Start by marking “Punk Rock Etiquette: The Ultimate How-to Guide for DIY, Punk, Indie, and Underground Bands” as Want to Read:

Looking to start an underground band? Don't make a move until you've read this book!

So you KNOW you are destined to rock... well you're in luck -- all you need is this book! (Please note musical talent, bandmates, a car for touring, and an uncle who owns a record label might also help.) An original blend of nonfiction how-to's about all things DIY rock created by an indi
Published September 2nd 2008 by Roaring Brook Press (first published September 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Punk Rock Etiquette, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Punk Rock Etiquette

Anthony
Feb 12, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-j-non-fiction
Punk lives! Well sort of. There hasn’t been a chart topping punk band probably since the 90’s, but it certainly lives on the local level and on the indie/underground circuit. So do you want to be the next “the Clash” or “the Ramones”? Well then you aren’t punk. If you want to be the next YOU then you might just be ready for this book.

Nichols has written and illustrated a humorous and helpful guide to starting a band, marketing it, and going on tour. This book is not going to teach you how to wri
Kat
Jul 22, 2009 Kat rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, punk
I was expecting something super-corny and contrived, but was pleasantly surprised. This was a cute, irreverent, and actually rather useful little guide for aspiring young punk/indie/underground musicians. I identified with a lot of the DIY spirit of my punk rock youth, and found myself laughing out loud at some of Nichols' comix and silly observations/advice regarding the underground music scene. He gets it. I would expect that other aging cynics that dabbled in punk bands like me will likely en ...more
Jess
Oct 10, 2009 Jess rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: HS kids forming bands
Recommended to Jess by: HS student
So you want to form a band, go on tour, make some merch? This guide's got the how-to.

One of my high schoolers ordered this through LINC and returned it saying he wants to buy the thing. So I took a look then I took it home.

It's an entertaining, informative book that I liked despite the fact that I'm not now or ever plan on forming a punk band. Nichols does a good job dividing and delivering the information. Lots of DIY info, ways to be respect(ful/ed), a casual/friendly tone, and age/school app
Teen
Nov 05, 2008 Teen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction, music
If you've ever wondered what it's like to be in an indie band and what it takes to travel around the DIY-indie-circuit, this book is a must. Out of all of the books out there geared towards people who are in a band or want to start one, Punk Rock Etiquette is by far the most original, true and funny. Nichols presents the realities of touring in a "not-even-close-to-being-famous" indie band, especially those with a DIY spirit. His take on the ins and outs of the DIY-circuit and helpful (and hilar ...more
Renay
Mar 06, 2010 Renay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers, rockes, music lovers,
Shelves: 2010
found in the youth section of the library, i thought it would be fun and interesting for my teenaged son and his aspirations of screamo-ing and death-coring the world into submission....
it was fun andinteresting. josh enjoyed it and said it was funny.
i also enjoyed it and found it funny... in places, and pretty boringin others.... but then I have no aspirations to scream the world into submission...
hmm.
the author uses cool language and interesting street words that make this a humorous read, but
Cassy Skellington
Oct 01, 2012 Cassy Skellington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
BEST. BOOK. EVER. Well, if you plan on joining a band or something. x)

But even if you're not, this is an incredibly entertaining book. It teaches you everything from how to silk screen your own band Tee, to tips on crossing the border for when you're on tour. You just can't beat how thorough it is. I rented this from my library, but I plan on buying it ASAP. I recommend all you rock band hopefuls do the same.
Colleen Venable
Jul 09, 2010 Colleen Venable rated it it was amazing
Few things make me laugh harder than the "tour journal" mini-comic section with the revenge carrot up the nose. I completely fell in love with the art in this book when I first read it and every time I open it back up I find myself giggling. The writing is also super funny, dry, and snarky enough for even the most cynical of teens. Wish this nonfiction guidebook existed when I had teenage dreams of being a screamy lead singer of a (likely quite horrible) band.
Kristian
Feb 26, 2013 Kristian rated it really liked it
I don't think I was the target audience since I don't have any aspirations of joining a punk band, but it was a fun, quick read that had useful information for kids in their teen and pre-teen years. I know it has quickly become a fixture in school libraries due to it being age appropriate reading and appealing to boys. I hope to make the band's famous trail mix sometime too!
Paden
Jun 02, 2010 Paden rated it really liked it
Shelves: 3rd-term
This is a really good book if you're into punk rock. It's an easy read but a good one. It's good because it basically has all the things you need to make a punk rock, DIY, indie or an undergroud band. It helps you imagine what being in a band would be like. The part that is surprising is that it even talks about little details that you NEED to know if you want to make a band.
Ben
Jun 10, 2012 Ben rated it liked it
Amusing little book about the fantasies and realities of band life. I'd been wanting to read it for years due to the title and remembering a good review. When I finally picked it up I remembered quickly that I'm not very interested in the scene behind the music. The cartoons and lists make the book a super-quick read, and it's funny enough to validate the mostly common sense advice.
Marjanne
Nov 18, 2008 Marjanne rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone in a band
This was a quick, fun read; though not really all that applicable to me. The author was funny, and I do think he gave some good advice to people who are in a band or looking to be in one. Mostly it was just something that looked fun at the library, and it pretty much delivered it.
Cal
Jul 27, 2011 Cal rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I'll never be in a band or anything but I picked this up from the library because it looked funny. It was pretty informative (it never hurts to learn about how other people work) and the writing style was awesomely relaxed. If you do have an indie band, it's worth checking into.
Samantha
Apr 19, 2013 Samantha rated it really liked it
This book is hilarious and cute and actually really helpful for tips on marketing and networking, even for someone who isn't in a band. The writing style is casual and entertaining and rather than massive blocks of text, the book combines words, art, lists and more. It's definitely worth a read.
Chad Oakley
Jan 12, 2013 Chad Oakley rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Cute is the first thing that comes to mind when describing this. I think it does an outstanding job of saying what needs to be said and doing so in a youth-appropriate way. This came from the school library in the high school where I work.
Alissa Bach
Feb 08, 2009 Alissa Bach rated it liked it
Shelves: humor
Having some good friends in bands, I'm very familiar with the whole "scene." That's why I expected this book to be hilarious. However, it wasn't nearly as funny as I had hoped.
Becca Loo
it was cute and silly and basic. the coolest aspect of the book was it's comic strips not it's advice.
Amelia
Oct 08, 2012 Amelia rated it really liked it
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Christopher
Dec 29, 2008 Christopher rated it really liked it
Lots of entertaining and often funny advice! Worth reading even if you aren't in a band or prolly ever won't be in one.
Maan
Dec 08, 2011 Maan rated it liked it
Because being nice, saying thank you and all that stuff is just sooooo punk. True story.
Shanna
Apr 19, 2011 Shanna rated it liked it
Music book and Owned But Haven't Read Book for April
Fiona
Jan 09, 2016 Fiona rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, nonfiction
funny, but also more informative than I had expected
Jack
May 21, 2010 Jack rated it it was amazing
AWESOME
ivaaan
ivaaan rated it it was ok
Mar 17, 2011
Luis R.
Aug 30, 2010 Luis R. rated it it was amazing
This book completely owns your face. Buy it.
Becky
Becky rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2016
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2014
Sophie .d.
Sophie .d. rated it it was ok
Oct 22, 2012
Jessica Trujillo
Jessica Trujillo rated it really liked it
May 27, 2010
Ima
Ima rated it it was amazing
May 24, 2009
  • The Book of Blood: From Legends and Leeches to Vampires and Veins
  • Angel Island: Gateway to Gold Mountain
  • Harlem's Little Blackbird: The Story of Florence Mills
  • Fireboat: The Heroic Adventures of the John J. Harvey
  • Discovering Wes Moore (The Young Adult Adaptation)
  • Encore to an Empty Room (Exile, #2)
  • DJ Rising
  • Invincible Microbe: Tuberculosis and the Never-Ending Search for a Cure
  • The Periodic Table: Elements with Style! (Basher Science)
  • Stonewall: Breaking Out in the Fight for Gay Rights
  • Imprisoned: The Betrayal of Japanese Americans during World War II
  • Secrets of the Garden: Food Chains and the Food Web in Our Backyard
  • When the Beat Was Born: DJ Kool Herc and the Creation of Hip Hop
About twice a month, I have a dream that I'm in my house and I discover a fish tank. It's dingy, overgrown with algae, and FULL of fish. They're swimming around and seem to be okay in the murky water, but I feel so horrible. I completely forgot that I had a fish tank. Those little guys must have been breeding like crazy just so they'd have something to eat.

Oh. Copy... PASTE. Travis Nichols is a wr
More about Travis Nichols...