Start by marking “Revolution for the Hell of It” as Want to Read:
Revolution for the Hell of It

Revolution for the Hell of It

While the supremely popular Steal This Book is a guide to living outside the establishment, Revolution for the Hell of It is a chronicle of Abbie Hoffman's radical escapades that doubles as a guidebook for today's social and political activist. Hoffman pioneered the use of humor, theater, and shock value to drive home his points, and in Revolution for the Hell of It he giv
Published April 27th 2005 by Da Capo Press (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Revolution for the Hell of It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Revolution for the Hell of It

Riley
Apr 10, 2011 Riley rated it liked it
Much of this book offers a playful look back at late-1960s culture. Other parts come off dated and stale. But in both cases, Abbie Hoffman's sense of humor shines.

For instance, this passage, on being forced to testify in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities.

"The hearings were adjourned to Thursday and we were ordered to return December 2, 1968 to begin our testimony. I plan to reveal everything. But I must warn the Committee that there will be a continuing language barrier. I r
DoctorM
Sep 07, 2010 DoctorM rated it liked it
I remember having a battered old paperback copy of this when I was maybe sixteen and thinking how brilliantly hilarious it was. The Yippies' day was long over by then, but down in the small towns of the Deepest South where I was growing up, I could still imagine that 1967 had never ended. At that age, I did want to be a Revolutionary, though probably for all the wrong reasons--- wearing black turtlenecks, living in West Berlin or the Lower East Side, seducing spy-thriller girls, blowing up rando ...more
Wm
Sep 24, 2008 Wm rated it did not like it
This one of the books that makes me snicker every time I hear the 1960's portrayed as such a period of change and impact. I found the book immature, lacking any clear message and lacking any solid understanding of politics or historical radicalism.
Richard
Nov 07, 2009 Richard rated it it was amazing
I've just added all the Abbie Hoffman books I read back in the early seventies. Coming out of the Army to the Art Institute of Chicago, and just as importantly, the streets of Chicago I was ripe for a prophet who was diametrically opposed to the three years I had just spent in Germany protecting the Free World from the Menace of Communism. I fell in love with Abbie Hoffman, and devoured everything he wrote. I wasn't a groupie, but if I thought Abbie would be there I'd try to be there as well. I ...more
Rick Ladd
Nov 09, 2013 Rick Ladd rated it it was amazing
I read this book shortly after it was originally published in 1968; so long ago I have virtually no memory of what it was about! I do remember it prompted me to organize an anti-war demonstration at Los Angeles Valley College, which I publicized but had no intention of actually organizing, or even showing up. It made sense at the time. Guess you had to be there . . . and I'm pretty sure I was.

Apparently, this book is enjoying somewhat of a renaissance, as evidenced by it's appearing as a new edi
Kirk
Dec 07, 2012 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having read "Steal This Book", when I found this I had to have a copy. No, I didn't have any urge to emulate Abbie Hoffman, but he was entertaining. I thought "This guy is brilliant but crazy"; it wasn't until his suicide decades later that I discovered that he really WAS mentally ill. That doesn't negate the fact that he probably had more IQ points in his little finger than many of his opponents had in their entire bodies. An interesting fellow, and the world is poorer for his loss.
Kevin
Feb 19, 2008 Kevin rated it it was amazing
The reason I give this 5 stars is that I read it when I was twelve, and at that time it absolutley blew my mind
David Trautz
Apr 18, 2007 David Trautz rated it did not like it
Nerd Alert! This guy belonged in jail.
Alisa
Sep 13, 2008 Alisa rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite autobiographies. Hilarious, tongue in cheek, and honest.
Adrian
May 25, 2014 Adrian rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
While this is extremely entertaining, informative, and instructive, it is very important not to romanticize it. Abbie was at the cutting edge of radical activism, during a period of great experimentation. Much of his writings remain as or even more applicable today as they were then, but you must read this with a critical eye if you are going to identify them. Many of his theories and tactics were experimental at the time, and were proven ineffective, and even more is obsolete in the present day ...more
Erik Graff
May 12, 2009 Erik Graff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: students of the sixties
Recommended to Erik by: Richard A. Hyde
This book, along with Ginsberg's Howl, was one of those things kids passed around amongst themselves when I was in high school. Rich Hyde was the one who loaned me Revolution for the Hell of It one night in his basement on Courtland Avenue in Park Ridge, Illinois. It may have actually belonged to his older brother, Steve, the somewhat distant source of much interesting information once he'd gone off to the University of Chicago. But, what the hell, it was FREE and it was very, very funny.
Neal
May 08, 2010 Neal rated it liked it
I think 2.5 stars would have been perfect for this book. At times, I enjoyed it. At times, I hated it. Other times, I felt like I needed to be on acid to even follow it. However, the messages about mass media, and leadership should not be overlooked. I found these topics in the book to be both interesting and insightful.
Sarah Emily
Abbie Hoffman serves as my reminder that social change can be smart and fun. this book was published 40 years ago and has a media savvy that far surpasses much of what is currently being written. that quality, combined with Hoffman's wit and astute grasp of power dynamics, makes this required reading for pretty much everyone I know.
Brooke Chasen
Nov 09, 2008 Brooke Chasen rated it liked it
This was an interesting book. I would need to reserch more history though to understand some of the terms he uses in it. I liked certain ideas though such as the fact that we arnt as free as we'd like to think.
Nicole Diamond
If it has one star I liked it a lot
If it has two stars I liked it a lot and would recommend it
If it has three stars I really really liked it a lot
If it has four stars I insist you read it
If it has five stars it was life changing
Matt
Oct 04, 2007 Matt rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who want to learn from the New Left
A great book of ideas to make social agitation fun and exciting.

let us all try to levitate the Pentagon to stop the War machine!
Pamela Graham
Oct 25, 2011 Pamela Graham rated it it was amazing
Over 40 years ago it was AWESOME!! Could it be that it is once again relevant? Hmm? May need to re-read!
Joe Halsey
Joe Halsey rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2013
Richard Riegel
Richard Riegel rated it it was amazing
May 05, 2013
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2016
Edward Young
Edward Young rated it liked it
Jan 13, 2013
Luize
Luize rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2012
Fredrick Danysh
Fredrick Danysh rated it it was ok
Jul 14, 2011
Cassin Elliott
Cassin Elliott rated it really liked it
May 04, 2012
Matthew Beckwith
Matthew Beckwith rated it it was amazing
Jun 16, 2010
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jan 14, 2009
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Aug 28, 2012
 don presnell
don presnell rated it did not like it
May 16, 2012
Alex Mackenzie
Alex Mackenzie rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2010
William Sisk
William Sisk rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2010
irresponsibilty 1 8 May 16, 2012 08:04AM
  • The Haight-Ashbury: A History
  • Do It; Scenarios of the Revolution
  • 1968 in America: Music, Politics, Chaos, Counterculture & the Shaping of a Generation
  • Hippie
  • Syd Barrett: A Very Irregular Head
  • Ten Men Dead: The Story of the 1981 Irish Hunger Strike
  • Interventions (Open Media)
  • Underground: My Life with SDS and the Weathermen
  • Miami and the Siege of Chicago
  • We Took the Streets: Fighting for Latino Rights with the Young Lords
  • The Bravest Battle: The Twenty-eight Days of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising
  • Confessions of a Raving, Unconfined Nut: Misadventures in Counter-Culture
  • Granny Made Me an Anarchist: General Franco, The Angry Brigade and Me
  • The Second Sexism: Discrimination Against Men and Boys
  • Statism and Anarchy (Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • It's Here Now (Are You?)
  • The Heart That Bleeds: Latin America Now
  • The ABC of Anarchism
Abbott Howard "Abbie" Hoffman was a social and political activist in the United States who co-founded the Youth International Party ("Yippies"). Later he became a fugitive from the law, who lived under an alias following a conviction for dealing cocaine.

Hoffman was arrested and tried for conspiracy and inciting to riot as a result of his role in protests that led to violent confrontations with pol
More about Abbie Hoffman...

“Today is the first day of the rest of your life.” 73 likes