Start by marking “When Rain Falls” as Want to Read:
When Rain Falls

When Rain Falls

We go inside when the rain comes down, but where do animals go? That depends on the kind of animal and where it lives. Bees hide in hives and ants stay safe in underground nests. Squirrels pull their long bushy tails over their heads like umbrellas. Caterpillars crawl under leaves. This new book for young readers offers a first glimpse at how different animals in different ...more
Published August 5th 2011 by Peachtree Publishers (first published March 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about When Rain Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Rain Falls

Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children who like animals & nature & anybody who enjoys rain; the curious
This book is by the same team that wrote and illustrated the superlative Under the Snow. This earlier book is superb also. It has the same last line as the later book, and it’s not my favorite but I can find no fault with the rest of the book(s). None at all. And I’m being nitpicky about the last line too because I think many children will delight in it.

The watercolors drawings are outstanding: beautiful and educational.

The narrative tells what different animals do when it rains. She starts and
Bob Mason
Sep 19, 2011 Bob Mason rated it it was amazing
I first saw this book a few years ago at the Humboldt State University Natural History Museum. I was immediately blown away by the art and the author's simple and engaging way of opening a window into the lives of animals.

I wish I had bought it then, so they could have benefited from a little profit, and my kids could have enjoyed it longer. I got it from Amazon about a month ago, and have been itching to read it to my 6 and 9 year old children. I finally did so today and neither author nor illu
Judith
Nov 08, 2010 Judith rated it it was amazing
When Rain Falls is typical of much of Melissa Stewart's writing. Both this book and Under the Snow follow the creatures of nature in their habitat and show their hidden world; in this case, during a rainy day. Beyond enjoying the book's obvious value of being entertaining, the young reader will understand the value of wetlands, fields, forests, and deserts in providing "safe harbors" for each animal in its unique habitat. The flow of language, the beautiful illustrations and the author's obvious ...more
Heather Lang
Oct 29, 2010 Heather Lang rated it it was amazing
WHEN RAIN FALLS is a soothing, lyrical journey filled with interesting facts about where animals take shelter when rain falls. The text takes us through four different habitats: a forest, a field, a wetland, and a desert. The journey ends when the rain stops, allowing readers to spot the animals in their daily activities. This is a wonderful bedtime or rainy-day book that will leave children wondering and imagining the next time rain falls.
Shelli
Oct 25, 2013 Shelli rated it really liked it
Just like people, animals react to rain in different ways. Personally when it rains I want nothing more than to curl up under a blanket, open a window and listen to the rain fall as I’m enjoying whatever novel I am reading. When Rain Falls is a little read that describes how different animals in various habitats respond to the rain. The text and illustrations are simple and perfect for young elementary age students on a rainy day or any day.
Joannie Duris
Dec 13, 2010 Joannie Duris rated it it was amazing
A beautiful, lyrical story about animals both big and small and how they cope with a rainstorm. Have you ever wondered how a fragile butterfly survives the pounding rain? Tiny ants? Wonder no more. Kids will be fascinated by this glimpse into the natural world and animal behavior. Visit the author's website for more rainy day fun.
Janet
While this is not a hard core nonfiction picture book, it still is nonfiction with beautiful illustrations. For me the deciding factor between picture book and nonfiction was the spadefoot toads who actually come to the surface mate, lay eggs and burrow back into the sand when the rain stops. This is a lovely peaceful presentation of the animals in the rain.
Carol Ekster
Nov 18, 2012 Carol Ekster rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful picture book. It models beautiful language with great alliteration and strong verbs as well as teaches about what happens in nature when rain falls. Educators and families alike will love this book that makes a wonderful read aloud with lovely illustrations.
Carol Scrimgeour
Jan 13, 2016 Carol Scrimgeour rated it it was amazing
Melissa Stewart came to my school and had our second-graders perform this book as a Readers' Theatre. The performers and the younger kids watching absolutely loved it. Don't miss the companion books Under the Snow, and Beneath the Sun.
Traci Bold
Aug 03, 2016 Traci Bold rated it it was amazing
WHEN RAIN FALLS people and animals everywhere change their routine. Author Melissa Stewart and illustrator, Constance R. Bergum show you how.

Lilting prose and lifelike illustrations capture each moment perfectly.

Published by Peachtree Atlanta.

#animals #rainydays #PB
The Library Lady
Apr 07, 2008 The Library Lady rated it really liked it
Wonderful book for any child who wonders what animals do when it rains. Graceful intelligent text is complimented by handsome illustrations.
Nicole
May 10, 2015 Nicole rated it really liked it
A must for the library shelves. A perfect-picture-science book. An everlasting nature story that will only be withdrawn from shelves due to the pages falling out from being read over and over again.
Erin
Mar 29, 2015 Erin rated it really liked it
This book shows nicely how different animals in different habitats react when it starts to rain.

Good for preschool or toddler storytimes.
Kerry
Kerry rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Nancy Coston
Nancy Coston rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Genevieve
Genevieve rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Rivka Abramowitz
Rivka Abramowitz rated it really liked it
Jun 02, 2014
Dancingdiva
Dancingdiva rated it liked it
Aug 03, 2016
Susan Erhardt
Apr 18, 2008 Susan Erhardt rated it really liked it
A nice story of what various animals do when it rains.
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2015
Karen Sonner
Karen Sonner rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2016
Rev Gary
Rev Gary rated it liked it
Feb 07, 2012
Karen
Nice environmental concept book for the young. What do animals do when it rains?
Inara
Inara rated it really liked it
Jun 18, 2016
L.K. Sukany
L.K. Sukany rated it liked it
Sep 26, 2016
Matthew
Mar 01, 2012 Matthew rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-books
This simple poetic tale of animals' reaction to rain is a fun, fast read. Give it a look.
Monica
Monica rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Tanya
Tanya rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2016
Bdvjuvbooks
Bdvjuvbooks rated it liked it
Dec 01, 2016
Patricia Kemp Blackmon
Patricia Kemp Blackmon rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2013
Melissa Stewart is the award-winning author of more than 180 science and nature books for children. She offers a wide range of programs for schools, libraries, nature centers, and conferences. www.melissa-stewart.com"
More about Melissa Stewart...