Start by marking “Jessi and the Awful Secret (The Baby-Sitters Club, #61)” as Want to Read:
Jessi and the Awful Secret (The Baby-Sitters Club, #61)

Jessi and the Awful Secret (The Baby-Sitters Club #61)

3.6 of 5 stars 3.60  ·  rating details  ·  703 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Jessi discovers that one of the girls in her dance class is anorexic. A sensitive look at a common problem among teenage girls.
Published January 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published February 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Jessi and the Awful Secret, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jessi and the Awful Secret

Ciara
i feel like there are 76 different plotlines in this book. we open with jessi at ballet class. at the end of class, mme noelle tells everyone that the ballet school is going to be hosting a children's beginning ballet class for local under-privileged youth, & she asks for volunteers that might want to work with the kids. jessi volunteers right away & is surprised that more of her classmates are not chomping at the bit to spend their regularly scheduled dance class time (for which they pa ...more
Sally
I generally liked the Jessi books, and this one teamed up a couple of my other interests - ballet and eating disorders... yes, I was a weird child, okay? But I kind of liked reading about girls with eating disorders. Maybe looking for tips? I don't know, but looking back, probably.
Laura Hughes
Jessi is happy to get to know ballet classmate Mary Bramstedt better when they work together as TAs on a short-term ballet class for underprivileged elementary school kids. But she’s concerned when she noticed Mary making derogatory comments about her body, refusing food on a TA outing, and seeming weak, ill, and distracted in class. The BSC researches eating disorders and armchair-diagnoses Mary with anorexia (although that didn’t work out too well the last time). Jessi reaches out to Mary, but ...more
April

Awesome books that girls will love! And the
Kate
Jessi stars in another Very Special Episode, this time about an anorexic girl in her ballet class... I was wondering when this cliche would appear!
Maria M. Elmvang
Jessi's books tend to be my favourites - especially the one about her dancing.
Susan
Oct 19, 2010 Susan marked it as to-read
Excellent mystery, suspense, with a healthy helping of history
Amelia
Jul 29, 2013 Amelia marked it as to-read
i want to read it
Pashi
Pashi added it
Jun 25, 2015
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
ALISHA FRANCIS
ALISHA FRANCIS marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Linda Jeanette Puglesi
Linda Jeanette Puglesi marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
  • The War Between the Twins (Sweet Valley Twins, #37)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • The Highland Twins at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #18)

More about Ann M. Martin...

The Baby-Sitters Club (1 - 10 of 133 books)
  • The Summer Before (The Baby-Sitters Club, #0.5)
  • Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1)
  • Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls (The Baby-sitters Club, #2)
  • The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)
  • Mary Anne Saves the Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #4)
  • Dawn and the Impossible Three (The Baby-Sitters Club, #5)
  • Kristy's Big Day (The Baby-Sitters Club, #6)
  • Claudia and Mean Janine (The Baby-Sitters Club, #7)
  • Boy-Crazy Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #8)
  • The Ghost at Dawn's House (The Baby-Sitters Club, #9)
Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitters Club, #1) A Corner of the Universe A Dog's Life: The Autobiography of a Stray The Doll People (Doll People, #1) The Truth About Stacey (The Baby-Sitters Club, #3)