Start by marking “The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table” as Want to Read:
The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  82 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the Preface by Alfred W. Pollard:

"There is much repetition in the Morte d'Arthur as Malory left it. How often Sir Breuse sans Pitie played his ugly tricks, or Tristram rescued Palomides, or minor knights met at adventure and emulated their betters, it is not easy to count. I have tried to clear away some of the underwoods that the great trees may be better seen, and t
Published March 1st 1977 by Weathervane Books (first published 1917)

Be the first to ask a question about The Romance of King Arthur and His Knights of the Round Table

Jaimie
I read this book completely for the illustrations, ad as per usual with Rackham's work I was not disappointed. The large colour panels are what most people are drawn to with his work, but I was just as appreciative of the b&w line drawings scattered throughout the text. Many were simply decorative and didn't depict a specific scene from the tales, but Rackham's mastery of line is still clearly showcased in each illustration.

I couldn't actually choose a favourite colour piece, as there are t
Valerie
Abridged, but the Rackham illustrations make up for that.
Wayne
I first came to King Arthur with a small book with the tales retold by Charles Kingsley.
That sold me...for good.

Then I saw the MGM movie with Robert Taylor as Sir Lancelot, Ava Gardner as Guinivere and Mel Ferrer, unkindly described as " a wet charge of powder " by one critic,as an idealistic but whimpy King Arthur. (But Stanley Baker made a superb villan.)
Who cared!! In 1953 this was MGM's first Cinemascope production, even shot in England (with American accents.)

Years later I saw the Round Ta
GoldGato
A book for book-lovers. Malory and Rackham. Excalibur! Originally published in 1917 as an abridgement of the classic MORTE D'ARTHUR, this is the 1979 reprint featuring those gorgeous illustrations of Merlin and Arthur and Launcelot and Galahad. You will believe.

Given the number of knights it is sometimes hard to weed out the forest, but my favorite is Sir Tristram. If he lived today, he would be a beach dude...with a deadly sword. So cool, so easy-going (Launcelot tends to veer on the moody side
Chuck King
One gets a bit tired of the same stories told over and over . . . only the names changing, basically. And seriously, how lame was the kind of chivalry the Romance celebrates? Still, it bears reading, even before the final section, which inspired "Camelot." I have to say that I did enjoy reading such archaic English, for such a long story!
Tim B
The dialogue in the book is old English and sometimes hard to follow. It's also repetitive with tournaments and jousts in every chapter. Lots of violence too. Still, the book gives all the details to the stories I've heard and read about King Arthur.
Martin
Great story, but the real value is, of course, Rackham's illustrations, which are tremendous.
Jared Detter
I think the tales of King Arthur may be the best mythopoeic story cycles ever written.
Kim
Aug 04, 2012 Kim added it
Love the classics.
Jose Vidal
Jose Vidal marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
Zag
Zag marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Caramel07
Caramel07 is currently reading it
Mar 23, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Redsteve
Redsteve marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Jennifer Tait
Jennifer Tait marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
  • Shadowplay: The Hidden Beliefs and Coded Politics of William Shakespeare
  • The Arthurian Encyclopedia
  • The Arthurian Legends
  • The Age of Anxiety: A Baroque Eclogue
  • Guinevere Evermore (Guinevere, #3)
  • Jerusalem
  • The Quest for Merlin
  • The Idylls of the Queen: A Tale of Queen Guenevere
  • Under Camelot's Banner (The Paths to Camelot, #3)
  • Saxo Grammaticus: The History of the Danes, Books I-IX: I. English Text; II. Commentary
  • Heroes of the Dawn (Myth and Mankind)
Sir Thomas Malory was a knight in the fifteenth century, who, while imprisoned, compiled the collection of tales we know as Le Morte D'Arthur, translating the legend of King Arthur from original French tales such as the Vulgate Cycle.
More about Thomas Malory...
Le Morte d'Arthur: King Arthur and the Legends of the Round Table King Arthur and His Knights: Selected Tales Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 2 Le Morte d'Arthur, Vol. 1 King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table Ultimate Collection