Kamal
Shawkat Kamal marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2015
Emily marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
  • The Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Arthurian Legends
  • Arthur's Britain
  • The Quest for Arthur's Britain
  • Merlin and the Dragons
  • The Story of Sir Launcelot and His Companions
  • The Death of King Arthur
  • Heroes of the Dawn: Celtic Myth (Myth and Mankind)
  • The Devil May Care: Fifty Intrepid Americans and Their Quest for the Unknown
  • Guinevere Evermore (Guinevere, #3)
  • Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
  • The Arthurian Legends
  • The Age of Anxiety: A Baroque Eclogue
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • The Coming of the King (Books of Merlin, #1)
  • For Camelot's Honor (The Paths to Camelot, #2)
  • Now It Can Be Told
  • The Long Week-End: A Social History of Great Britain, 1918-39
  • Jerusalem
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.
More about Thomas Malory...
Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2 Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 1 Complete Works