Start by marking “The White Mouse” as Want to Read:
The White Mouse

The White Mouse

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  191 ratings  ·  25 reviews
The Gestapo called her White Mouse. Nancy Wake, an Australian who became one of the most highly decorated women of WW II, here she tells her own story.
216 pages
Published (first published 1986)

Michael Todd
I didn't want this book to end and I'm going to miss Nancy Wake's company. In addition to a story you won't want to put down, the book's "warts and all" candor about the French, British and Americans is refreshing. Her opinions are valid, being she was an Australian, trained in England to fight in the French Resistance.

Nancy's very humble about her adventures, considering everything she went through and her sense of humor is wicked. The death of her husband from the hands of the Nazis takes you
Doug Beddie
I personally knew Nancy Wake & her 2nd Husband John when they were living in Port Macquarie & heard some of her history 1st hand, She was an amazing woman.
Eunice Biblioceraptor
Aug 19, 2012 Eunice Biblioceraptor marked it as to-read
Such a badass. And a much better role-model for young girls, cf. some people/books/characters I will not mention.
Brenda
This is an autographed copy from this amazing lady!
Wayne
Sep 14, 2011 Wayne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure lovers and admirers of gutsy ladies
Recommended to Wayne by: Russell Braddon
Nancy Wake died recently at 98.
I first read the Russell Braddon biography in the late 1960's.
An excellent writer.
But I was thrilled to see that the secondhand volume I had purchased several years ago was actually an autobiography. With Nancy gone I really wanted to hear HER voice - and it was as refreshingly direct and honest as I had expected.

Nancy was a stunningly beautiful young woman.
She was also gutsy, feisty, sexy, daring, fun-loving, hard drinking,
straight forward, a faithful friend ...an
Delle Shepherd
A true-life account of SOE Nancy Wake, aka The White Mouse. Reads like a thriller - my heart was pounding as Nancy set up links with Resistance workers, drove ambulances, transported black market goods, exchanged messages, came face to face with the Gestapo and was placed under arrest. Nancy Wake was tough and resourceful yet very feminine, and this book gives a 360 view of this fantastic lady, her love for her husband and dogs,and the grand lifestyle she gave up to fight. (On a purely girly not ...more
Patrice
Awesome book that needs to be reissued so more people can read it. I borrowed it from my local library through interlibrary loan. Highly recommend.
Fred Charles
An exciting and easy to read book.
Maybe not a comparable piece of literature to a top selling thriller writer, that is not what the book is about. It is a true story of a courageous lady who risked her life repeatedly to help others in WWII France. Her business was liberating France from an angry army who desperately wanted her dead.
Edwina Hall Callan
This woman was a Hero and led a fascinating life, and yet, her book reads like a long list of facts and was incredibly boring.
Deborah Ideiosepius
I enjoyed it for its subject matter and its forthright style. The story of how an Australian woman living in France came to be an active resistence worker in WWII. The style is very brisk and blunt - it resonates as if a strightforward person were telling you about their experiences directly with no litrary artifacts. nancy becomes a real person to the reader very fast and her matter of fact way of dealing with the story is bracing.

I give it less than four stars only because this style of writi
Natalie
Fantastique biographie d'une femme qui à mériter la croix de guerre plus que beaucoup d'hommes!

Sous estimée mais jamais amère. Elle n'aimait pas la guerre, mais elle aimait la liberté de penser, et de vivre. Et elle était prête a mourir et tuer pour l'obtenir. Cette ténacité, cette force implacable ce retrouve dans ces propre mots. Lisez ce livre!

Quelle femme extraordinaire, de sang froid et gueule de ferre. Biographie magnifique et rare. D'une femme exemplaire, de ce que nous sommes capable...
Kathryn
Summary: Nancy Wake = Super Cool Resistance Fighter/Socialite

Why I Read This: BIOGRAPHIES!

Review: I actually enjoyed this. It was my second Nancy Wake book, so I didn't pay as much attention as to the first one, but I like that Nancy chose random things to pay a lot of attention to. For example, you get 1 paragraph on how the Marquis she'd attached herself to escapes from thousands of German troops. But, you get, like, 6 pages on how much fun she had messing with other refugees on the trip acros
Bridgette
No. I cannot read this. It is not well written and she is not interesting to me. I find the narrative to be laden with names and events that are jammed in, references that often feel superfluous to what is (apparently) the central plot and a very slow slow pace. I would much prefer to read a biography of her written by someone that could write.

Nicolle
I quite enjoyed reading this book, it was intersting to find out about Nancy's life as a spy during WW2. She achieved some amazing things. Even though she was born an Aussie, she really didnt spend that much time here and much preferred living in France and England.
Sandy Neal
How a woman participated as a spy during WWII: the risks and consequences, the personality of one famous, still living spy and her words about that life. I read this for a book club. I was left with more questions.
'Lana
As horrible as it sounds, I actually preferred her biography written by Peter Fitzsimmons.
Sarah Burns
Loved it, she is truly an inspiration. Will have read it again!
Vicki
A wonderful book by an amazing woman who led an incredible life.
Cara
loved will re read she was an inspiring woman
Sherri Stephens
She was an absolutely amazing woman.
Jenney
Feb 02, 2012 Jenney rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
Highly recommended, hard to put down.
Devorah
Great!! Highly recommend.
Mary Jean Phillips
My new favorite British lady.
Janna
Fantastic and informative
Bridgette
Bridgette marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2015
Kirstin
Kirstin marked it as to-read
Joanne Hall
Joanne Hall marked it as to-read
Anneidge
Anneidge marked it as to-read
Does anyone have a copy to lend? 3 13 Jul 31, 2012 04:53PM
  • Enigma: The Battle for the Code
  • Outwitting the Gestapo
  • Sophie Scholl and the White Rose
  • The Gestapo: A History of Horror
  • A Life in Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII.
  • The Life and Death of Mary Wollstonecraft
  • Behind Enemy Lines: The True Story of a French Jewish Spy in Nazi Germany
  • A Girl From Schindlers List
  • The Madame Curie Complex: The Hidden History of Women in Science
  • The Women Who Lived for Danger: The Agents of the Special Operations Executive
  • Women Heroes of World War II: 26 Stories of Espionage, Sabotage, Resistance, and Rescue
  • Station X: The Codebreakers of Bletchley Park