Start by marking “The Brand Gap: How to Bridge the Distance Between Business Strategy and Design” as Want to Read:

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,808 Ratings  ·  103 Reviews
THE BRAND GAP is the first book to present a unified theory of brand. Whereas most books on branding are weighted toward either a strategic or creative approach, this book shows how both ways of thinking can unite to produce a "charismatic brand"--a brand that customers feel is essential to their lives. In an entertaining two-hour read you'll learn:
- a new definition of
Published January 24th 2003 by New Riders Press

Jason
Jan 15, 2013 Jason rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe this book is more for "Social tweet blog 2.0 identity transformation consultants" than designers, but I started reading this on the subway this morning and quickly became worried that someone would a) recognize me, b) recognize the book, and then c) slap me across the face, hard.

Definitely read this if you like vague generalities and unwarranted assertions. One particular gem:

"Logos are dead! Long live icons and avatars! Why? Because logos as we known them--logo-types, monograms, abstract
The Book Nazi

Brand’ is probably one of the most hyped words in marketing today. Everyone talks about ‘building your brand’ but what does that really mean?

In The Brand Gap, Marty Neumeier takes a clear shot at defining this often misunderstood marketing principle and nails his target. The result is an easy-to-read overview of what a brand is and how you can get one.

Neumeier starts by defining what a brand is not – it isn’t a logo. It isn’t your corporate identity system complete with fonts and colors. And it’
Emma
Jan 19, 2008 Emma rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: people who want an easy and fun primer on branding
Awesome. You might need a magnifying glass to read some of the tiny print captions. But overall, a fun and quick intro to branding. I am all jazzed about branding now. It's not, for instance, just this esoteric big-company marketing buzzword. It's just your gut feeling about something. Which is only partly determined by a company's marketing efforts. It's determined by the sum of people's experience with the company, which marketing usually forms the first line of, but it's deeper than that. It' ...more
Talia
Aug 21, 2011 Talia rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Read this quick book on the way back from our annual planning meeting, based on the enthusiastic recommendation of our lead graphic designer. Unfortunately I did not find it as compelling as he did--probably because I am one of those analytical words people, not a "creative." The most interesting thoughts gathered from the well-designed short story:
1. A brand is not a logo (wish I could shout that off the roof sometimes at work). Also, brand is not an identity guide.
2. "Creativity...requires an
Suzanne
Well, Neumeier achieved his promise of a book you could read in a short plane ride. Concise book that gives an overview of branding. The first chapter where he defines what branding is was my favorite. Some quotes:

"A brand is a person's gut feeling about a product, service, or company. It's a GUT FEELING because we are all emotional, intuitive beings, despite our best efforts to be rational. It's a PERSON's gut feeling, because in the end the brand is defined by individuals, not by companies, ma
Bucket
This was a very quick read, with not one word more than needed to be said. The glossary at the back is a great resource. For the most part, the book isn't mind-blowing, but it does put a lot of current thought about branding succinctly and is a good jumping off point for taking on a branding project. I was particularly attracted to the idea that 'tribes' (or intimate worlds that people participate in) form around brands. It's not a new-to-me idea generally, but this way of conceptualizing it is ...more
Leader Summaries
Desde Leader Summaries recomendamos la lectura del libro La brecha de las marcas, de Marty Neumeier.
Las personas interesadas en las siguientes temáticas lo encontrarán práctico y útil: marketing y ventas, gestionar marcas y posicionamiento.
En el siguiente enlace tienes el resumen del libro La brecha de las marcas, Cómo crear una marca carismática y convertirla en imprescindible para la vida de los clientes: La brecha de las marcas
Ola Olusoga
Mar 09, 2016 Ola Olusoga rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: creation
Great book around what branding is and how it functions for a company. It bridges the gap between left and right brain. This is a great reference for creatives who need context around creative strategy.

Branding IS NOT your logo (a logo is a trademark), identity system, or your product!

A/your brand is a person's gut feeling about a product, service, or company. GUT because we're all emotional creatures, not rational, and at the end a company's brand is defined by individuals, each person creates
Jason
Jul 30, 2010 Jason rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Culture jammers
Recommended to Jason by: *Poker Without Cards,* Ben Mack
The Brand Gap is a condensed, highly visual treatise on the idea of the brand--"a person's perception of a product, service, experience, or organization"--and of branding--the theory and practice, "logic and magic" of establishing and cultivating these perceptions.

I'm not in the business of business, and so some of the jargon (like "value chain") was unfamiliar. Although the book is ostensibly about business, the book's insights into the nature of branding are a tool box for all cultural creati
Riley
Jul 16, 2010 Riley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As noted by the author, this was meant to be a “whiteboard overview” readable in a short flight, so I was about to cover it in a few hours. It had been a while since I had revisited any branding topics, so this was a nice easy read with some good general insights.

A great example was in the initial few pages on how to think about a brand. “To use Plato’s example, whenever we hear the word “horse” we visualize a majestic creature with four legs . . . that a person can ride long distances on its ba
Robert
Jul 25, 2008 Robert rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marty Neumeier
Peachpit Press

This is an expanded edition of a book first published in 2003. In it, Neumeier develops in greater depth several basic ideas about how to bridge a gap between business strategy and design. My own experience suggests that on occasion, there may be a conflict or misalignment rather than a "gap." Or the business strategy is inappropriate. Or the design concepts are wrong-headed. Or the executio
Brittany
Oct 31, 2008 Brittany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Business professionals, Students, Advertising professionals interested in branding
Recommended to Brittany by: Myself
Shelves: nonfiction, marketing
How I Came To Read This Book: In prep for my job at my current place of work, I felt like I should brush up more or the world of branding.

The Story: Neumeier's books are a combination of picture book, real-life examples, and strategy insight. The Brand Gap focuses on the five points that any brand could (and should) use to strengthen their brand. The five points are Differentiate, Collaborate, Innovate, Validate, and Cultivate...but you really have to read the book to get what those mean.

The Goo
Nana Cuellar
Oct 01, 2014 Nana Cuellar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I know next to nothing about branding, so The brand gap was exceedingly helpful and a pretty good starting point, as it presents clear language, simple concepts and plenty of examples. I imagine this book would not be as useful to someone who's already working in advertising or has some previous knowledge of the world of branding, but it was definitely insightful for me.

Particularly loved the glossary at the back of the book, since I never studied or worked in advertising.
Sumaya
Aug 17, 2015 Sumaya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this book if you don't have the basic terminology in Business/Marketing/Management
As myself.
The book is very informative yet entertaining!
It clarifies the factors behind creating a sustainable brand through five stages: differentiate, collaborate, innovate, validate and cultivate.
The visuals of the book are smart as well as the examples embedded into it.

Obeida Takriti
كتاب بسيط بيخلص بربع ساعة..
بيشرح ببساطة وبطريقة صورية مبادئ في عملية تسويق العلامة التجارية..
أو بالأحرى
Branding
اللي ما ألها ترجمة مرضية باعتقادي..

التسويق لأي منتج أو خدمة أو شركة أو شخص لديه قوانين وممارسات عالمية وليس كما يعتقد الناس مبنية فقط على الدعايات وقوتها وانتشارها بل على الوضوع والتناسق مع هوية الشركة..

مجال مثير للاهتمام
Luce
Mar 11, 2016 Luce rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Komplexní, stručné, výstižné. Dokonalý návod k tomu, jak pochopit, co značka je a co není, jak ji vybudovat, čemu se vyvarovat, na co klást důraz. Zajímavé příklady, tipy a doporučení pro vlastní použití. Výborná teorie a myslím, že pořád platná.
Jakub Hejdánek načetl velmi dobře, jeho hlas k obsahu nahrávky sedí.
Amanda
This was a really great book, with great information about branding. I read this for a book club, and I look forward to our discussion.

The bad stuff:
For me, I feel like Neumeier lost a bit of credibility with the design of this book. A lot of what he talks about is design, and with his bio saying he was a graphic designer, I question this book. The only reason I say this is because the type in this book is set with very little attention to the gutter. This makes some pages hard to read, and it
Mai
Jun 10, 2015 Mai rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a book that gets straight to the point. A bit repetitive, but most of these types of books are. It took me 2 hours to get through so great for a flight. I would like to see updated examples since it was published in 2006.
Jen
A pretty nifty, quick read into the big Kahuna that is branding. I particularly like the overview at the end of the book that highlights the key points (I skimmed some parts that ventured a bit too much into mumbo-jumbo territory, but seeing as I'm not a marketer, I think that's understandable!). Also picked up some good tips on testing a brand at its prototype stage. Swapping icons/avatars with existing brands/or competitors? I'd never thought of that idea, but it's quite genius! And I like the ...more
Alisa
May 24, 2013 Alisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I could see why this book was popular. The supremacy of brand to the business organization. I guess it feels dated because of the lack of customer-centricity...although he makes good points on why testing/consumer insight is important. But co-creation of brand with your customers should have been emphasized -- even though written in the early '00s those ideas were floating around marketing circles.

I liked the part best where he talks about positioning and competition. Your brand has to be #1 or
Robert Johnson
For someone that isn't the marketing industry, and doesn't have any baggage that goes along with it, this book was underwhelming. I just didn't have any preconceived notions.
Rick Austin
I'm a fan of Marty Neumeier from his other work The Designful Company which we used in a book club at work. This book hits the primary elements of branding in an engaging and easy to read format which is typical of this author. Many of the concepts found in The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding will be found in this book though without the depth you would find in The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding.

A couple of items that really hit me are the importance of "living" your brand. So often companies creat
Annet
Mar 22, 2015 Annet rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'To begin building your brand, ask yourself three questions: 1. Who are you; 2. What do you do? 3. Why does it matter? ... A brand is not what you say it is, it is what they say it is....When everyone zigs, zag.'

I spend a lot of time on branding issues in my job right now and was recommended this book by our creative agency. Lots of what I call 'open doors' but also some new insights, food for thought. Reads easily. The brand glossary in the back of the book is really good.
Peter
Jul 24, 2014 Peter rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Another management book from TSOTBO....(the School of the Bloody Obvious). It'll help if you're doing a "marketing degree" and you struggle with the simple stuff.
Melody
Marty Neumeier has written a systematic presentation of the topic of building and defining a brand that caused me to reexamine what I though I knew about branding.
Zhanghan
Mar 30, 2015 Zhanghan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first branding book I've read. Very concise but powerful.The most useful parts for me are the introduction about what branding is and the first discipline: differentiate.
Felipe
Apr 24, 2016 Felipe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
A simple and direct approach to branding, going from commonsense information to powerful insights. Great cost/benefit. Worth reading.
Eric De Feo
Jul 24, 2015 Eric De Feo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good, quick reference book. Very clear and concise, just very high level. I would have around as a quick refresher in the office.
Nourane
Jun 06, 2015 Nourane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple, funny and smart guide, not just for marketing and branding. Those tips can be helpful in all your life aspects. I recommend it for anyone who is starting his career.
Jason Fahlström
Used it for all my marketing communications courses. Solid marketing/branding foundational book.
  • Truth, Lies, and Advertising: The Art of Account Planning
  • Visual Grammar
  • Graphic Design Theory: Readings from the Field
  • 79 Short Essays on Design
  • Emotional Branding: The New Paradigm for Connecting Brands to People
  • A New Brand World: Eight Principles for Achieving Brand Leadership in the Twenty-First Century
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • The End of Print: The Graphic Design of David Carson
  • Designing for People
  • Make It Bigger
  • Making and Breaking the Grid: A Graphic Design Layout Workshop
  • Cutting Edge Advertising: How to Create the World's Best for Brands in the 21st Century
  • The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding: How to Build a Product or Service Into a World-Class Brand
  • Pick Me: Breaking Into Advertising and Staying There

“1) Who are you? 2) What do you do? 3) Why does it matter?” 0 likes
“Even back in the command-and-control days of the production line, Henry Ford’s decision to manufacture automobiles was driven by intuition rather than market research. “If we had asked the public what they wanted,” he explained, “they would have said ‘faster horses.” 0 likes